1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin to bless someone insincerely?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by righteousdude2, Oct 6, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, [please explain and share Scripture to back your view up]...

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, [please explain and share Scripture to back your view up]...

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No opinion, this is beyond my paygrade :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. This is my view of using a blessing wrongly!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's it...some of the folks on the forum will offer a blessing or sorts to someone who has insulted or put them down....so, I need to ask, would it be a sin to throw a blessing that was, in fact, "sarcastic?"

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It would be kind of hard to actually judge the heart, wouldn't it?

Doesn't the scripture teach 'Bless them that curse you?'

3. Herald

Herald New Member

Paul writes,

Romans 14:23 ...and whatever is not from faith is sin.

There is a universal application here. If an insincere blessing is given to someone then the one who gave it has sinned. But C4K is correct. It is difficult to judge the heart on a message board. I guess it would depend on the nature of the dialog between two people and whether the blessing would seem inappropriate given the tenor of the conversation.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

I think folks that end every post with "blessings" or some other such ending are just putting on a false show of piety. It is obvious they don't mean it, especially after they have just insulted you or implied you are not saved. They think it makes them look religious. It is a false show.

I don't know if it is sin, but it makes them look fake.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yes.

I wonder if feeling another's blessing is insincere is actually a reflection of the heart attitude toward the one who gave the blessing.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

You probably wonder about all sorts of things.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. I usually feel badly when people insult me because I can truthfully say I usually wish no harm to anyone (of course we can't know our own hearts).

I say usually because sometimes I have wished for the reaping part of the sowing and reaping concept for them.

Having said that and all else fails then I think on this passage:

Matthew 5
    44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
    45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
    46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
    47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
    48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.​

I am not perfect and try to bring to mind my own sins when I get vindictive.​

HankD​

#7 HankD, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013