1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Jesus a Pacifist?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by LadyEagle, Jun 30, 2003.

1. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi SheEagle9/11. Thank you for your comments. You said; "... did Peter use a symbolic sword when he cut off the guard's ear?" No. That was a literal sword, and Peter was reprimanded by the LORD for using it (Matt. 26: 52). The Bibles tells us to use the "spiritual sword" instead (Heb. 4: 12, Eph. 6: 17).

You said; " Did Jesus use a fake symbolic whip when He drove the money changers from the temple?" No. It was real. However, the "sword" of Matt. 10: 34 and the "small cords" (whip?) of John 2: 15 are not the same, just as the literal fruit in Matt. 26:29 is not the same as the figurative fruit in Matt. 3: 8, and Matt. 7: 16.

IF the "sword" of Matt. 10: 34 were literal, then it would mean that the LORD has called upon believers to be literally aggressive and at "variance" with loved ones: including our parents (v35). Such an idea is impossible and is strictly forbidden in the Ten Commandments (Exo. 20: 12, Exo. 21: 15, 17). However, when we properly view this verse as containing a spiritual sword (Heb. 4: 12, Eph. 6: 17), then the harmony is perfect since we are BLESSING our loved ones when we preach the Gospel to them (though they might not think so when we do).

Blessed are the PEACEMAKERS (Matt. 5: 9). Thanks SheEagle9/11.

2. John Wells

John Wells New Member

’Twas a comparison between the “Suffering Servant,” and the “Lion of Judah.” Your question asks a totally unmerited question (with perhaps a foregone conclusion) on your part.

My joy will not be in the destruction of souls, but in the fulfilled promises of God that Jesus has come, and justice and deliverance are at hand!

But God will shoot them with arrows;
    suddenly they will be struck down.
    He will turn their own tongues against them
    and bring them to ruin;
    all who see them will shake their heads in scorn.
    All mankind will fear;
    they will proclaim the works of God
    and ponder what he has done.
    Let the righteous rejoice in the LORD
    and take refuge in him;
    let all the upright in heart praise him!
    (Psalm 64:7-10)

I agree totally! [​IMG]

We have the promise, but not the fulfillment, unless you are living in a different world than the one I see around me! :eek:

3. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi John. Thank you for your comments. You said; ’Twas a comparison between the “Suffering Servant,” and the “Lion of Judah.” The "Suffering Servant" and the "Lion of Judah" are one and the same; with equal power, equal might and equal GLORY. Christ was every bit GOD in His first coming (the Cross) as he will be in the second coming. To view it otherwise is to diminish Christ's POWER might and substance in the first coming.

You said; "Your question asks a totally unmerited question (with perhaps a foregone conclusion) on your part." Not at all.

You said; " We have the promise, but not the fulfillment,..." That is not what John 12: 31 and Matt. 28: 18 say. Those verses say NOW; meaning at the time that Christ stated it 2000 years ago:

"NOW is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out" (John 12: 31) emphasis on "now" is mine.

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, ALL power is given unto me in heaven and in earth" (Matt. 28: 18) emphasis on "all" is mine.

There is nothing about future "promise" in those verses. It is stated as fact, FULFILLED at THAT time, 2000 years ago at the cross.

You said; "...unless you are living in a different world than the one I see around me!". Sin has always been in the world and WILL always be in the world right until the last day. The world is no more sinful today than it was in ancient times (though some like to say it is). One only needs to read the vast wickedness described throughout the OT to see that this is so. Little sins within are just as damning as the other man's "big" ones (James 2: 10). Thanks! latterrain77

4. John Wells

John Wells New Member

When Jesus took on humanity, He set aside some of His “power.” Do we see Jesus getting tired (at the well)? Does God get tired? You missed the point, anyway I was speaking of different missions as “Suffering Servant” and “Lion of Judah.” Power is not an issue.

As per above, you sure read a lot into my answers, coming up with all kinds of stuff that’s not written or implied.

The “Judgement” I speak of vs. “judgement,” comes when death is defeated and all evil is cast out of the world into the Lake of Fire.

Read 2 Timothy 3 and Matthew 24. ;)