1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is It Hypocritical To .....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Aug 2, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

..... accept a lottery-based college scholarship if a person is opposed to the lottery?

Here in the Volunteer State, qualifying high school seniors are eligible to receive what are called "Hope Scholarships" to attend college once they've graduated from high school.

My question is this: If a person is opposed to lotteries, is it hypocritical for that person to accept a Hope Scholarship when he knows that it is funded totally by income from the sale of lottery tickets?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

If I needed a blood transfusion and the only guy in town who was my blood type was an atheist or worse -- a Satanist, for example -- I'd be foolish to refuse it. How is his blood going to pollute me?

By the same token, if a young man or young woman needs money for college, why should they care where it came from? In accepting it, they aren't endorsing gambling nor are they in any way "polluted" by it. Take the money of greed lost by greedy people and get an education that glorifies God -- and perhaps allows you to tell the greedy gambler about Jesus some day.

#2 thisnumbersdisconnected, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at it this way - - Think of all the dumb people playing the lottery that are paying for someone else's education.

Remember this: Most lottery winners did not win the first couple of thousand times they played.