1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Jan 22, 2008.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Is it possible to "support" gay marriage, but still not agree with the lifestyle? I put "support" in quotes so to say that you are not necessarily encouraging it, but do not think it should be illegal. In other words, just as it is not illegal to commit adultry, you still don't believe it is right to do so.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way in agreement with homosexuality, or gay marriage. I am just posing a thought. Let me put it another way, can a person be wrong on an interpretation...but still be effective? Would you use the all-to-often used slogan "another jesus" at someone who in all other areas of life would seem to be orthodox?

Please understand this is just a thought, that doesn't even necessarily have to be applied to homosexuality or gay marriage. Pick something else if you have to.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Those verses are interesting indeed.

My thoughts are obviously stemming from the thread that has turned into "you worship another jesus if you have a tatoo". Okay, that's an exaggeration.

But there are a lot of remarks about the guy in question because 1) he supports gay marriage, and 2) he has tatoos. The remarks are hardly of those Paul made concerning those he accused of having wrong motives...and who's to say this kid doesn't have pure motives?! He could just be dead wrong...but still preaching the gospel, and may be even having effect!

Should we instead be saying, at least he is reaching people we wouldn't be able to reach otherwise? That seems to be a little more "pauline", don't you think?

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Creating a union between the two, in a marriage, guards both husband and wife along with their children. The institution of Marriage is God ordained institution. It is a legal arrangement.
    Adultery accomplishes the opposite. IT is also usually a fling, not a legal arrangement.

Adultery is a secret sin.

Marriage is a self-proclamation of honoring Gods will.

Can’t see how they are comparable with regards to legal vs illegal

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So does a person being wrong on a biblical issue discredit him completely? If so, aren't we all most likely wrong in something that we hold to?

Then how do you figure out the line? Personal preference? I think it is safe to assume that there are quite a handful that would discredit anyone for even thinking alcohol is okay...much less someone who casually consumes it. Should we take Paul's example from Philippians?

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If a person who supports gay marriage leads someone to Christ, are they really saved?

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Pastor, this is a can of worms. Is this the only area in which the person is in error? Have you heard his/her testimony to know that the one doing the leading truly has a testimony his/herself. Because if they support gay marriage, then you've got to wonder what other error they support. Maybe the leader is all (as in completely all) wet theologically - maybe not. Just playing devil's advocate to the devil's advocate ;)

If a tree falls in the forest and no one saw it or heard it, did it really fall?

#7 mcdirector, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I guess the person that is being talked about indirectly is the pastor from the other thread, who has tatoos and supports gay marriage. If these are the things we know about him....should our attitudes be the same as Paul in Philippians? For all we know he'd agree with essential doctrines of the faith.

Yet what sparked my motive for this thread is some of the criticisms people are saying about the guy...about his tatoos as much as, or more, than the fact he supports gay marriage.

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Wow, good question dan. I would initially say yes it is possible to support things that you do not agree with. For instance, I support freedom of religion for all people. That means that I support the right of a Muslim, Hindu, or follower of any other religion to believe and practice as they see fit. Of course I do not agree with their religious beliefs. I still believe they are lost and on their way to hell and the only way to avoid hell is through Jesus Christ. But I support their right to believe as they see fit.

Then you apply that to gay marriage.

Well first off you said:
    Well, that of course is not true. According to wikipedia it is a violation of state law to commit adultery in 26 states. The New York Post says 24 states in this link: The penalties of course vary from state to state. The steepest penalty for adultery comes in the state of Michigan where it can carry a penalty of up to life imprisonment (no kidding, that’s what it says in the wikipedia article above.) By comparison in Maryland adultery is punishable by a find of up to $10.

From the NY Post link above:
    Of course these laws are seldom enforced. The validity of enforcing a law against private consensual acts would be hard to prove given Supreme court rulings on the right to privacy.

The only place that I know of where adultery laws are still widely enforced is in the U. S. Military. I got out in 1992 but during my career I knew two men personally who were dishonably discharged because of adultery. Now both were officers and both had affairs with married women. An affair between two single people would probably not have been treated as harshly. This made news in 2005 when a 4 star general was relieved of his command for committing adultery.

So while seldom enforced it is not legal to commit adultery in much of our country.

Now that of course brings up the question of should we change these laws. If you think we should then you would be supporting the right of those individuals to committ adultery even though you might not approve of the act. Personally I don't think we should change these laws. The argument in the military is that adultery destroys moral and can tear down the effectivness of a unit jeapardizing national security. Certainly adultery can lead to other crimes like murder. There is a huge puplic cost associated with adultery and unwanted pregnancies. Adultery does affect our nation and states should have the right to outlaw and prosecute it. But that is just MHO.

Now as far as gay marriage. No I would not be in favor of it for the same reasons I would not be in favor of legalizing adultery.

10. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Is it possible to "support" my neighbor having the option of choosing Catholicism without endorsing Catholicism?

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I wasn't talking about the guy in the other thread - just thinking about Pastor's comment. :D

There were many of us in the other thread though that did say his support of gay marriage was wrong, but could care not a bit about his tats.

#11 mcdirector, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who supports gay marriage is to be disciplined by the church to include dismisal from fellowship if they reject reproof and refuse to repent.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

But the Bible plainly says homosexuality is wrong, the same can't be said for Caholicism (although I'm sure someone may sweep in and tell me I'm wrong here).

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Would the same go for someone who has a decidedly different stance on eschatology than you? Or alcohol?

15. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Dr. L.T. Ketchum New Member

How can a Christian support something God condemns? How can a Christian accept, support or condone marriage, which is supposed to be the union of a man, a woman and God as it portrays the New Genesis in Christ, between two men or two women when such a thing is an absolute distortion of this spiritual union?

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

You can bet it is coming.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Christians can do all kinds of things and then fall under conviction that they have been wrong.

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

And you mentioned the other thing ;)

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I guess this has a lot to do with the priesthood of believers. Although most all of us would completely agree with what you have said about homosexuality, I know a guy who has a "biblical" defense of his homosexual lifestyle. I think he has totally twisted scripture, but when do we draw the line? That pastor from the other thread supports gay marriage....but what if he is in agreement with other aspects of the faith concerning salvation? This is, after all, his interpretation, just as we have ours..

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This is so true. I have a friend who has so warped scripture to support a sinful lifestyle - every verse he uses is a very valid verse and taken completely out of context!