1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it a sin to work on Sunday

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Jan 23, 2011.

?
  1. Yes, no exceptions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, except for urgent jobs - police, hospital, ect

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Yes, unless its something like a radio station, gas station (+above)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not Sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not a sin - but we should try to avoid such work on Sunday

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  6. No, not a problem to work on Sunday - could be a great time to witness

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. No- the Sabbath is on Saturday, not Sunday

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Other answer

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 New Member

Seems like most folks that took this pole agree that if they make as many excuses as they can be disobedient and lay out of church.

2. baptisttom

baptisttom New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, I've lurked and read in this forum for a few years now without ever making a post, but this one I just couldn't resist.

You really ought to be careful how you use that broad brush, brother. My profession requires me to work 3 Sundays a month. Been doing it for 7 years. Care to accuse me of laying out of church? Remember, God comes first, your family comes second, your church comes third. If I fail to provide for my family, I have no ministry (I preach as well). Besides, if you lived in my area you would probably be thankful I "lay out of church" and am "disobedient", as I'm the one that sends police, fire and EMS to your house when something goes wrong.

Might try learning to mix a little grace in place of that blanket legalism, it works wonders.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you waited until Mon am to post this :laugh:, Am glad you finally made a post, a very good one at that, may I say. Hope to see you jump in more often.
    In fact I think it would be great if you started a post about dispatchers - I assume you are 911'er?
    If so, what would be some good advice....

And I worked in a convenience store that would have the police officers and EMS stopping in for a much needed cup of coffee...

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah!!! Hubby and I don't have to work on Sundays anymore!!! It's a very hectic day for our family and I'd MUCH rather just sit and listen to someone preach to me.

Unfortunately, that means there's no one to preach. Oh well. We'll just sit in the hotel ballroom and stare at the wall. Wait a minute - the hotel staff works for us on Sunday so I guess we can't go to the hotel. I guess it's best for us to all stay at home and not go to church. Oh wait - but then that's being disobedient!! So what is a pastor and his family to do?

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church has started doing something a bit different. Every few months we have a 30-minute worships service on Sunday morning, the congregation eats a very simple lunch together in the fellowship hall (e.g., chili or red beans and rice) and then we disperse throughout the community to do work projects for widows, the homeless shelter, at various missions we support, the food bank, etc. as a way to share the love of Christ in our community and put our faith in action.

We work very hard all afternoon then meet back at church that evening to share our experiences and what God has taught us as we served the community.