1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is Hyper calvinism even to be considered 'real cal?"

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Yeshua1, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You wouldn't say Calvinism was born during that time, so I don't believe its fair to claim Arminianism was either. Both of these views (in different forms) existed long before the reformation as is evidenced in historical writings on the subject (which, btw, the more 'Calvinistic' (deterministic) interpretation didn't appear until Augustine, whereas the Early church fathers seem to strongly support the more common 'free will' approach)

I don't know of any non-Calvinistic Baptists who deny being Protestant. Can you name any notable ones?

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Thanks.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. . .the term was in usage from the early 1800s, employed by all manner of Baptist schism groups before they (eventually) splintered off:

The Stone-Campbell Movement: The Story of the American Restoration Movement by Leroy Garrett, pp. 144-145:

Primitive Baptists of the Wiregrass South by John G. Crowley, pp. 59-60:

http://www.atlanticdistrict.com/about-us/

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    know that some here would tend to view all calvinists as being "hyper", but my OP was directed to those whose viewpoint would be that God will save His own regardless of ANY human activity such as missions and witnessing/preaching....

4. Herald

Herald New Member

I think you misread me. Calvinism is a product of the Reformation; at least according to the theological position that developed through the Continental and Scottish Reformers. If you are asking me whether Calvin's view of predestination and election predated him, of course it did. But Calvin became an articulate voice and the term "Calvinism" stuck. So, while the doctrine attributed to Calvin did not have its beginning during the Reformation period the theological tradition did.

You do not? Try free will Baptists (full Arminians). They deny any link to the Protestant Reformation. Trail of Blood Baptists deny they are products of the Reformation, tracing their roots back to John the Baptist. These two groups are certainly not Calvinistic.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Okay. Gotcha now...

I'm not familiar with that group. I'm a Southern Baptist and I've always thought of the term "protestant" as meaning "non Catholic Christian" (like Gentile means 'non-Jew').

From web source: Protestant: It has been defined as "any of several church denominations denying the universal authority of the Pope and affirming the Reformation principles of justification by faith in Jesus alone, the priesthood of all believers, and the primacy of the Bible as the only source of revealed truth" and, more broadly, to mean Christianity outside "of an Orthodox or Catholic church".[1]

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you.
    I agree again. (I better not let this become a habit!)

Phil Johnson,who started Pyromaniacs,has called Tim Challies :"The world's most famous Christian blogger." I will quote a snip from an article Mr. Challies wrote back on 4/22/04 called Reformed:A Definition. :"Christiandom is separated into four main divisions:Eastern Orthodox,Roman Catholic,Protestant and Cults. Protestanism is generally divided into two camps:Arminian and Reformed. The vast majority of Protestants hold to Arminian doctrine."

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free Will Baptists deny any link to the Protestant Reformation?

Huh?

Free Will Baptist Welch College:

http://www.welch.edu/about-beliefs

http://www.welch.edu/about-mission

Their commencement speaker this year was Reformation scholar Timothy George:

http://www.welch.edu/news/44/2013/2013-04-26#.Ulcho1Nr1iw

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trail of Blood Baptists are "certainly not Calvinistic"?

Huh?

http://www.evangelical-times.org/archive/item/1107/Historical/Rolfe-Barnard---1904-1969--Part-2-/

The Trail of Blood was published by Clarence Walker and his Ashland Avenue Baptist Church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.