1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it wrong for Christians to have regrets?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Apr 25, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Your thoughts?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If we do not regret each and every sin we commit, we do not have a right picture of the cross.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's wrong to hang on to them like boulder chained around one's neck.

I don't think any normal person has NOT experienced regret. It's human nature. We can regret something as simple as eating that extra piece of pizza or regretting something as serious as missing a perfect and prime opportunity to witness to someone and now wondering about that person's relationship with God.

Paul regretted some things. In 2 Corinthians 7, he said that he does not currently regret sending a letter to the church at Corinth even though he initially did because of it's content. He regretted hurting their feelings, but he did NOT regret that his words brought some of them to repentence.

Paul also had a past that I think troubled him. He called himself the "chief of sinners" in 1 Timothy.

But essentially, Paul said in Philippians 3:12-14 that one must forget the past in order to pursue the future prize being the kind of Christian that God requires us to be.

Regrets are normal. Pain over our pasts are normal.

But, as Christians, we shouldn't set up housekeeping there. We may have to seek forgiveness of others, set right something that was our fault, or mend several fences. We may have to get on our faces before God and confess and repent.

But ultimately, we are to live in the grace and mercy of Christ and, as Paul said, admit our imperfections and move on towards the prize of our high calling.

#3 Scarlett O., Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your Point Is Excellent

Even though we know that God not only forgives our sin, He also forgets that sin, removing it as far as the East is from the West, Psalm 103:12.

Still, we must have some form of regret to get us to first, repent, and seond, learn from that sin, and never commit it again.

I also have tremendous regrets over doors I failed to go through; words I said to others that hurt them; sins against my brothers and sisters, sucj as gossip, slander, hateful words to others, and hurtful words, actions and deeds that surely scarred others for a long time, if, not for their life!

So yes, I believe we righteous regret, and that regret goes a long way in molding us into a better person for the sake of others and ourself, and as Scarlett said, we must then move on, not allowing regret to hold us in the past for the future. Regret, learn, and move it along!

Pastor Paul:type:

#4 righteousdude2, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

When God said what He did in Gen. 6:7 and I Sam. 15:11 were those statements like a regret for Him?

It is listed so in Strong's Hebrew definition for the word.
    05162 // Mxn // nacham // naw-kham' //

a primitive root; TWOT - 1344; v

AV - comfort 57, repent 41, comforter 9, ease 1; 108

1) to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted
    1a) (Niphal)
    1a1) to be sorry, be moved to pity, have compassion
    1a2) to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent
    1a3) to comfort oneself, be comforted
    1a4) to comfort oneself, ease oneself
    1b) (Piel) to comfort, console
    1c) (Pual) to be comforted, be consoled
    1d) (Hithpael)
    1d1) to be sorry, have compassion
    1d2) to rue, repent of
    1d3) to comfort oneself, be comforted
    1d4) to ease oneself

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

There's only one thing in my life I DON'T regret--getting saved.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I sometimes regret I signed up with Baptist Board.
    Is that wrong ?:type:

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    14But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

15And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

16And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void to offence toward God, and toward men.

13Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

15Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know why?

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't. It's been a very interesting ride. I do miss how it used to be though. All these PEOPLE ruined a perfectly good way to interact with other people. :laugh: <-- emoticon inserted to help others gain a better understanding of the mood of my sentences

11. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have regrets....lots of them. But I don't let them weigh me down, because I am saved by grace, not by works.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mt. 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Any thoughts of regret should immediately turn us back to the cross, where we must place them under the shed blood of Christ that covers us. To regret is to live outside of the present moment, where we can truly meet God.

14. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Worldly sorrow produces death, Godly sorrow brings repentance. Regret once, mean it, repent, believe the gospel, forget it.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I regret many things in this life the biggest of which is that I didn't get saved the first time I heard His name.
    MB

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Who is there that doesn't have regrets? We have all made mistakes, said things we wished we could take back, when through doors we really shouldn't have, etc.

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Point

AMEN to your comment!:thumbsup: