1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is it allowed to tell a lie if you dont want to hurt somebody else?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JimboJones, Nov 7, 2004.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

God forgives sin but that does not give us the right to justify doing wrong because we find ourselves faced with a problem.

Romans 6:1 - What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Colossians 3:9 - Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

1 Timothy 1:10 - For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Proverbs 17:4 - A wicked doer giveth heed to false lips; and a liar giveth ear to a naughty tongue

2. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Yes... I agree, we should stop lying in hypocricy and speak the truth in love and admit we lie (then we'd be truthful). Not admitting that is being a liar as Pharisees who believe a lie and lied against the truth concerning what they were full of, a self righteousness derived through the law.

Getting rid of that old leaven (Hypocricy) that leavens the whole lump. Putting on sincerity and truth with one another.

No lie was found upon their lips because they spoke truthfully confessing their sins and they were made white by the blood of the lamb.

God Bless

Seth3

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Lies are, indeed, a real problem and we don't realize how common they are. While I disagree about chiding people like Rahab . . . most of us don't run into that kind of situation very often anyway.

But right here in this very forum - what about misquoting someone you are debating?

What about saying something like "Why don't you believe God could do " (blah blah) when everybody knows God could do anything, the debate is about what God CHOOSES to do . ..

What about declaring the Bible says so and so and that settles it, when the particular interpretion of the Bible is widely acknowledged to be in dispute?

Are those lies? Should our desire to not lie perhaps temper the tone of our debates at times?

4. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Let me first say that we all lie. However, because we all lie dose that make it right? The Bible say we all sin dose that make it right to sin!?! The question is not if we do or if we do not. But, rather if it is right or not. I find over and over in Gods word where it tells us not to lie never once where we are praised for ling. We are all going to sin and we are all going to lie but let us not do mental gymnastics to try to justify it let just ask God to go on from there.

5. music4Him

music4Him New Member

No Jimbo it is never good to tell a lie. Plain and simple! Even if it will hurt someone else! What don't kill them will make them stonger. [​IMG] Would you like it if someone told you a lie, just so you wouldn't "get hurt"? (BTW, would this be a physical pain hurt or mental type "let down" pain?) Also ~Jimbo~, would you want your friends to tell you the truth?

6. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

AMEN

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. scooter

scooter New Member

I think that in some rare, extreme situations, lying may be the preferable choice. For instance, would I lie to protect the physical safety of my family should someone break into my house? Yes. Would I be happy about doing it? No, but I am also commanded to love my brothers. As I mentioned, this is rare and extreme. Sin and evil complicates our world.

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Scooter,
    I believe that the Lord would protect me and my family. The story of Daniel in the loins den ought to prove that. Also Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednigo said they would put their trust in God. [​IMG] Do we trust God enough to have faith that he will deliver us?

9. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Amen

10. Paul of Eugene

Don't assume you can't be martyred! Millions have already been martyred through no fault of their own!

11. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Paul was that post to me?
    If so I do believe the Lord would protect me either way. The day I asked Jesus into my heart I was saved. Saved from death, hell and the grave. I know that I could be martyred. But I also believe God can shut the lions mouth if He so desires. Paul had said some where...I'm not too worried what men could do to this body. (That quote is not word for word but I hope you know which one I'm talking about?) But even if someone was threatened with torture, I still don't think it makes it right to lie to get out of a rough spot. :D [​IMG]

12. Paul of Eugene

Great, M4H, as long as you don't tell God what He's got to do! I just don't want people saying they won't ever suffer because God will surely get them out of it . . . for many, it was a blessed PRIVILEGE to suffer for His name.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't speak to Satan, but if I were to do this, no, I don't think it's okay to lie to Satan because lying is wrong, period.

14. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Oops...I guess I should have made myself clear. Cause even Jesus told us.......

John 16:33 -
    These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

But also if anyone will read about what all Paul was delivered out of, he went though alot of tribulation before he later was crusified. He was stoned, whipped 5 different times 40 minus 1 (39) lashes each time....ect.

and don't forget how Paul and Silas was delivered out of prison with a prayer and a song too. ;) *grin* *see (Acts 16:25-26)

Music4Him