1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Joel 2 A Double...?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

So what you are saying is the Babylonian Empire was not destroyed by the Medes. :laugh: :laugh:

You are also saying that Idumea was also not destroyed?:laugh: :laugh:

Good ole dipsie hermenutics.

10 It shall not be quenched night or day;
    Its smoke shall ascend forever.

Forever? Will this fire still burn in the New Earth?

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

This should be good. I'm getting my pop corn ready. :applause:

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Places are destroyed. Places are rebuilt. But when the Bible says it will never be inhabited again, I understand that to mean it will not be rebuilt again. So this passage is talking about the final destruction of Babylon, as is also recorded in Revelation.

Feel free to ignore a literal interpretation. I don't feel free to do so. Unless I see an obvious reason to approach it otherwise, I assume it is literal.

But I'd rather not argue about it, especially with someone with your attitude. Tell you what. If, in our lifetime, the sun DOES go dark, and the moon turns to the color of blood, and the stars fall from heaven and the Lord appears in glory, then we'll both be caught up together in the air. I'll accept your apology on the way up. ;)

#23 npetreley, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  4. skypair

skypair Active Member

And then Dr. Rogers takes the "locusts" in Rev to be demons. There's a lot of interpretation that needs to be made.

skypair

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, I can tell eschatology isn't you cup of tea so I guess I'll be movin' on.

skypair

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

So Isaiah 13 is not talking about the destruction of the Babylonian Empire at the hands of the Medes? Despite the fact that a “literal” reading says it is a prophecy against Babylon(vs. 1) and God uses the Medes(vs. 17) to fulfill it.

So I guess it is just a major coincidence that around 539BC the Medes came and destroyed Babylon. So in your literalistic futuristic view, who are these future Medes?

Literal? Futurists don’t take the Bible anymore literal than preterist. Lets just take the verse in question:

Act 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

What is the “literal” interpretation of “this is that”?

What is the literal interpretation of “shortly come to pass”?

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

What is the literal interpretation of “time is at hand”?

Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Shall I continue?

In the mean time I’ll wait on yours.