1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it necessary to always preach Repentance?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 14, 2014.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Padre, excellent articles!

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repentance is not a prerequisite to salvation it is a response to it.

The word repentance is not missing from the book of John. If God thought it necessary to be included in His inspired Word through John it would have been there.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me know when you go chase a Rabbit.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

A preacher I am acquainted with put it another way: "Salvation without repentance.........isn't."

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see no value in using terms the person I am talking with does not understand. So I may use examples and illustrations to help them understand what God wants from them.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The concept is easy but the exact use of terminology becomes complicated. True repentance involves turning from sin. Turning from sin is only truly possible by the power of the Holy Spirit working in the life of the those He indwells. Sorrow for or sin is necessary for salvation, but true repentance can only come after we are indwelt with The Spirit.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One cannot be indwelt until after they are born from above. Your post makes no sense. Nor is it supported by scripture. In fact you are the first person I have ever heard say such a thing and I pretty well keep up with popular doctrines.

#27 Revmitchell, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
  8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct, One can not be indwelt until they are born from above. We all agree the indwelling of the Holy Spirit comes at the moment of salvation. The Holy Spirit then immediately begins the sanctification process. True repentance from sin can only occur through the power of The Holy Spirit. In our own power, we can be sorrowful about our sin, but until we are indwelt by Him, we have no power to truly turn from our sin. We can deal with the symptoms of sin on our own, but we can only be free from that sin (true repentance) once we are empowered by The Holy Spirit.