1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Horse Racing Any Different Than Dogfighting?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Ps104_33, May 5, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think there is a huge difference in horses racing and dogs fighting to the death.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

It seems that horses are racing to the death. You dont have to whip a pit bull to get them to fight. They want to fight. Are the horses enjoying what they are enduring?

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

How many horses die in horse racing compared to how many dogs die in dog fighting?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The intent of dog fighting is that they get hurt and die. Horse racing doesnt even come close. This is obvious and really shouldnt have to be explained. But since PETA is on their high horse about the kentucky Derby and the horse that broke two legs this is now a public issue. Nutballs every one of them.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, two high-profile deaths make it dogfighting?

A college basketball player collapsed and died the other day, playing ball.

Does that make basketball equal to dogfighting?

Makes it all sound silly, eh?

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it does.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, as a horse person, I can tell you a few things.

Horses are creatures that are not created to run like this. At 3 years old, their legs aren't finished growing and their bones are not fully solidified. Add in breeding to have finer legs and stronger muscles, and you have a recipe for disaster.

No, horses don't necessarily love to run like this. Hey - my guy also doesn't love to go in to his stall at night but it's what we do. Racing in and of itself isn't cruel but running babies is IMO. A horse in it's stall is loosing money so they start the horses racing young rather than waiting to 4 or 5 when they are more physically mature and able to handle the stress.

Also in the racing industry, there is a lot of excess. Horses that are not good runners can be sold for meat. Prized mares give birth to a foal who is then given to another mare to foster - who's own baby was taken away from her and sold at much too young an age or even put down. This way the prized mare can be bred again much sooner.

A horse is it's legs. A race horse is it's fine, sleek and muscled legs. But those legs are very delicate and add in specialized shoeing and trimming of the hooves, you're dealing with something that CAN snap very easily as we saw on Saturday.

I wouldn't equate horse racing with dog fighting but I'd say that it is not a humane sport and one that should rethink it's values.

I'm going to the barn today and bringing an extra cookie to my boys. That whole thing just broke my heart.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I don't believe horse racing is equal to dog fighting, I am not a fan of horse racing. It is clearly not something that should be supported by animal lovers. The latest incident at the Kentucky Derby should prove the point.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a big difference between horse racing and basketball. Basketball players choose to play the game. They understand the risks and they were willing to take the chance. In horse racing, the horse has no choice. The horse is put into the sport regardless of whether or not it is (a) healthy or (b) painful for the horse. I am not against racing, but people can race cars, boats, bikes, and in running. There is no need to force animals to do our racing for us.

11. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

I’ve never kept up with horse racing, but on ESPN.com they had an interview with a horse racing analyst who said that here in the US horse trainers inject medication into horses that can numb pain that any horse maybe experiencing before a race and that IF Eight Belles was experiencing any pain, or medical problems, the horse didn’t know about it until it was too late.

The analyst said that anywhere else in the world, medicating a horse prior to a race is illegal.

InXC
    -

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Dog fighting is for the purpose of violence, torture and death. You have to beat them and torture them to train them to fight in the ring. This is not true of horse racing, and never has been. The intent is not violence, torture and death. How often does a horse die from racing, looking at the long and extenive history of horse racing, I think very few have.

Pit bulls were bred to fight, trained by extreme cruilty.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isnt it illegal here?

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is called a nerve block and we're considering it possibly for the horse that I'm training if we can figure things out fully. He has an old injury that is impeding his work and while there's nothing that can be done about it, further work will not damage it.

As in any sport, there are drugs that are allowed and others that are not. I'm not fully aware of what kinds of drugs are not allowed in racing, I know that the vets are USUALLY pretty good and will not allow a horse to race if it's in pain or injured. A horse must prove to be "sound" before it's raced so I don't think that normally a horse will race with an injury that could be fatal. But then again, there are always those on the fringe....

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

No, they're not even remotely similar.

By the way, if I had gone ahead and bet the trifecta I planned on betting, and not chickened out, I would have won $37,000.

So always go with your first instinct.

PS, most jockeys and trainers are Mexicans, so it would actually be poor Mexicans and not rich white people.

16. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

That’s what the ESPN guy was saying…any horse that has a suspect injury can be proven “sound” to race if it’s injected with painkillers…the point of the ESPN analysis was that the jockey couldn’t see the signs of problems in his horse until it was too late.

Another problem the ESPN guy said was that when trainers pump a race horse with medication to out perform a “genetically” medical problem the horse at the end of his short career will pass-on this problem to another generation…the problem was hid to begin with.

InXC
    -

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish all of the tracks would switch to the synthetic surfaces as it has cut down on the number of injuries where it has been installed.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, many medications are illegal to use in horses that are racing. So it's not like they can shoot up and go. Think of any other major sport that also has drug rules.