1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it my imagination or are tempers at an all time high?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Wisdom Seeker, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I've noticed lately that tempers seem to be running much higher around the board lately. It's not uncommon to see a heated debate, and occasionally someone lose their cool. But am I imagining it, or does this seem to be happening way more than usual lately?

In Christ,
    Laurenda

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I believe you are correct. This is a hard and stressful time for our entire nation, people are uneasy and the casualty list is growing every day. There's also a measure of fear that there will be more terrorist attacks, and when people are in this mindset Satan really isn't going to pass the opportunity up to do some outstanding work in an attempt to make God's people feel defeated and get them at odds with each other.

In other words, I think there's a number of us ready to pounce at the slightest provocation. [​IMG] Got a problem with that? ;) J/K!
    Gina

3. Pete

Pete New Member

I'm back at work after holiday, so no-one DARE start anything with me.. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

;) ;) ;) :D

Pete

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I've noticed it too and have steered clear of MANY threads because of it!

I'm not uptight about the war or threat of terrorism. I'm concerned about that new SAR's virus but not to the extent of changing my life over it.... but you are NOT imagining it! People are on edge.

We should pray for each other and for this board during this time of stress.

Love to you all this bright but cold morning!

Diane

p.s. Praying for y'all right now!

5. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, thank you Diane for praying! I know your prayers is being asnwered, because I can go another day without biting off somebody's head... [​IMG]

Seriously though, I think that a measure (and this is a borrowed word) hostility always existed on the Baptist Board. But the gentler folks, heretofore, were able to balance it out... [​IMG]

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Well. Betty started a prayer request in that forum about praying for us all. (Even though I've posted the link on two battlegrounds here with hope, it doesn't seem to have been visitted much) Here's the link to the prayer thread.

Barnabas...I think the people who are generally "gentler" are having a hard time balancing it out like you said because many of them are staying away like Diane said.

I watched a funny movie last night that makes a pretty good point. A couple of people were arguing loudly. The one yelled at the other "Why are we arguing?!" and the other one screamed back "Because it releases stress!" the first screamed "Yea!" I thought, now that was poignant.

Personally, I think people should try harder to watch their tempers and what they say that is hurtful...because once it's out there...it can't be taken back.

And to answer your question Gina..."Duh, why else would I mention it?" [​IMG]

Laurenda [​IMG]

7. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I'm tempermental these next few days, it's because I have a doctor's appointment Thursday, and I'm concerned that my blood pressure's gonna be high, and my doctor will do something drastic--like change my medicine for the 3rd time in 3 months and/or refer me to a cardiologist. :eek: :confused:

8. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I hope your doctor appointment goes well. Maybe it will be good news.

Laurenda [​IMG]

[ April 02, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

On the BB we have to realise that there are many Baptists who have some different ideas about theolgy. If those ideas were related to Salvation issues, I could see why people could get emotional. But usually its over things that are not salvation issues which ultimatley is unhelpfull to everyone.

I am not a Cessationist. We have had a few posts on the role of Spiritual Gifts etc. I can tell you honestly that some of those who are Cessationist in belief are friends of mine in whom i find alot in common with. I doubt any two people would have absolutley exactly the same theology anyway.

If people want to argue, why dont we have a one on one debate forum so that they can go hammer and tongs at each other and not blast anybody else in the crossfire. Moving threads to a one on one debate might also help keep out those who deliberatley try and stir the pot.

Why dont we have a few suggestions about how to deal with this?

I have not posted for a while in the Bible Versions Forum because of the behaviour on both sides that goes on in there.

Have we considered having a Jail Cell forum? this is a forum marked jail cell were people who have made offensive remarks to others have to post. They still access the board, but only post in the jail cell forum, to those who want to speak to them. Over on Moriel it sure has cut down on the number of idiots abusing people on the forum. Check out http://ww2.moriel.org:8004/forum/index.php

10. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

What kind of a forum is it Ben? Is it only for Jewish people?

[ April 02, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is a Christian Forum, It was founded by Jacob Prasch who is a Messianic Jew, who evangalises Jesus amongst Jewish people. However the difference between Jacob Prasch and other Messianic people is that He teaches that once a Jew has accepted Jesus Christ as their saviour they need not keep the Jewish law anymore, which tends to ruffle a few of some of the more orthadox jewish feathers.

Moriel Forum has an excellent caring community of people. It is heavily moderated because of people who want to Judaise others on there. They helped me alot when I came out of the Pentecostal Church I was in, and one of the Moderators there such as Beth, will be my friend for life.

I would not give up on the BB just yet. There are plenty of boards that are worse. Theology Forums is having a rough patch also, yet they openly allow people to post on there with a different theological view so that they can witness to them. That was the only forum where I have had a practical excersize in talking to a Muslim about Jesus. Yet the get some real whack jobs also.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

You know, this same conversation gets VERY tiresome after a while. There's 5,120 members as of today, and the amount of agreement despite this vast array of personalities is amazing. That some people out of over 5000 in a group just don't seem to click as well as others is PERFECTLY NORMAL.
    There is also a difference between disagreeing and being mean. Using some sarcasm to point out where you think an argument is false or using some humor can be a very effective way of getting a point across, and people need not take offense if it happens on occasion, or take it as an attack if someone disagrees in the slightest, or even strongly.
    IF one feels they are being maltreated all they have to do is press the little "report this post" option under the post and they'll get a response in a reasonable amount of time. If they don't consider that the moderator/moderators of that forum might be very busy or unavailable at the time and go on to talk to an administrator if you feel it demands immediate attention. Or you can e-mail, or private message, there's a variety of options. I don't feel starting threads in order to complain or threaten to leave is necessary when all the other ways of dealing with it are in place.
    Now, I suppose that THIS thread will offend some, but instead of going up in arms try listening to what I said and realizing it wasn't directed at YOU in person, it's to all who don't realize the many different ways to settle a dispute on this board without posting a gripe. I do feel that this particular thread started out just fine and was a valid question, but it's quickly degenerating into a gripe session.
    Gina

13. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

:eek: who put a bee in my bonet? :rolleyes:

[ April 21, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What exactly does the term "buck up" mean? Was I bucked down before? How so? :confused:
    Gina

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

You don't appreciate me belittling the reason you started the thread? How did I do that?

Not being mean, but you seem to take an awful lot much more personally or take it on a different spin than the author intended. :(
    Gina

16. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Sorry...having a bad day. Forgive me? \My attitude has been admittedly poor lately...didn't mean to take it out on you.

Laurenda

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

No problem, I'm sorry if anything I said offended you. I've been known to be a little..insensitive at times? :eek:
    Gina

18. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Don't worry about it, I tend to be a little intense sometimes. I post 2% of what I'm feeling...and that is sometimes even way over the top.

Oh, to answer your question: Buck up is an abreviation of buckle up, or brace yourself, or hold on to your hat. ;)

Laurenda

19. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent idea; I've seen it done on other forums.

But can we post bail or have other members testify for us so we can be released on our own recognizance? ;)

But that wouldn't help some of us, would it?

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

How about get out of jail free for those who've racked up enough posts? [​IMG]
    Bucking up...
    Gina
    Ok, I just can't get used to that term, it makes me feel like a horse!