1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Hyles-Anderson a Diploma Mill?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Charles E.Smith, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Charles E.Smith

Charles E.Smith New Member

I know that HAC isn't the most popular college here but I'm not asking if you like it or not. My question is, Would you consider HAC to be a diploma mill like some of you consider Andersonville,Covington, and other unaccredited schools to be, or does a school have to be distance education to be a diploma mill. Also would you consider other IFB colleges that are unaccredited like Crown,West Coast,Golden State, (not the same as Golden State School of Theology)Landmark etc. to be diploma mills or would you consider them to be schools that while you may disagree with them provide a good education for a prospective pastor?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

To me a diploma mill would be one of those fly-by-night internet outfits. As to HAC, like anything else you get what you pay for. You can't expect a Harvard education on a Hammond budget.

Like many before me have said, the quality of the education goes up with the quality of the administrators and teachers.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

no, they aren't diploma mills. Ive got experience at West Coast, and I can tell you they give you a serious education.

The others you mentioned I haven't attended, but I know people from all of them, and kids who are actually attending there right now. They are being educated as well. It depends on what you are looking for in a school as to whether you'd agree with them or not. Some are looking more for straight academics, while those particular schools tend to focus on getting the kids involved in ministry experiences while they are being educated.

But a diploma mill would be more of a place that just sends you a piece of paper without having any classes, isn't it?

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I think you are making an important distinction here, Mom. A terrible slur like "diploma mill" should be reserved for outfits such as you mention. Other schools may stand or fall on their product. I think that, so long as they are open about their program and standards, it's the consumer's job to decide whether to attend there.

I've seen great pastors come from bare-bones schools, and I've seen losers come from top-notch, 20K/yr schools. I've learned to afford others the liberty to make their choices and answer to their own master, not to me.

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

Charles,

As a grad of HAC (M.Ed., 1978), I wouldn't consider it a diploma mill. I would, however, consider it substandard in its level of teaching and requirements for students.

I do not consider Andersonville or Covington to be diploma mills, but, again, I do consider their programs to be substandard when I look at their faculty and requirements. In addition, I consider Andersonville, Covington, and the like to be presumptuous in their degree offerings. At least Hyles-Anderson doesn't offer DMins and PhDs as do Andersonville and Covington.

A diploma mill requires little or no work at all for a degree. Perhaps a short paper and, of course, your money!

If I were an independent Baptist looking for a solid school, I would probably look to Bob Jones. I don't know enough about others to recommend them.

Bill

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A diploma mill is "buying" a degree. You pay XYZ, attend a seminar, and get a degree.

A really bad "kawlege" offering SHAM "degrees" that are in reality worth little more than the diploma mill is one that has SOME requirements, but 99.9% course content and real education would be "mickey mouse" (no slur intended to Disney).

HAC would fit into that hands down.

Now, that said, HAC would be fine as a Practical Bible Institute, giving hands-on for bus mechanics, etc, and some rudimentary Bible classes. Maybe a 1 year diploma. That would be honest. THEN go on for a regular 4-year degree from a real college/university.

But "college"? Laughingstock to all but those who have bought into the mentality of that ilk.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Pipedude,

very wise indeed.

[​IMG]

8. HACgrad

HACgrad New Member

I read with some amusement the comments made by the men of God who post in this forum regarding education. The thinly veiled pride in their academic achievements and the intense need to put down anyone who might not be as "smart" as they might be, are qualities that I find disturbing in men that are serving an Almighty God.

Do you think that God looks on your "educated" mind and thinks "That is impressive" or that God is somehow humbled by your incredible brain power?

I applaud anyone who has reached any level of academic achievement but only because I know the challenge that faces someone seeking a degree. Those in this forum who have earned doctorate degree deserve a certain amount of respect and I believe we should give honor to those who have earned such degrees in the study of God and His Word. At the same time I cringe when I read the disparaging remarks by such men when they rail against the educational accomplishments of others and wonder if they truly deserve that respect.

Yes, my forum name indicates that I graduated from Hyles-Anderson College and I can personally attest that Hyles-Anderson is NOT a diploma mill. It took me 8 years to get my 4 year degree. In those 8 years the degree that I obtained was really a by-product or perhaps you might say a side effect of the character that I gained.

Since graduating from there I also attended the business college at the University of Northern Colorado. This college is rated one of the top "undergrad only" business colleges in the country and recently won an esteemed National Quality award. I graduated summa cum laude in 4 years with a BS in Business with a minor in Economics while working a full time job and still being a parent to my children.

I relate this last part so you understand that I am considered an "educated" person by the world's standards, not just by my Hyles-Anderson friends. I don't think Hyles-Anderson is a "diploma mill" but if you are going to school strictly because of the degree and prestige it brings, I would strongly recommend not going to Hyles-Anderson College. If you are looking for a school where you can learn to serve God in an intensely practical environment... well that's pretty much the definition of Hyles-Anderson.

9. AlexL

AlexL New Member

I agree with HACGrad

I agree with HACGrad. God does not look upon the educational establishment you graduated from. In fact the more prestigious the establishment, the more risk you have of growing in pride and your own ability rather than humility and reliance on God.

What matters is serving God and growing in the character of Christ. Also, the decision of educational establishment should be made with lots of prayer and seeking the Lord and not with the world's ideals.

I see a lot of pride here and wordly wisdom, and it makes me sad. :tear:

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Smith Reply!!

Bro. Smith,

I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Bob & Broadus. I do not believe that either of them has a sense of "spiritual pride" b/c of his educational experience. I too have been accused of the same thing here on the BB.

And I personally "don't have a dog in that fight" concerning the question that you posed in your OP. I do trust them both enough however to take their opinions into consideration b/c they are both "tried and true" men of God whom have been used of our Lord greatly.

Some people's sense of accomplishment and competence and confidence is seen by others in their understandings and perceptions as pride. This is not the problem of these two great men.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

11. IronWill

IronWill New Member

I failed most of my classes there. So I'd say "no" to an extent. Their educational standards may not be up to par, but you do have to learn in order to get a degree.