1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a sin to get into debt in order recieve an education?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by BCF Jeff, Jul 8, 2006.

1. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

I am beginning my seminary training at a well respected and accredited seminary. The Fall 2006 tuition is $184 per credit and I will require 91 credits to attain a MDiv.

Without receiving student loans I can afford 1 three credit coarse a semester and three semesters a year for a total of 9 credit per year. At this rate I am looking a ten year degree program.

Now I am aware of grants and scholarships. While in college I received Pell Grants and a scholarship from my state convention (I'm a SBC) I also received a state funded scholarship for attending an accredited college within the state I graduated high school. None of these sources are available for graduate level work.

No there are some job options. I am a full time pastor of a small church and am paid fairly considering the size and wealth of the congregation. I could seek to pastor a larger church, but with out a masters degree I am at a disadvantage. I could quit the pastorate and make more money as a high school teacher. (Our County needs teachers and their starting salaries are higher than mine. I also meet the hiring requirements.)

Then there are student loans. I received some student loans in my quest for a BA. They were government subsidized and on deferment until I graduated. I still owe monthly payments and they would again be deferred will attending seminary. There are two draw backs to securing additional student loans. One, when I graduate there will be higher payment which will require better paying churches. I could no longer afford to serve a small church. The more a grow in my Christian walk the more I desire to avoid accumulating additional debt.

I guess the question I am getting to is, Is it sinful to become so indebted?

Thanks ahead for any thoughts you might share.

:praying:

2. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Additionally, I feel like I may be setting I bad example to those I serve by not living within my means if a borrow to pay for seminary.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Sin? IMHO - probably not.

Unwise? IMHO - probably so.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it would be a sin.

Bottom line is this: you have to do what you feel God wants you to do, debt or not.

5. UZThD

UZThD New Member

sign up for the Newburgh Seminary PhD in Bible...only six courses a dissertation of 50 pages, and $2100...problem solved!:sleeping_2:

#5 UZThD, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2006
  6. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Thanks but I think I need a masters degree prior to enrolling in a Phd.:saint:

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm sure you could work something out....maybe an extra course or two...for 500 bucks! You could get a Master in Degree Milling!

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

You need to start getting out of debt.

If God is calling you to serve smaller churches, stay out of debt!

Pay off what you owe, then do distance learning (Liberty) at your own pace!

But STAY OUT OF DEBT!

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

They sell those too..no problem!!:sleeping_2:

10. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Thanks for the advice. I've already started to but still have some way to go.

11. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

This sounds like a degree mill and I would rather work for ten years and earn something than to just throw away the money just to have an astrick next to my name.

:rolleyes:

12. gekko

gekko New Member

how much money did the disciples have when Jesus sent them out to spread the gospel?

none. and they had debts. they had to pay taxes.

but they had no money. the Lord will provide.

13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was joking. :laugh:

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

The Lord will provide is not the same thing as running up debt.

If the Lord will provide, then you don't have to go into debt to go to school, do you.

If education is what you are looking for, then going to school slowly while you pastor is terrific. But pay as you go! And ten years later, you will have your M.Div. or M.R.E and you will be thankful for how God has provided and for what you have learned!

Blessings!

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

me? joke?

16. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I wouldn't say that it is a sin to go into debt to get a seminary degree, though you probably need to look at the payback arrangements and your potential income.

My home church had the attitude that we were benefitting from our pastor's education and, regardless of how long ago he went to school, his debt for college and seminary stopped at his second anniversary as our pastor. Likewise the staff. Pastor's been there 23 years, discipleship pastor 17, youth pastor 12, family pastor 12 and administrator 10.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
    (James 4:17)
    If you already are questioning if it is a sin, then to you it probably is.
    Don't forget that God Loves to give His children what they need. God can provide, and has before, for people to go to college, buy a house, etc.
    This may also be God saying that He wants you to go in another direction with some point of your life.That is up to you and Him.

18. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

I do not know yet what I will decide. A dear brother and fellow minister has suggested that a student loan may be part of God's provision.

This thread is not so much me asking you to tell me what to do as it is getting to know how others see this. Also to possibly hear from others who faced this dilemma and what hey did.

19. kristensdaddy

kristensdaddy New Member

Debt

Debt, in an of itself is not a sin. Certain types and amounts of debt may be unwise. Student loans would be much more sensible than paying for school with a credit card.

20. UZThD

UZThD New Member

. Also to possibly hear from others who faced this dilemma and what hey did.[/quote]

==

I faced this and so my answer came out of Africa.