1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it ok for a Church to have female deacons?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Joseph_Botwinick, Dec 30, 2002.

1. GuOeR84

GuOeR84 New Member

Hmm, the KJV version says something different here ...

1 Tim 3:10-11 KJV
    10 And let them also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being [found] blameless.
    11 Even so [must their] wives [be] grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

Verse 10 talks about a deacon having to be blameless and being proved first, and verse 11 talks about the qualities that his wife should possess.

In general, 1 Tim 2:11-15 talks about things that women cannot do. Oh, no ! What can women do to serve in the church then ? Any other thing ! Preaching, praying for, discipling, and encouraging the younger women in the church, get involved in the children's ministry, etc ... We do have forthnight "Women's Fellowship" (don't worry, we have "Men's Fellowship" too) in our church, and the pastors/deacons/leaders wives would speak to the younger women. [​IMG]

2. D.R.

D.R. New Member

All I have to say about this is that Pheobe was a deaconess. That is enough for me to understand that deacons are males and females. All deacons did was serve. Women can serve and thus, they can be deacons. If you really want a good exegetical argument for this look to John MacArthur's book, "The Master's Plan for the Church." I don't think anyone would debate that MacArthur is not highly orthodox and a great exegete of Scripture. Several major leaders support him on this. My church has female deacons, as well as many other Reformed congregations. I don't understand why this is such a big deal for people. I think many need to quit putting their presuppositions onto the texts and read them for how they were understood by the original hearers. This is why we have so much mythology in the local churches.
    dr