1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it worth it to keep going to this church?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Emily25069, Nov 27, 2006.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would never join a church that was KJVO. That's my personal conviction. If you feel that other versions are valid and/or more accurate than the KJV, you should be in a church where that point of view is allowed. I would wonder what the effect on children would be if they could use the NIV at home but not at church.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I'd expect the pastor to visit y'all in your home if you are prospective members. But regardless of where, face-to-face is always helpful when a touchy subject is discussed. There's SO much room for misunderstanding when you're not eye-to-eye.

I'd hope for this much: (1) he doesn't harp on the issue and seldom says more than "you can believe the book you hold in your hands," and (2) you are welcome so long as you do not advocate a position contrary to the pastor's.

This second point might elicit howls of protest from the Legalism Police on these boards, but I'm looking at this situation from a pastor's viewpoint. KJVO is a matter of conscience to these pastors, derived from their "biblical" doctrine of inspiration/preservation. They cannot allow "false" teaching in the congregation. If you believe that God leads you to such a ministry, it's for sure he hasn't led you there to undercut the teaching of the pastor.

3. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

effects on children....

Y'all really think it would be that big of an issue, to simply state to them that the Pastor takes this view and mommy and daddy do not agree with it?

It seems like this would be any other thing like that.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do that all the time.

When my son returned from a week-long camp, espousing that "drums are evil," I had to remind him that I've played some sort of percussion instrument pretty much all my life.

Then I showed him "timbrels" throughout the Old Testament, which is basically a tambourine, but requires that you "beat on it," and asked him how Scripture could speak of using a timbrel but now we say any kind of drums are wrong?

Then I asked why pianos are the only acceptable musical instrument, when they weren't even invented until the 1600-1700s ... several thousand years after the timbrel.

Then I told him that yes, drums are used inappropriately in most music; that's why we must have a discerning spirit, not just a negative one.

-----

I'm a KJV preferred; don't like the NIV at all, and wouldn't join a church that uses the NIV. If the version of the Bible used is a (the?) major point in your decision, then don't join that church.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

KJVo church member

Coming from a "militant" KJVo church memeber, I can only inform you what we do about this situation.

We have had MANY peoplecome to us who are not KJVo we do not tell folks you cannot be members if you are not KJVo. But you cannot be a leader or teacher if you teach from a different version.

A very good friend joined us years b4 I joined. He was a former pastor. He taught exclusively from NIV in his former ministry. Nothing was ever said that he had to change his BV of choice. But after just a few weeks he went and got KJV's for everyone in his family. Today, three of his four sons are now either pastoring a church or teaching Sunday School in KJv churches.

So you see, even "militant" churches are not always the "boogey man" that many people say we are.

I would follow what the Lord is leading you to do. Do not let others sway you from what could be the exact place God wants you simply because they have an agenda against KJVo.

6. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Spoke with the Pastor

VERY nice man. We look forward to seeing if it is the church where God wants our family.

I explained to him the situation, and he let me know that they do believe the the KJV is God's word, and he does preach it from the pulpit BUT like anything else, there are differences of opinion and thats okay. He would expect that.

He says that he is not legalistic about it and there would never be any animosity towards us for using a different version, but if we ever were put in a position of teaching or anything of that matter, we would need to use the kJV.

We are fine with that, and I am going out to buy KJVs anyhow, since you can get them at the dollar store.

I am very much looking forward to this Sunday.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sounds like a good balanced position to me, as a matter of fact this is the postion of most KJV-preferring IFB churches.

8. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the same with our new church home,
    also an IFB - KJVO church. :wavey:

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Did you ever realize the people who said we only use 10% of our brains were only using 10% of their brains when they said that?:godisgood:

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

If you don't want this to be an issue, don't make it one? Seems like a good question. If any church member tries to make you out to be a lesser Christian, guess what? They are! We're not in any contest!

How does your husband feel about this? Would you feel deceptive if you never asked anyone and just attended until you felt you should join and then asked? Or join and never ask?

I believe you may be making a molehill into a mountain.

We are a KJB church, we speak English, we don't believe people should be confused about the Bible or what God has to say.

Do we make "outcasts" for using other versions? No! we just don't use them! Do we preach that we only use the KJB? Yes! We don't want anyone to leave confused.

Are there any "mean-spirited" Christians in our church? Yes.

Would they jump on anyone for not using the KJB? Better not! But we do encourage suggestions.

Why are yall bouncing around so much anyway to have been to so many churches and now considering this one? I'm not trying to intrude, but is it because you've moved or just running into problems at these other churches?

11. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Salamander

Yes. We have recently moved 2 hours away from where we are from, so that is why we are looking at a new church. We were previously members of an SBC church.

Let me give you my background

We were first saved and married at a charismatic/word of faith type church. My husband first noticed some things wrong with that church so we left to find a church that wasnt so off.

We jumped around a bit, and sadly, slept in a bit (if you kwim?) and pretty well stopped going to church altogether.

