1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it a sin to think evil thoughts?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree. There is no way that he ever felt the desire to do somehting that is sin.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Mark you are correct that any evil thought is sin. The bible says it is;
    Mat 15:18,19
    But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
    For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

We know that the Lord never sinned so because of that we also know that He never had an evil thought.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The fact that the Lord was hungry in the wilderness and the devil tempted Him to change the stones to bread does not mean that He ever entertained the thought even for a moment. If He did then He sinned according to Mat 15. You are not understanding the Hebrew passage. It never says He had the thought to do evil and just grit His teeth and did not do it as you are suggesting.

#23 freeatlast, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I know what the scriptures say, and the scriptures say he suffered being tempted. What does this mean? The scriptures say he was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin.

I am amazed at your view FAL, you are always telling us how as Christians we do not have to sin (and I agree), that we can choose to do what is right in the face of temptation. According to you, Jesus never experienced this as a man, he was oblivious to temptation, like a rock or stone.

I believe Jesus came in the flesh and had the same lust and desires we all have, yet he never obeyed these lusts when they would cause him to sin. He lived just as a born again person would, having victory over sin by faith and obedience to God's word.

Luk 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
    And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
    44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

As a man, Jesus did not want to endure the sufferings on the cross, nor the separation from his Father. He not only considered not going through these sufferings, but actually prayed that he might not have to go through them. But in the end he was obedient and submitted to his Father's will.

So here, Jesus entertained a thought other than his Father's will and even seemed to desire it, yet he submitted to his Father's will and therefore did not sin.

The scriptures say Jesus came in the flesh, and those that deny this are the spirit of antichrist.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Now was that really necessary???

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, it was. God felt it was necessary to say in scripture didn't he?

1 Jhn 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
    Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

The scriptures say that EVERY MAN is tempted when he is drawn away of his OWN lust and enticed. Every man would include Jesus would it not? The temptation arises within a person's own fleshly lusts and desires. Jesus came in the flesh and had these desires. Yet he did not obey them when they would cause him to sin.

This belief that to consider a sin is the same as committing a sin is absurd. Every time we are confronted with a temptation would be a sin if this is true.

An analogy. Say you made a mistake at work and damaged an expensive piece of equipment. Later you are asked if you are the one who damaged it. You are fearful because you might lose your job. For a moment you consider denying you damaged it. But as a Christian you do not want to lie and so you confess you are the one who caused the damage.

In your view, you are guilty of lying simply because you considered it for a moment. It was no virtue to confess the truth, you had the momentary thought of lying and are therefore guilty of lying, even though in reality you did not.

Now, FAL likes to tell us how he goes days without sinning. Under this view, that would be impossible, for even when you refuse evil and choose good you are still guilty of sin because you simply considered sin for a moment. Absurd.

#26 Winman, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now, is it a sin when an evil thought first enters the mind? I tend to think no. Here's why. Jesus told the people around Him that it's not that which goeth into a man that defiles him, but what cometh out. There are times that satan will just put an evil thought in my mind out of the blue. I can not control the thought entering into my mind, but I sure can control it in that I ask God to take it away from me. So, if we have an evil thought, and then ponder on it for a while, then we could get into trouble(sinning). But, just because we have an evil thought, does not mean it's sin.

#27 convicted1, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Brother, I think this is where the problem lies with a lot of theology. We want to blame satan for putting certain evil thoughts in our mind. We seem to always turn back to that old Flip Wilson saying, "the devil made me do it" even though we don't say it as strong as he did we just say "the devil made me think it." I would like scripture on that one if you have any.
    Our thoughts are our thoughts and they stem from an evil heart and we need to admit that and stop blaming for our satan for our sin.
    I would ask you this. Do you really believe that Jesus ever has an evil thought out of the blue put in His mind by satan?

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

FAL, you seem to argue that Jesus was oblivious to temptations, that they just bounced off of him so to speak. The scriptures do not show this, but that Jesus could feel temptation. In the garden he prayed and asked his Father if there was any possible way "this cup" could be taken away from him. The scriptures say he was in agony. This sure doesn't sound like he was oblivious to temptation to me.

Luk 22:41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
    42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
    43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
    44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

Notice God sent an angel to strengthen Jesus. Why did Jesus need to be strengthened if he was oblivious to temptation and could not feel it? How could he be in agony?

Albert Barnes wrote on this, saying Jesus in his human nature did not desire to go through these extreme sufferings, nevertheless Jesus chose to do his Father's will.

I am not saying Jesus ever had a sinful thought, I agree with you that he did not. But he entertained the thought that if it were possible he would not go through the sufferings on the cross. This was his will, not his Father's will. This he prayed as a man would. Nevertheless, he was submissive to his Father's will. Still, as a man he fully felt the anguish and anxiety of the sufferings he was about to experience. As a man he did not desire to endure these sufferings.

So, Jesus indeed had to battle temptation, he was not oblivious to it.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Give me your understanding of the definition of the word "temptation." What exactly constitutes a temptation to you? Also why do you feel that that Him asking the Father to remove the cup from Him was a temptation?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

A temptation is defined by the scriptures.

Jam 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

A temptation is a pulling or drawing that originates in a person's lust or desire.

Some examples are obvious, a person who quits smoking may feel a strong desire to smoke if they are around people smoking. They are "tempted" to smoke again.

In the instance of Jesus in the garden, as a man he felt the natural desire of self preservation. No man would willingly want to be severely beaten and then nailed on a cross to die.

Jesus was not unaffected by these sorrows he knew he was about to endure. The scriptures say he was in "agony". That is surely far different than the way you portray Jesus as being insensible to physical and emotional pain. As a man he felt the same feelings we do. As a man he did not want to die a cruel death just as you and I would not desire to do.

Jesus knew he had to go to the cross, he knew everything that was to take place. But as a man he was tempted to ask God if there was any other way to secure salvation for mankind. There was not, and so Jesus willingly submitted to his Father's will.

Jesus was affected by his own natural desires. His will was affected, he did not will to suffer. But again, he submitted to his Father's will and said, "Nevertheless, not my will, but thine."

Luk 22:
    42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

I don't know how you cannot call this a temptation, Jesus for a moment considered his own will and not his Father's.

Please explain how this is not a temptation.

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Win you are adding to what I have said. I never said that Jesus could not feel pain either physical or emotional. Because of you adding to my words I am cutting this off since I do not believe that you are sincere. That you for your input to this point.

13. 12strings

12strings Active Member

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not trying to add anything to what you say.

I am simply trying to show that Jesus was tempted like all men, and that temptation is not sin.

Jesus had a desire that rose from within himself to preserve himself. He did not desire to be beaten and put to death on the cross. This is not some outside temptation that came from the devil.

Nevertheless, he considered his temptation and willingly chose to obey the will of his Father. Jesus clearly said his will was different.

I do not know how you can explain Jesus's desire that the cup be removed from him can be any other thing than a temptation that arose from within himself.

If you can explain how this is not temptation I am all ears.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I am not blaming satan for anything I have ever done wrong(sinning) in my life. When I was/am tempted by satan, it was solely my choice when I did that evil deed. But here's the crux of the argument. When we are tempted by an evil thought, seeing a pretty woman, someone ticking us off, etc., it is satan who instigates these. Now, if I have ever succumbed to any temptation, it was I, and not satan, who the blame falls on. Just because we get an evil thought, does not mean we have to act upon it. That evil thought becomes a sin when we succumb to it.

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a wicked falsehood. You do not understand this at all.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well then, neither did Albert Barnes, who was a Calvinist by the way. Here is how he interpreted Jesus's prayer;

Why don't you explain what Jesus's prayer really meant.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Barnes did miss it big time[if that is all he said]... Jesus did not desire to be seperated from fellowship with the Father....at no time did he shrink back from the task at hand.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

#40 freeatlast, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.