1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it wrong to project any Bible text on overhead screens during service?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 17, 2014.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Granted, in this church we do not have a requirement that everyone have the same exact version. Which is why we project scriptural text on the ovwerhead screens?

But, I was wondering if this is taking away from the people the desire to open the Bible and follow along? I haven't heard and negative about it, but some complaints on using different version on the projected material!

You all know that I am notorious for jumping around and using several different versions of scripture in my comments and threads. So do any of you think this is a bad idea, not having a church preference i.e., NKJV, or RSV, or ESV?

We have successfully blended all ages in the church, and the attire is whatever a person feels like wearing so long as it isn't provocative or tempting to another!

The laid-back approachto people using any version they feel comfortable with is something the church does, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Still, your views and opinions are important, and I will consider them all. I am interested in what other SBC curches are doing, so anything you share will be appreciated!

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor preaches out of the NASB, and it's on two (t.v.) screens. The NASB is my preference, so it fits well with me.

It especially came in handy recently when I lost my bible. I couldn't remember if I left it at the church building, or I had misplaced it at home....

But really, we've got an exceptional rate of people who bring a bible, follow along, make notes, etc.

We have somewhere around 30 adults, and I think about 25 actively engage with the scriptures during service.

And there are at least 6 different translations represented. Haven't heard anyone mention the screens one way or another

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would rather not have to leaf through a bulky volume resting on my lap while listening to a sermon.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

While it is convenient, there is something uncomfortable about taking something so worthy and putting it on something so temporary, able to be changed in an instant with nobody to catch it or say it was changed and thus an ability to be abused, able to be lost with a power outage.

It does make me a little sad.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By projecting Bible verses on a screen it forces disinterested people to look at the word of God.

As to it being lost in a power outage:

Matthew 24:35
    Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Isaiah 40:8
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever.

Your objection is silly.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We will use the reference on the screen but don't normally put the actual verse on the screen unless hubby wants it. It would be an important verse and we would want people to open their Bible as well but this way, he can point to sections physically. But we might do that once every month or so. We prefer people to use their own Bible to look up the verse. If you do not have one, one will be provided for you. :)

7. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

If people are to lazy to open their bible and read scripture stay at home. A remote for the lazy TV watchers now a big screen for the lazy church members.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get it, I understand.

If you don't bring your Bible with you, and it better be KJV... we don't want you at our church.

If you're a man and you don't wear a tie...we don't want you at our church.

If you wear shorts... we don't want you at our church.

If you're a woman and you wear pants...we don't want you at our church.

If you have a beer now and again.... we don't want you at our church.

If you're a man with longer hair.... we don't want you at our church.

If you're a woman with a hemline more than 2" above your knee... we don't want you at our church.

If you go to the movies....we don't want you at our church.

If you've ever bought a lottery ticket... we don't want you at our church.

Did I miss anything?

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally agree with this. :wavey:

10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of this is preference. It is my preference that each church member bring their bible; whether it is in printed form or digital (Kindle, iPad, Android tablet etc.). There is systemic problem of biblical illiteracy in our churches today. I think of what the prophet Amos wrote:

Amos 8:11-12 11 "Behold, days are coming," declares the Lord GOD, "When I will send a famine on the land, Not a famine for bread or a thirst for water, But rather for hearing the words of the LORD. 12 "People will stagger from sea to sea And from the north even to the east; They will go to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, But they will not find it."

In Israel's case their famine for hearing the words of the Lord was due to their repeated disobedience and hardness of heart (Amos 8:4).

I want my church members to go to the passages on their own. I want them to become biblically literate, as well as biblically obedient.

I am not anti-technology. If church members want to use the tablet of their choice instead of a printed bible, that is fine. I am also not against projecting media on a screen. Good judgment must temper all things.

As far as bible versions, I preach from the NAS. It is not required that others use my preferred version, although many find it helpful to do so for the sake of continuity.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's good is that these corporations require explicit ID of their products when used this way -- makes it hard to slip in MVs unawares:thumbs:

http://www.harpercollinschristian.com/permissions/ (NIV and NKJV)

http://www.tyndale.com/00_home/permissions.php (NLT)

12. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "While it is convenient, there is something uncomfortable about taking something so worthy and putting it on something so temporary, able to be changed in an instant with nobody to catch it or say it was changed and thus an ability to be abused, able to be lost with a power outage.

It does make me a little sad.
    "

Gina B..., how true..., how true!!!

Should the power go off there goes the electric guitar and the Sam's Club Keyboard and the electronic sax. Included will be the loss of any rhythm section with sounds generated from another electronic device.

There won't be any singing as there are no song books and the words can't otherwise be flashed on the wall. There will be a lot of "humming" as the folks don't know the words. (Speaking of humming..., you know why Humming Bird's hum? They don't know the words!)

Then, without a wireless microphone and accompanying sound system amplifier the sermon can't be delivered.

Oh my!?!? What's a congregation to do should the power go out?

For sure, I'll bet the Lord is really pleased with today's technology. The old way was such a burden.

Back when our grand kids were smaller the phone rang one day. The kids went nuts running around the house trying to find the "Wireless Remote Phone". They couldn't find it..., panic set in..., and fear gripped all of 'em. No one could find the phone!!!

...in the meantime I picked up the receiver on that old time phone hanging on the wall and said, "Hello".

Makes one wonder how the likes of Oliver Green ever got a message across during his Tent Meetings.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's "wrong" to project any Bible text on overhead screens. In fact, I like the practice. I use a different translation than does my pastor and the overhead allows me to compare and keep up. I have not witnessed this as taking the place of using one's Bible. It also helps when taking notes. But it is also not "wrong" to refrain from projecting these texts.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase "Should the power go off" reminds me of Charles H. Spurgeon. He was preaching a prepared sermon of course, when all of a sudden the oil lamps went dark. CHS spoke extemporaneously on a particularly suitable subject with direct application as if if it was planned. I forget the name of that message delivered under unusual circumstances.