1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it true that.....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

......, as Ralph Carmichael wrote back in the late 1950's, "The Savior Is Waiting"?

Recently I was surfing my old radio dial at the lower end of the FM band where most Christian radio stations are located on the dial when I caught the tail end of some radio evangelist's show when (whoever it was....I couldn't make out who it was because the radio signal was breaking up really badly.) he had some singer close out the program with that Ralph Carmichael song, "The Savior Is Waiting":

The Savior is waiting to enter your heart,/Why don't you let Him come in?/There's nothing in this world to keep you apart,/What is your answer to Him?/ (Chorus) Time after time He has waited before,/And now He is waiting again/To see if you're willing to open the door:/ O how He wants to come in.

Now, I'm not a hyper-Calvinist, but neither am I a died-in-the-wool Arminian, but something about that song's lyrics just doesn't seem to agree with what the Apostle Paul wrote about Jesus in some parts of his NT letters.

I guess it's sort of like that picture I've seen on some Facebook sites of a poor, wimpy-like Jesus standing out in the cold, with hat-in-hand, tenderly knocking on that knob-less door waiting, PLEADING for the hardened, probably muscularly-built macho-man to let widdle Jesus into his heart.:tear: :tear:

Is that the same Jesus who is King of Kings and Lord of Lords? Is that the same Jesus of Revelation 4 and 5? :thumbsup:

Well, IS IT??

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You know the famous picture of, “The Light of the World”? It seems to me to be one of the finest sermons the eyes have ever looked upon. There stands the Ever-Blessed, knocking at the door of the soul, but the hinges are rusted, the door, itself, is fast bolted and wild briars and all kinds of creeping plants running up the door prove that it has been along time since it was moved. You know what it all means—how continuance in sin makes it harder to yield to the knock of Christ and how evil habits creeping up, one after another, hold the soul so fast that it cannot open to the sacred knocking. Jesus has been knocking at some of your hearts ever since you were children—and still He knocks. I hear His blessed hand upon the door at this moment! Do you not hear it? Will you not open?" —Charles Spurgeon, "Knock"

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Interesting that one should invoke "Saint Charles Haddon Spurgeon" into this discussion.

As if CHS IS THE CHIEF JUSTICE AND ARBITER OF ANY AND ALL THEOLOGICAL INQUESTS!!!

It's common knowledge that, for better or worse, St. Spurgeon's collected writings cover so many and varied observations over the broad spectrum of human experience that--to some folks anyway--if one happens to unearth a comment that St. Spurgeon made on whatever topic is at hand, well THEN all other debate on that topic must, henceforth and forever, cease and desist----pronto!! :thumbs:

Let's see........

I'm cranking my St. Spurgeon search engine to see what it comes up with when I enter such Bible passages as Acts 13:48 and Ephesians 2:1 for starters.

Ought to be REALLY enlightening! :thumbs: :tonofbricks: