1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it OK to visit a Catholic church?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by UhYeahWhatHeSaid, Feb 19, 2005.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Go for it, understanding your own beliefs. Who knows, you may actually enjoy yourself.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

"Is it OK to visit a Catholic church?"
    "
    Sure. Groups from my church do it all the time when we are on holiday. There is a very nice graveyard in my neighbourhood where we bury our late members and we usually borrow the local Eastern Rite Catholic church for the funeral service.

But then...

Your real question is ofcourse: Is it OK to visit a Catholic churchservice?".
    Let's be realistic here.
    You will be there as a guest/observer and not as a participant. It is in fact officially forbidden to fully participate in a RC liturgy for a nonmember (I've done it a couple of times while some highranking clergy were present who didn't mind, but that's another story).
    More importantly, Dominican monks won't be appearing out of nowhere to brainwash you into joining their faith.
    ;)

Have fun.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No problem. They won't try to convert you - that sort of thing isn't done at Mass. And they won't want you to take communion if you're not a Catholic so will understand if you stay in your pew at that point. It will all be in English unless you go to Mass in a non-English speaking country. You can keep your mouth shut for the Hail Mary and any other bits mentioning her and the angels and saints like the Penitential Rite at the beginning; shouldn't have any problem with the Nicene Creed (apart for the "One Baptism for the forgiveness of sins" bit perhaps). And there will be four readings from the Bible plus a sermon

Anything else you wanna know?

Yours in Christ

Matt

4. mioque

mioque New Member

KeeperOfMyHome
    "Will your conscience allow you to take that wafer that they teach is the actual body of Christ? "
    "
    As Matt and I have pointed out, non-members are not allowed to consume the Eucharist. The 'ritual cannibalism' bit is for members of a church in communion with the RCC only.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have been. Simply be respectful, but you are not "forced" or pressured to participate in any way.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Julia ...

So, why do you believe that the host is not the Body of Christ?

UhYeahWhatHeSaid,

Like Marcia, I am not in agreement with those that compare the perversion of Mormonism & JW's to the Eternal Creator, Jesus Christ as Christian Churches preach, including Catholicism. But, I do not agree with their theology.

Transubstantiation (Lord's Supper) is something you probably won't have to worry about. They normally practice a closed Lord's Supper.
    They are more Arminian than Baptists (One can loose salvation ... And almost Calvinistic in other ways - evidence of salvation requires works ... etc.)
    And how quickly we forget that Luther and Calvin were Catholic Priests that taught in almost complete agreement with Augustinian (yes, Catholic) Theology.

In my experience, they are CONSERVATIVE ... (Theologically not necessarily politically) ... Even LIBERAL Catholics are often conservative.

And most Catholics like most good Baptists, do not know how to be saved ...

[ February 21, 2005, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: El_Guero ]

7. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Ah, I missed that part. Thanks for letting me know. This would probably be my greatest concern, so I guess it's not really a concern, hmm? [​IMG]

Julia

8. KeeperOfMyHome

So, I am getting the impression from your question that you do believe the host is the body of Christ? Are you Baptist?

Julia

9. mioque

mioque New Member

Donna
    "I'm not sure why there would curiosity in a false religion."
    "
    In my case I wanted to earn a degree in churchhistory, in the Netherlands that means either studying the history of Calvinism in the Netherlands, or studying the history of Roman Catholicism. The second subject is far more interesting than the first one.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Julia
    "so I guess it's not really a concern, hmm?"
    "
    Unless you stride up there and try to participate, no.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Julia,

Why not answer the question?

12. KeeperOfMyHome

Luke 22:19 and 20

And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Julia

P.S. Let's not hijack this discussion.

13. Caissie

Caissie New Member

You are old enough....You shouldn't listen to any church...only the bible. Visit all the Christian churches, Mormons, JWs, Catholics, Church of God, Methodist. Only filter everything though the Bible (even the stuff you hear from the Baptist churches).

14. Saveferris

Saveferris Guest

Hi,

I say visit. As Matt noted though you are not permitted to receive communion. Along with going to mass though I suggest you read a book or two by a Catholic author, if you are interested in what they believe. I actually laughed out loud when someone suggested "Near to God, Far from Rome". Next they will suggest "Roman Catholicism" by Boettner. Think about it though, if you want to learn about Buddhism, would you go to a Mormon source? Of course not. I would suggest "The Lambs Supper" by Scott Hahn for what they believe is the biblical precedence for the mass and I would also suggest having a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church so you know what Catholics believe, especially if you dialogue with them.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have myself also, I have studied Catholicism myself very in depth, in fact I have taken courses on Catholic theology at a very highly regarding Catholic university.

I'm fine with anyone disagreeing with the Catholic religion, or any religion for that matter, so long as they have half a brain in their head to know what it is they are disagreeing with. Too many lies out there. It is important to be well rounded.

I also think it is impotant to note to condemn Catholic soteriology is very much to condemn Othrodox, Lutheran, and Anglican theology. All of them are very liturgical and covenantal. All of them are sacramental and believe in infant baptism, a presence of Christ in the Eucharist in varied degrees, and so on.

God Bless.

15. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Have you read the book Save_ferris?

It is a book full of personal accounts from former priests, nuns and members of the Catholic church. WHY they left the Catholic church and what made them question the Catholic faith.

please read the book. It's not so laughable.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Caissie

In My Humble Opinion, that is a very bad statement ... Mormons are not Christian ...

Again Catholics are Christians ...

I edited this just in case your statement was an accident ...

17. Caissie

Caissie New Member

They believe that Jesus was the savior. They believe that he died, burried, and rose from the grave to save us from out sins. So, their doctrine says that God lives on a planet near a star called Kolab or something....who cares. I do not think that Jesus is going to tell them that they can not enter his kingdom because they believe a lot of crazy doctrines.

18. KeeperOfMyHome

Caissie,

Are you aware that Mormons do not believe that Jesus Christ is God? The Bible plainly states that Jesus said I and my Father are one. Aside from this, there are many, many verses that teach us that Jesus is God.

Mormons also teach:

Jesus has a beginning (in other words, they do not believe He is eternal)

Jesus had a natural conception (in other words, they do not believe the Holy Ghost came upon Mary)

Please check out this website so that you can be more informed about what Mormons really believe: http://www.ftfacts.com/morj.htm

If you do not believe WHO Jesus is and what the Bible teaches about Him, then I really do not believe that you can be saved.

Julia

[ February 21, 2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: KeeperOfMyHome ]

19. Caissie

Caissie New Member

I have read many books on Mormonism. I have studied them, brought them in my house, ate with them, even visited their church even after I studied the books (by the way, I learned things that the books did not cover by attending their service). I also know many groups that do not believe in the trinity. I do not think that on judgement day Jesus is going to say...., "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me..... but you believed that false trinity (or nontrinity) doctrine or you believed that Mary had a natural conception, so to hell with you."

In fact, by close observation of Mormons, I believe that some of them will have even more rewards in the kingdom than most baptists even though they believe some crazy things.

Yes, I believe that most Mormons are in danger of eternal damnation, but I also believe most "Christians" are too.

20. KeeperOfMyHome

You're kidding, right? I mean, to say that Jesus' conception was natural means that God isn't His Father and we have no hope.

At any rate, salvation isn't in any thing we have done or could do. No matter how well we treat others, we could never be so kind and compassionate to them that God forgive our sins for it. Salvation is by grace through faith, not works.

The person who has not trusted Jesus (the REAL Jesus of the Bible) as his Saviour is condemned. It has nothing to do with his works.

Julia