1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it wrong to learn Greek?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Ditto the Berry text. It's a good place to begin!

2. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Funny you have a "functioning brain" that requires going to the Greek to understand Mark 1:10 when I came to the same conclusion of the Heavens opened to mean the ministry of Christ began and the way into the Holy of Holies was being prepared by the English of the KJB.

3. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Phileo and agapao don't even begin to define "love" as we know it. The example of these tow in John 21 are just another tangent and a distraction to studying the Bible in English.

Anyone with a rational mind can see there is a difference when Jesus asked Peter three times, and yes to know anything about anything it is best advised to ask questions. W/o the greeek defintions, I may have a bit of trouble understanding the passage at the first, but with a closer study I could easily see there to be the differences in what types of love there is indicated. Talking about diversionary tactics? :rolleyes:

All I have ever seen is those Greek students promote themselves to be above others in learning, but then the factor of the pride that goes along with it is so ungodly and repulsive. :rolleyes:

4. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Directions to get to Wal-Mart: Go six miles to red light and turn left. Go four blocks and turn right. Go five blocks and turn right again. Go four blocks turn right again. Go three miles and turn left. Go six and a half miles and turn right. Go three and a half miles turn right Then go seven miles turn right again and proceed 1/2 mile and Wal Mart is on the left, but you could have saved yourself a lot of time and just turned left and went 1/2 mile and Wal Mart would be on the left. Or you could have studied Greek for four years and found out the English in the KJB already said it. :D

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God forbid. Sadly you are wrong. I've studied the Greek for years (even the inferior Greek underlying the AV) and the AV English varies from it quite regularly.

Hence the need for understanding the Bible AS WELL as some good English translations. For those who opt to go through life with only a small vision, God bless you.

But there is a LOT you are missing. A LOT!

6. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Show me by your Greek that I have missed in the Bible, Doc?

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

What in the world does this have to do with what I posted to you?

Out with diversionary tactics!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Archangel and i have been discussing the use of schizo defined as opened in Mark 1:10 for nearly three pages dear, where have you been?
    </font>[/QUOTE]You apparently didn't understand that Archangel's lexicons were indeed Koine Greek ones and I was just pointing that out to you. Rather than dealing with what I actually posted, and perhaps having to admit you misunderstood, you address my post by saying something completely off-topic to it. One of your diversionary tactics, something we could use a lot less of around here, for the sake of meaningful discussion.

I could do without the condescension as well, if you don't mind.

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

Perhaps you missed that the dividing of the heavens at Jesus' baptism was alluding to the barrier between heaven and earth being torn away through the work of Christ, something that's plainer to see in the Greek.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You missed it!

Moi genoito is in EVERY Greek text in Romans 6:2. It always has meant, will mean, and still means "May it not be".

No one reading the AV would have a CLUE what God really said in His Word. The AV "sucks out of the royal thumb" language like "God" and "Forbid" that have NO BASIS in the Word of God.

10. Precepts

Precepts New Member

What in the world does this have to do with what I posted to you?

Out with diversionary tactics!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Archangel and i have been discussing the use of schizo defined as opened in Mark 1:10 for nearly three pages dear, where have you been?
    </font>[/QUOTE]You apparently didn't understand that Archangel's lexicons were indeed Koine Greek ones and I was just pointing that out to you. Rather than dealing with what I actually posted, and perhaps having to admit you misunderstood, you address my post by saying something completely off-topic to it. One of your diversionary tactics, something we could use a lot less of around here, for the sake of meaningful discussion.

I could do without the condescension as well, if you don't mind.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, Sis', I must of missed it, run it by me again and Ditto to the condescending language you use in telling me to stop with the condescending language I didn't use.

11. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Russell, I didn't miss it. My wife and I discussed it all the way to church tonight in the 25 minutes it takes to get there. I was ready to introduce that when i got back tonight. I never had to understand the Greek to know what the passage is about, in fact I had just posted that a little while ago.

Dr. Bob, "God forbid" means "may it not be", and in fewer words, 1 less letter, and even less type space, for the simple to understand it better. [​IMG]

12. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

An interesting statement by Precepts:

"Phileo and agapao don't even begin to define "love" as we know it. The example of these tow in John 21 are just another tangent and a distraction to studying the Bible in English."

Now I'm not trying to be troublesome here but...

These words in this setting probably mean the SAME thing. The only Aramaic word here is 'aheb - so John is likely just using style here! It's silly to think that we miss something profound by reading it only in English!

Precepts did make (indirectly) a good point. The English is sufficient - if it were not then God would have likely not given us it. Most people cannot grasp Greek (let alone Hebrew). In truth most ministers attempting to "show" things about the original languages know only about enough to be "dangerous" as the old saying goes!

[​IMG]

13. russell55

russell55 New Member

Where did I condescend to you? I address you as an adult, and a thinking one at that, trying to deal with the issues you bring up--pointing out where the problems are in your arguments, pointing out where you use illogical arguments or ineffective tactics like diversion and double standard. That's hardly condescension.

You, however, address me as "dear". THAT is condescending.

14. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Your post is condescending "DEAR" and "dear" is not condescending, I use it as giving due respect to ladies, it's a southern thang, dear.

15. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Now Charles! You know that won't fit the mold of the Greek geeks! True though isn't it? "tee hee"

16. russell55

russell55 New Member

Well, could you please stop using it on me? I find it condescending.

17. Precepts

Precepts New Member

If you'll quit finding it condescending I will.

18. michelle

michelle New Member

Peace and love to you all in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour!

russell55,

You quoted:

Perhaps you missed that the dividing of the heavens at Jesus' baptism was alluding to the barrier between heaven and earth being torn away through the work of Christ, something that's plainer to see in the Greek
    --------------------------------------------------

Precepts did not miss this, and that was exactly his point. He does not need to know the greek, nor anyone else for that matter, to understand it, because it is already given to us in the Holy Bible of the KJV. His opposition initially was to the word "torn" in that version, which also reflects my opposition to that word, as referring or characterizing our Loving Father in Heaven as being forceful, rather than lovingkind, gentle, peaceful, merciful,patient and loving, which is depicted in the context of and action taking place in this passage. As Precepts said also, that this was not a form of judgement upon sin, which this word would then be an appropriate and more accurate word translation for the text, however in this instance it does in no way, shape or form give the true character of God in this context, and therefore does not belong there, hence the KJV has it properly translated. We do not need to know the greek to understand this.

Hope you don't mind Precepts!

May the Lord richly bless you all.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord,
    michelle

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precepts - Please be careful how you address others and defer to their requests. I called a poster "kiddo" (common term for male/female here in Wyoming) and they took offense. I stopped. I think.

A word to the wise . . . [​IMG]

20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, Precepts, son, I know where you're coming from, boy. Ain't them uppity women something? Don't let them get to you, honey. It's just a nawthun thang.