1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a sin to get into debt in order recieve an education?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by BCF Jeff, Jul 8, 2006.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess the question I am getting to is, Is it sinful to become so indebted?

which it is not.

debt isn't a bad thing, you can use some of that debt as leverage in growing yourself fiscally if you do it right.

don't feel bad about taking out loans for schooling. Personally I didn't have to take out loans for my seminary but I did for my undergrad so no worries. Also get seminary out of the way as soon as possible and get into a Kingdom focused church that takes care of its staff.

I think you're on the right track! Be encouraged! Too many people will try to hinder us on our journeys with dealing with minute details. Don't be hindered! You're doing great

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ditto.

I wish I wouldn't have owed after seminary. We had a disastrous 1st and 2nd year of married life financially.

We are now debt free after paying off thousands and thousands of dollars in debt--much related to school, some to illness, some to stupidity.

If I had to do it over again, I'd be too tired.

er, I mean, I would NOT borrow money.

But that's just me.

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

So the God who can meet your needs wants you to be in debt up to your eyeballs?

I don't think so.

If you are debt free, you can go anywhere God leads you - to the wealthy church or to the poor church.

But if you are in debt, guess what? You are stuck!

Why are you waffling? You said you felt led to pastor small churches. Great!

What's the problem?

Take school slowly, stay out of debt, and serve the Lord. I don't see what the problem is?

Enlighten me, please.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you feel called to smaller churches, then don't take out the loans. You most likely won't need the M.Div. to get small church positions, so you can take your time and pay as you go.

Now, if you feel like you are called to a ministry outside of the smaller churches, the M.Div. is going to be needed (and for some of the larger churches, maybe a later doctorate). If this is the case, then you may need to take out some loans to finish the degree.

Just to add to the discussion: how much debt would you have to take out? Are we talking 15k or something like 60k?

5. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Around 15k.

6. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Paul 33 makes a great point.
    My Pastor has been out of Bible College for 6 years now and is still struggling with the debt he obtained while in college. Be careful.

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

There is no way I would go into debt to secure a seminary education. God's provision for me was not a loan but jobs, and I spent a lot of nights with little sleep thoughout my education. Completing that journey (PhD--SBTS) with no debt allowed me to take a smaller church without having to worry about repaying a student loan.

If I could afford only a 3-hour course a semester, then that is what I would do. You never know how God may provide in the future which will allow you to increase your load.

Our youngest daughter will complete her BA at a private college this December, debt free. She has worked hard in a day care, studied hard, and we drive older cars and took no vacations. It can be done.

Taking out a loan, IMO, is not faith--it is presumption. It's an enslavement the minister does not need.

You cannot do anything about the loans you already have (other than repay them as quickly as possible), but you don't have to compound (no pun intended!) the problem by taking on additional debt.

Blessings,
    Bill

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Agreed.

I'm getting my masters. I have a son in seminary, so I know that what I am doing cannot be legitimately compared to an MDiv, but I'm taking one or two classes at a time and paying cash. Is this a possibility? I know it will take you forever, but you are working too, so I think there are some good reasons for not taking on too much.

Another advantage of taking just a few courses is that I really have time to practice what I'm learning -- practice it enough to remember it and enjoy it. Just a thought.

9. joseph322

joseph322 New Member

well

I left seminary because i dont really think i was learning the Bible. And prefessour said to me actually a dean, said that its more academic and we trust your home learning the Bible. I said wont i pay you to tell me five books i can read at home to get a certificate. And then i said to him why do deans and president say that yall are authority. Your not my pastor. This was the other guy came by the office easdropping said because were teaching the Bible here. I said not in hardly any of my classes ,and if it is not that much. I said i pay yall for service thats it and im not getting my monies worth. He said well we must be doing something right were being blessed by God. I said God has blessed mediocracy before. In my life He has ,doesnt mean He's pleased. He rather spew that out of me.lol. I dont think Hes pleased with our seminaries. He then told me well you might think of leaving. I said your right im not paying for something i dont think God might not be pleased with especially in my life. He said well you wont get in a church hardly because most require degree now especially new church starts. I said God is bigger then that. I twill just take time. I had class on a book of the bible. We went through weeks of if paul wrote it or if he didnt or what year was it 32 or 33. One the last week we went exposistionally through the book didnt finish . But i new what 50 guys said who wrote it who didnt and on my own found 50 more, why didnt we go over that . Guys argument have to be ready to defend the word. I said well why dont we learn about the other 50 guys. Not time. Oh i still havent been asked by christian or lost person about any of it to defend, but the words we didnt go over ive had to many times. Wow got that off my chest. Sorry guys and Girls. Its just not worth it to me. If alot of us would stand up to it instaed of networking maybe our seminaries would be better. Not worth it to me. But i do have peace about it. And it wasnt a money debt thing to me. It was i had no peace in my heart till after that. God provided the money for me i worked two jobs but did it. I see weoman though working with kids to get husbands through and there in rec room playing pool. That has to stop. Sorry side tracked. If your like me dont think its quiting let church or minister tell you that. Its a lie. I love education . I still studying online just plain Bible courses

#29 joseph322, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Joseph

While I am confused about what you have tried to communicate, and while, as a retired English teacher, I winced unceasingly at your syntax :), I have no doubt that God can use people whether they go to seminary or not!

As a highschool drop out, I once wrote as you do. My first College year, after being saved, included English grammar, and it "killed" me! But even in that first year, really being a big dummy in education, I could still preach in the prison and at the rescue mission and on a street corner in downtown San Diego and I did.

Still, I have no doubt that God uses the education of some as His tool.

Two hours ago I graded a DE student's paper on Romans of about 40 pages on 62 exegetical problems only answered with lexicons and grammars and commentaries on the Greek. His answers were very good! The student has completed now six courses in NT GREEK. God can use that student's understanding and He does.

BUT:

About a year ago we changed churches. I now am the teaching an adult SS study in the new church on The Trinity of God and The Incarnation of God The Son.

Last Sunday a SS student asked me why we joined. I explained to him that one strong reason was Jo, a 70 year old dear saint, who stands in the foyer and hugs with genuine Christian love those who come into the church. Those hugs speak at "doctoral levels" in terms of Christian graces.

In a week or so many untrained teenagers from our church will visit a mission church in Mexico bringing food, clothing, and help in replacing the church roof. These Christian acts by youngsters are as courses in BAs and MDIVs in the Spirit's Fruit in God's eyes IMO.

These examples demonstrate that service and personal value do not always require education and degrees.

Nevertheless I think that a pastor needs a good education, so I encourage you to do whatever you can to get that if the ministry is your goal..

Blessings,.

Bill G.

#30 UZThD, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

BCF

Could you teach school and pastor part time while taking a class or two, at least until you have some cash in reserve?

I know that things happen and you cannot work sometimes - been there. But, if you can stay mostly out of debt - it will be easier long term.

Wayne