Meanwhile, his brother married a KJV girl, and we started to attend church with them once in a while, but found that their church WAS mean spirited, and in more ways than just about the KJV, but the KJV was a big part of it. I did my research and cannot honestly understand how anyone CAN be KJV-only. I would actually feel as though I were outright lying if I tried to pretend to be kJV only. I dont know everything of course, and I suppose that one day I could find myself holding that position, but as for right now, it would be wrong for me to do so. Anyhow, we found that we agreed with Baptist doctrine, but we couldnt be a part of that KJVonly church.

Over the course of time, my husbands brother and wife found another church to attend and we went with them there as well, only to be outright DISGUSTED with some of the preaching in that church. It was so absolutely ignorant and ridiculuos, and again, the KJV issue was just the tip of the iceburg, but it is what stands out the most.

However, my husbands likes and need no-nonsense, easy to follow preaching, and it seems as though you can only find this type of preaching at IFB KJV churches. Our home SBC church leaned towards being lukewarm. It is probable that we would not have stayed there much longer anyhow. It was good I think for when we started going back to church after sleeping in or visiting other places, but in the long run, it wasnt for us.

We moved where we are at about 2 months ago, and have been to a few churches, and this KJV church is the one that we like the most so far as far as preaching goes. We have also felt very warmly received there. This was the one issue that could stop us. I do feel as though it has been taken care of.

I did not know that this issue could be a molehill. I mean, it IS the word of God right? It seemed to me that if KJVO's really felt that the KJV was the only word of God, then other corrupted versions would be absolutely not allowed in their churchhouse.

Anyhow. We got it figured out, and I cant wait until Sunday!

12. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends or if they are followers of Ruckman or not. I am a strong KJVO, but I have no truck with Ruck. We don't have Bible checks either but when it is appropriate either in my SS Class or when I am preaching I will state my position.

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

My wife and I attend a Free Will Baptist Church. The pastor and some of the members there are mildly KJVO - they occasionally state their beliefs that the KJV is the only legitimate English Bible version, but it isn't a major issue there. The church is a loving and praying church, and we really love that about it. We normally carry KJV Bibles to church because we have KJV Bibles with print larger than some of the other Bibles we have (at our ages print size can be a determining factor). It is normally easier to follow along with what is being read when the version on your lap is the same version the preacher is reading. If the KJVO issue ever becomes a major problem at our church I am sure my wife and I will seek another church which isn't KJVO, but until that time or until we feel the Lord is leading us elsewhere, we will likely stay right where we are.

14. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Well, we went

I loved it!

but I do have a question.

The Pastor was a little......theatrical in his approach, moving his voice up and down with a lot of hand and arm gestures. We are pretty new to Independent Fundamental Baptist churches, but this seems to be the norm with the 3 that we have visisted to.

Im not used to this. While I liked what he had to say, the big movements and sounds were hard to get past.

Is this normal?

Why is it normal?

I dont understand it.

While I really really loved what the Pastor said, I would be a little weary about bringing friends and family to this church for fear that they would just make fun of him and not even take into account what he is saying.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL! I go to a SBC church and our preacher pretended he was Nehimiah (I think) chasing someone out of the temple the other Sunday. Ran clear across the stage and out the side door!

I don't think theatrics are limited to IFB churches. :laugh:

What matters is that the theatrics are based on truth and the context of the scripture being preached. Do they help clarify what is being taught? (in our case it was a pretty close imitation of what the scripture said and helped to lighten the mood of a very serious sermon)

One other thing: Theatrics shouldn't terrify the young children that are present in the service. No TV bashing or throwing things across the sanctuary should be tolerated.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Emily,

Without having seen or heard him myself, it's hard to say. I've seen men who walk all over the platform and men who never stray from the pulpit. I've seen men who literally scream from the pulpit, and some who are very soft-spoken. I saw one nut climb on top of the pulpit during his message and nearly topple over. Compared to that, I'd say what you saw was tame. :smilewinkgrin:

17. USBaptist

USBaptist New Member

Just Keep Goin'....

I think I would just keep going and using my KJV Bible.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched a guy one time kick his feet up in the air every couple of seconds. After about fifteen minutes of this, he proudly pronounced to us that the reason he did it was because he knew we'd never forget him.

He was right. I still don't have a clue what he preached about, but I haven't forgotten him....

19. AirmanofGod

AirmanofGod New Member

Hi, Im a new member of this forum. I've been reading some questions, comments and other stuff for the past 2 weeks and I really enjoy reading the comments of everybody. This is a good way to discuss things.

Anyway, on Emily's question about the church they are attending...all I can is, as long as you know that this is where God wants you and your family, you don't have to worry about anything. There's no perfect church...as long as this church is feeding you and your family spiritually stay in it and support the pastor. Anywhere you'll go, you will always find something wrong and you will find something to say in a particular church but if you know and sure that this is where God wants you to be then probably God want to show you something why He put you and your family in this church. Just focus you attention to God and in how you can serve Him better. Don't look around because you'll get disappointed because all around you are humans saved by Grace.

Know God's will for you and your family and that's all that matters.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

AMEN BROTHER AIRMAN OF GOD!!!!! preach it!

And btw; What is OK city like? I was born there but haven't been back since I was 2 yr old.

If you are where God wants you and your family to be, then nothing should sway you from standing where you are planted.