1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Jesus God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 2 Tim. 2:15, Jul 9, 2008.

1. 2 Tim. 2:15

2 Tim. 2:15 New Member

Please base your answers on Bible Scriptures. I want everyone to know that I am not on here to prove that I know this answer, but rather to prove the scriptures are right. I seek no glory of my own. I've just been studying the topic and I've heard some interesting views... some which sound good and true and some that don't. I'll let the Bible decide what's the truth.

2. 2 Tim. 2:15

Forgot to say Hello

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Welcome,

John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, my Lord and my God.

John 1:1 .....the Word was with God and the Word WAS God

For starters.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hello. :wavey:

Gen 1:1 IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
    Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
    Col 1:16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
    Col 1:17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.

Col 2:9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily;

Isa 9:6 For unto us a Child is born,
    Unto us a Son is given;
    And the government will be upon His shoulder.
    And His name will be called
    Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Jhn 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
    Exd 3:14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Jhn 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

Jhn 20:28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Phl 2:6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,

Tts 2:13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,

Enough? :)

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

"I [Jesus Christ] and my Father are one."
    John 10:30

6. 2 Tim. 2:15

7. 2 Tim. 2:15

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Romans 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Matthew 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

In each of these scriptures was each of these actually one (person) or does saying multiple beings are one means they share something alike which is unseen?

8. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John 8:58 is the clincher for me: the Jews knew exactly what He meant by that statement which is why they tried to stone Him for blasphemy.

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

[Duplicate Post deleted - thought I'd clicked "Preview" but must have clicked "Submit". Sorry.]

#9 David Lamb, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

In the bible, the phrase "shall be called" does not have one of the meanings we sometimes give it in English. It does not mean that the thing or person spoken about would be called one thing, but in reality would be quite different. Take Isaiah 35.8, for instance:

A highway shall be there, and a road, And it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, But it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, Shall not go astray. ​
    The idea that the highway would only be called the Highway of Holiness, and not actually be a highway of holiness seems odd, at least to me. And when Jersus quoted the Old Testament to those who were using the temple at Jerusalem as commercial preises, saying, "My house shall be called the house of prayer," He didn't mean that a sign was to be fixed to its walls, bearing the words, "House of Prayer". A house of prayer was what it was to be. Taken to its logical conclusion, your argument, if correct, would prove that Jesus is not the Son of God, for we read in Luke 1.35:
    And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God."​
    But that makes nonsense of the context, for Mary has just asked how she can possible become pregnant, as she did not know (in the sense of having sexual relationships with) a man. If Jesus was not truly the Son of God, but was just called by that title, Mary's question remained unanswered.

11. Cutter

Cutter New Member

If Jesus was not Immanuel, (God with us) then who was He?

#11 Cutter, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

2 Tim, Is there a purpose for your question? Let's just cut to the chase. Who do you say Jesus is?

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The verses are pretty well covered here. Jesus is God! Not a demurge or anything else. I think CS Lewis also covers it pretty well in his Mere Christianity.

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Bingo!:thumbs:

15. standingfirminChrist

Yes, Jesus is God. And The Word of God clearly shows us this:

Hebrews 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Case closed.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What happened to the OP? My question still stands 2 Tim.

Who do you say Jesus is?

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm beginning to feel ignored.:(

Is there some reason you don't want to answer my question, 2 Tim.?

18. standingfirminChrist

Maybe he can't? [​IMG]

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Maybe so. I'm beginning to think there's an agenda hidden in here somewhere.
    Why would someone who claims to be a Christian avoid telling us who Jesus is to him?

I'll tell you who I say He is. His is the very image of the living God! He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords! He is God in the flesh! He is my Lord, my Savior and my God!

Thank You :jesus:

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen! :thumbs: