1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin for a man and a woman to live together who are not married?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, May 2, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

My pastor has been preaching on 5 topics of current American culture. On May 1, 2005, his sermon was entitled "So what's the Problem? with Cohabitation?" [meaning a man living with a woman.]

The following are some of my sermon notes and I may not be doing justice to my pastor. I do have a hearing loss and by taking notes I may have missed important points as pastor preached.

If I am quoting pastor correctly then in the US CENSUS of 2000 there were 11 million people living together. This has crept into American churches. Why went wrong? #1--few Model Marriages. #2 Effects of divorce. #3 Lack of Confidence [in judging a lifelong mate. They were afraid to make a wrong choice.]

It just doesn't work. #1 It does not work Biblically. Genesis 2:24. #2 It doesn't work practically. Those living together have greater chances of divorce, greater chance of domestic violence, greater chance of depression {5 times more likely to be depressed for women}...Less financial stability. They don't have to share money or resources. They tend to have less healthy relationships than a marriage relationship(s)..People have feelings. Anyone can test drive a car and leave the car and the car won't mind. People have feelings. The average duration of cohabitation is 1.3 years. [what happens when they break up, mr. messy wonders?]

How do we respond? More importantly, what did Jesus do? John 4:14 and following. Jesus and the Samaritian woman. #1. Don't Avoid the Issue. Jesus didn't. He went out of His way to reach her. #2. Don't Judge the Person. Jesus saw her potential. Which one of us does not have a past? Which one of us has not sinned? Which one of us does not need God's mercy and grace? She got it right with God. One cannot undo the past. #3. Don't Minimize God's Power. God changed her. God can change us. By God's grace He is working with you (and me) and can use you (and me)......this ends my quoting of my limited sermon notes.

We need the right attitude, the right approach wnen we speak to someone privately about this matter. We may have to earn the right to speak this way to a family member, a friend, or a co-worker.

Is this a problem only in the USA? What is your thinking? I am willing to listen. Thanks, mr. messy.