1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it moral to Kill in self-defense?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robertguwapito, Mar 1, 2012.

1. robertguwapito

robertguwapito New Member

Or to rephrase the question, "Is it moral to preserve one's life (Kill) in self-defense?"

Following Tomas Aquinas' logic:

1. Natural law dictates that it is normal to preserve one’s life.
    2. Since it is a principle of natural law, it is therefore moral to preserve one's life.
    3. Since it is moral to preserve one’s life, it is therefore lawful to defend one’s life.
    4. Therefore, self-defense is a moral act and lawful act.

It seems that there are quite a few peacenik Christians who think that it is morally reprehensible to act in defense of self and family. What do you think?

My two cents worth: Since it is moral to preserve one’s life, it is immoral for a Christian to do otherwise. :smilewinkgrin:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is moral to kill in self-defense.

In addition it is also legal- provided he is an immediate threat to you.

For example - if a person shoots at you, you shoot back and injure him - then he drops his weapon and starts to run away; he is no longer a threat - then you are no longer justified to shoot him again - let along kill him.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Self preservation is built within us. It's normal to want to protect yourself and use whatever is available and at had to do so.

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

1. Natural law dictates that it is normal to preserve one’s life.
    2. Since it is a principle of natural law, it is therefore moral to preserve one's life.
    3. Since it is moral to preserve one’s life, it is therefore lawful to defend one’s life.
    4. Therefore, self-defense is a moral act and lawful act.

There is your lack of revelation of scripture, if you care. Natural man and natural law are opposite to what Christ taught. Deny yourself, trust Him. If you love your life unto death, you will lose it. You think the same as the world does. Get faith in Jesus, He will never let you down.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

Luk_22:36 He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of curiosity, ever killed anybody...like for example, in the military or perhaps in law enforcement?

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This guy finds himself in the middle of a raging flood. His only means of escape is to climb to the roof of his house. Once on the roof, he begins to pray for God to save him.

Not long after another man comes by and offers the guy a life preserver. He declines as he prayed.

Shortly thereafter, another man comes by and offers him into his boat. There's room for one more. Again, he declines as he prayed.

After a bit, a rescue helicopter arrives and he again refuses..., as he had prayed.

About an hour later the guy drowns and when he arrives in Heaven he's asked, "What are you doing here?

He says, "I was waiting for the Lord to save me from the flood."

He is then told, "We sent you a Life Preserver, a boat and finally the Rescue Helicopter. Why didn't you use one of them?"

When the time comes you have to rely upon the tools you have at hand.

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

God already answered your question, as He said that it was immoral to murder, but was allowed to kill to self defend, see Isreal given an army to defend them from invaders and was used to "purge" the land of the heathen!

9. plain_n_simple

Under the Law it was done, but not in the New Covenant. God says listen to His Son, not the Law and Prophets, unless it was about Him.

10. mandym

mandym New Member

ok.

Luk_22:36 He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

11. plain_n_simple

Read the verse before and after, you are out of context. If you love your life unto death, and wish to live by the sword, so be it.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

No its not.

I am assuming you do not really understand the implications of this statement and that it was made out of ignorance.

13. plain_n_simple

You mirror the worlds thinking of fear. Love casts out fear. Jesus is love. If you need to kill in Jesus' name to overcome evil, or think the Holy Spirit is guiding you to take a life, that is your option.

14. mandym

mandym New Member

Actually it is you who mirror such things. You emulate the false ideology of the political far left which has nothing to do with scripture or Jesus.

15. plain_n_simple

I have nothing to do with politics, only the words of Jesus. So you will kill in His name? Does the Spirit guide you to take a life?

16. mandym

mandym New Member

Sure you do

Childishness

17. plain_n_simple

Didn't think you could explain it. Have faith in everything you do, killing too I guess.

18. mandym

mandym New Member

Hence we all see the problem with so many posts. Lack of civility

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No, but the Spirit guides me to protect my family. I have no husband, so I have a loaded 45 pistol that takes his place.

20. plain_n_simple

No, but the Spirit guides me to protect my family. I have no husband, so I have a loaded 45 pistol that takes his place.

How far can you trust Jesus?