1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it intellectual dishonesty...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, Feb 9, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granny Gumbo, the KJVO doesn't fool with geese; they're too smart and aggressive. What the KJVO does is keep pinning wings on a hippo, hoping it'll fly.

About that "great" line-every version in it is different from all the others. And did God retire in 1611 so that He no longer presents His word in the current language style?

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by QuickeningSpirit:
    I brought my lip pump along with me; The Bible was published in 1611, but yall just can't come to the Light and understand it is perfected as well.

Ya mean it wasn't perfect when it was first made? When does God's word need perfecting? Wasn't it already pure as is silver refined seven times?[

And how about BEFORE 1611?

3. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I concur! w/h are probably the stupidest....., oh, wait a minute, they're dead!

LYTS ;)

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

If that is what he would have us believe, then it would indeed be the truth ... it is a faithful translation.

Satan is a proper name. In English, it is considered proper to capitalize proper names in English. Your beloved KJV was caught guilty of capitalizing the "s" in Satan.

5. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Cranston. English, uh ENGLISH! Before 1611, the Word of God wasn't PERFECTED in ENGLISH, uh,
    E N G L I S H.

BTW, our "hippo" does outweigh your "Lotsa Opso".

God puts the wings on the AV 1611 KJB and we've been flying ever since! [​IMG]

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Refreshed, there are some 126 changes between the AV 1611 & the 1769 edition NOT due to spelling or punctuation changes, nor changes in sentence construction, documented by KJVO Dr. Donald Waite.It depends upon how big you believe those 126 "rocks" to be whether you believe them to form a "mountain" or not. But, mountain or anthill, they're 126 pieces of evidence.

"Things that are different are not the same."-a fave KJVO mantra, original author unknown

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So sre King James and all his translators.

HankD

8. Precepts

Precepts New Member

There's NOTHING proper about satan. Maybe you have a legitimate point and we should give yall more "ammo" and reprint the correction as "satan" :rolleyes:

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You heard wrong. Before condemning it, you should get the truth about it. If you don't have the truth, then wisdom would lead us to stay out of the discussion about it, unless to ask questions to increase information.

It says, King James Version and Authorized Version. They all do.

Just as the translators of the 1611 did.

The other text is not perverted. It is indeed the word of God.

Eight differences that are seen translation.

The OT text is much more disputed than the NT text. The only problem is that Hebrew cannot be learned as easy as Greek and people without knowledge cannot comment on Hebrew as readily as on Greek. The OT text is very confusing in some spots. It is unfortunate that people who don't know what they are talking about don't stop talking. This little paragraph is simply incorrect. I don't really like the KJV but it is a faithful translation. It is the Word of God.

10. Precepts

Precepts New Member

So sre King James and all his translators.

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, that's true, BUT OUR BIBLE AIN'T! :eek: ;)

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by QuickeningSpirit:
    "Cranston. English, uh ENGLISH! Before 1611, the Word of God wasn't PERFECTED in ENGLISH, uh,
    E N G L I S H."

So you believe God's word wasn't perfect at one time?

"BTW, our "hippo" does outweigh your "Lotsa Opso"."

But your hippo won't fly, and it lives in muddy water.

"God puts the wings on the AV 1611 KJB and we've been flying ever since!"

Same as He has on other English versions before & after.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, QS check this out:

1769KJV Luke 4:8
    And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

HankD

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

There are not mountains of evidence, there is the evidence of a KJVO himself, Dr. Waite, who says there are 12 changes of substance (excluding spelling and printing changes).

They simply are not "vastly" different, neither is there "mountains of evidence" that the changes are not merely updated spelling and punctuation. Most of the changes were updated spelling and/or printer errors, but there are those 12 changes of substance...

</font>[/QUOTE]I am not sure who you are going after here but I think this is my quote, so I will respond.

There are in deed mountains of evidence that show that the changes in teh various KJVs are not merely spelling and punctuation. There are changes of substance and every one can look at see that. It is dishonest to say otherwise. As you point out, even Waite himself acknowledges this.

I did not say there were mountains of changes, but there are indisputably mountains of evidence. Scrivener, the one whose name is attached the the modern TR, outlined these changes over 100 years ago.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What then were you implying when you said w/h were dead.

Ipso facto again?

Or do we have another double standard?

HankD

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, QS, what is your take on the fact that the KJV translators capitalized the "S" in Satan?

e.g Luke 4:8 which I quoted.

HankD

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tyr digging a little deeper before you believe just ONE article on the NKJV or any other version. I didn't believe KJVO was a myth before I dug pretty deeply into the subject & sorted fact from opinion.

17. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Yeah? the serpent tried the same thing with Eve, and uh, LOST! Jesus came along and "bruised his head" [​IMG]
    Yeah, I suppose if you're out to kill, corrupt and destroy, you should go for the Root.

Oh, and thanks for shooting down 90% of your "mates", though running around sputtering on the landing strip isn't really considered flying.

18. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Tyr digging a little deeper before you believe just ONE article on the NKJV or any other version. I didn't believe KJVO was a myth before I dug pretty deeply into the subject & sorted fact from opinion. </font>[/QUOTE]We believe in digging around in fertile ground, you know, near the river Nile, not in the graveyards of Babylon.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think his point is VERY legit. It's NOT about Satan's being the creator of sin and the greatest sinner who ever was. It's about proper everyday English grammar. The NAME Satan IS a proper name, although there's nothing proper about him as you said.

proper name: a noun that designates a particular being or thing, does not take a limiting modifier, and is usually capitalized in English (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

The KJV caps Satan while NOT capping pronouns that refer to God. Any comments?

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tyr digging a little deeper before you believe just ONE article on the NKJV or any other version. I didn't believe KJVO was a myth before I dug pretty deeply into the subject & sorted fact from opinion. </font>[/QUOTE]We believe in digging around in fertile ground, you know, near the river Nile, not in the graveyards of Babylon. </font>[/QUOTE]But from the STUFF the KJVOs have been digging up, we know JUST WHAT SUBSTANCE has made their ground "fertile"...