1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is it ironic that a non christian

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by massdak, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yes, it does happen.

I've told the stories many times here of Fr. Joe McAuley, of Holy Angels in Philly, who taught the Gospel straight and clear and of the priests and nuns at St. Stephens', where I went to school as a kid, who did the same.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

Massdak
    "are you sure you are a Christian baptist?"
    You mean, that you suspect Brian is a Mandean baptist? [​IMG]

3. Gunther

Gunther New Member

BrianT, did you miss my post?

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

To be honest, I didn't think there would be much benefit in responding to it, because we'll just end up disagreeing. [​IMG] But here goes...

Are you sure? Then what's the problem? If Catholics say justification is not by faith alone, they get jumped on because you think they "deny biblical justification". Yet when James says the same thing, you say you "have no problem" with it.

Which statement are you referring to? When you said "The Christ they honor has no power to save"? I've never seen a Catholic teaching back this up as well.

No, what Catholics disagree with is that the imputed righteousness is "once imputed, always imputed". [​IMG]

How "false" does it have to be before grace is nullified? Who draws the line? Who has 100% perfect doctrine and perfect understanding, not a speck of "false" in their thinking? Not me, that's for sure. And I'm thankful my salvation is not based on my intellectual perfection regarding doctrine, but on God's grace.

Bottom line, just because Catholics have a slightly different view of "justification" than you do, does not mean they "deny biblical justification". It simply means they "deny Gunther's understanding of biblical justification". Nothing more. It doesn't even mean one (them) or the other (you) are "outside of true Christianity", it just means one of you doesn't have perfect understanding - but God's grace isn't dependent on that, so no worries. [​IMG]

5. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sure. That sounds about right. [​IMG]

I don't see how you reached that conclusion. I don't believe that at all.

I support them in the sense that I don't see how grace is nullified if Catholics do sacraments because of, and with, their faith. If Catholics do not have faith in Christ, or only have faith in the sacraments themselves, those works are unacceptable by themselves. Faith makes righteousness, you posted verses to that effect yourself. If you do works with your faith, how can you be made righteous and unrighteous at the same time?

Yes, for now. But I'm starting to wonder about the 'baptist' part. ;) [​IMG]

I notice a few things about your reply: 1. it still hasn't provided the scripture you claim existed, 2. it did not disagree with let alone refute what I posted earlier, and 3. I have responded to the scriptures you posted, you have not responded to the ones I've posted. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]read the whole chapter of galatians 5, why do you suppose paul was so upset with them merely adding circumcision with faith for salvation? if it was a minor thing why all the problem? this is important and you should get this straight if you are not solely resting on Christ through faith alone then you are not saved. the apostle paul warned the galatians and i warn you.

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Well, I could answer your questions directly, but instead I think I'll give you the same response to your questions as you have been giving to my questions. My response is within the following parenthesis:

( )

I agree. I want to get it straight. But you won't answer of my questions, nor provide any scripture to back up your assertions. I'm supposed to just forget about my questions? I'm supposed to just take your word for it? I don't even know you!

7. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I could answer your questions directly, but instead I think I'll give you the same response to your questions as you have been giving to my questions. My response is within the following parenthesis:

( )

I agree. I want to get it straight. But you won't answer of my questions, nor provide any scripture to back up your assertions. I'm supposed to just forget about my questions? I'm supposed to just take your word for it? I don't even know you!
    </font>[/QUOTE]i just provided you with galatians chapter 5
    read that chapter and there is your answer.
    the apostle paul made it clear. its not my assertions it is scripture that faith in Christ is the means of salvation. the apostle paul exlains the danger of adding to faith, rather the way to salvation is in Christ. acts 4-12

8. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I am well aware of Gal 5. I have read it once or twice. ;) In fact, I read it *before* asking you my questions. [​IMG]

Maybe *you* need to reread Gal 5, to better understand what it's saying. Here's a hint:

Gal 5:6 "For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith **which worketh** by love."

9. mioque

mioque New Member

"why do you suppose paul was so upset with them merely adding circumcision with faith for salvation? if it was a minor thing why all the problem?"
    Trust me Massdak, someone cutting into your manhood with a knife is not a minor issue! :eek:

In fact, 'this minor thing' prevented many conversions to Judaïsm across the Roman empire. Certain branches of the Jewish faith tried very hard to proselytize but made very little headway because of it.

10. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

this has been an interesting discussion concerning mel gibsons movie and his catholic beliefs and concerning faith and works. catholics will admit that grace is from God and their works are to either earn grace or because of grace. your argument seems to say the person must add works to faith in order to be the kind of faith that will cause salvation. my interpretation says that faith is a gift from God and once a person is born again then the works are manifest by the Spirit of God. you probably believe that this is a minor point regarding salvation, i do not. the apostle paul says this&gt;&gt;

2Cr 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

11. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

i found this from a site which is pretty good and gives good scripture to back up what we have discussed&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

“And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace...” (Rom. 11:6; see also Gal. 2:21).  You cannot merge grace and works, for the one cancels out the other. The apostle Paul stated “I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain” (Gal. 2:21). Paul is saying that if salvation is by our obedience to God’s law then salvation is not by grace and Christ Jesus simply wasted His time and efforts, for salvation is not by grace if we can attain it by our works: “Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt” (Rom. 4:4). God “...hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began” (2 Tim. 1:9): “But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved...” (Acts 15:11): “For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness BY FAITH” (not by works) (Gal. 5:5). “

12. BrianT

BrianT New Member

So in other words you don't want to discuss my responses, nor the scriptures I mention. OK then. [​IMG]

I've already addressed this.

I've already addressed this too, using Gal 5 which you told me would answer all my questions. Instead, I see where Gal 5 says "For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love." That doesn't sound like cancelling out to me.

Right. Righteous does not come by works, or by the law. Faith is required. Without faith, works are useless. Without works, faith is dead.

Round and round and round we gooooo...... [​IMG]

13. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

well, if you agree then with scriptures and the apostle paul we have no problem, but if you believe catholics are not adding works with grace and that their gospel is the same as the scriptures tell, then not only faith without works is dead but your doctrine is also.

14. BrianT

BrianT New Member

So in other words you don't want to discuss my responses, nor the scriptures I mention. OK then. [​IMG]

15. Gunther

Gunther New Member

BrianT, I have wanted to discuss the issue but you won't respond.

16. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

the troubling issue is that you believe the catholic doctrine on salvation is a minor deal and God will accept the added works with grace. you have made your points based on works making faith not dead, you have ascribed to a works type salvation. good works is only by the enabling power of God any man that does good works is a born again believer being obedient to the Lord.
    plain and simple can you answer this, do you believe the catholic church teaches and preaches a false gospel yes or no?

17. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I responded, my post is the second-last post on page 3. It's your turn. [​IMG] If I have unintentionally missed anything you want me to respond to, please let me know, as I thought I was caught up. [​IMG]

18. BrianT

BrianT New Member

No, the troubling issue is that I have provided *scriptures* (not just opinion, mine or Catholic) that talk of faith + work, and you won't respond to them. I have even shown you where the scriptures *you* posted were out of context or not saying what you thought they were saying, and you change the subject.

Um, James 2. I didn't say faith without works is dead, James did. I'm just repeating it. You keep saying works added to faith nullifies grace, yet James says without works, the faith is worthless. So who do I believe, you or James?

I agree. But those works still justify (James says so), and thus they do not nullify grace.

In general, and as far as I understand what they teach, no (but I may be wrong in my understanding about what they teach). Neither do I think that "faith only" is a "false gospel". I am still sorting it out, thus my participation in this thread. [​IMG]

19. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

in general most fundamental baptist churches would say that the catholic church teaches and preaches a different gospel, you would be in the minority of what fundamental Christians believe. your belief is similar to the liberal religionist and universalist. i do not know if i am able to show you your error other then what i have already provided, pray that God shows you the truth. it is important. my next question to you is could you explain to me what the gospel is? also can you tell me what are you basing your Christianity on.

20. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Indeed. [​IMG] I already realize I don't really fit the typical "fundamental Baptist" persona, even aside from this issue. [​IMG]

Don't get me started on "fundamental". That word seems to shift meaning depending who you talk to. [​IMG]

And what is my belief?

If you feel I am in error, please try. Please at least open your Bible to James 2. Please actually try responding to some of my comments.

The gospel is that God has provided a means, through Christ, to redeem men. I am basing my Christianity on the Bible.

Why do I have to answer your questions, but you never answer mine? Especially since you're the one that supposedly has all the answers. :D [​IMG]