1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is John McCarthur a Calvinist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bronconagurski, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

My post is not talking about what I know. it is talking about what you obviously DON'T know.

It is not exalting my knowledge. It is rebuking your lack if it.

That does not make me a know it all- at all.

It purports that you don't enough to speak intelligently on this subject.

That fact still stands no matter how many times I read the OP.

You have to ask if someone is a Calvinist because they say something that MILLIONS of Calvinists- perhaps HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of Calvinists have believed spanning a period of about FIVE HUNDRED YEARS.

And it is not the ASKING that is the problem. That is a noble gesture.

It is the preaching you do after asking while not knowing something you should know before you preach on it.

2. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Well why don't you explain where I went wrong instead of just running your mouth? I have yet to hear why I am wrong. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Furthermore, just because you have believed false teaching that has been going on for years doesn't mean that I don't have a point. You can no more prove all the tenets of Calvanism than I can prove there is a man in the moon. I guess it never occurred to you that you are the ignorant one. Thus, my assertion of your arrogance stands. And you are right hateful about it as well.

Let me recap what I believe. MacArthur said God wants all men to be saved. I agree. He then says that God is not to blame for man's unbelief. I agree with that. He then asserts that man rejects God. I agree. What he doesn't say and where most Calvanists go wrong is that God only wants certain people to get saved and calls only those men to salvation. I am saying that is hypocritical, and you can't have it both ways. God either wants all men to be saved or he doesn't. If He does, and His will is never thwarted, then all men should be saved, but they are not. The fact that you can't get around is that God calls all men to salvation by the word of God and the Holy Spirit, but some men reject God. If men can reject God, they can accept Him by the power of the Holy Spirit. I have seen men under conviction reject God. I have seen others under conviction accept Him. So, yes, no one would be saved without the Holy Spirit wooing, but you can't deny that the scripture tells us to not quench the Spirit. Now if irrestible grace is true, then there would be no need for that admonition.

#82 Bronconagurski, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bronconagurski

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Awww, so you are willing to read Romans 9-11 from a 'corporate' perspective? Good, now take that same method and apply it to your interpretation of Romans 9.

But, even I affirm along with many Calvinists that nations are made up of individuals. So, if God bound all over to disobedience, how can that not mean every individual? You don't believe every individual has been bound? The point is that every individual who has been bound are also shown mercy. To interpret this passage to mean that God bounds all men over to disobedience (i.e. Original Sin), but preselects some to show mercy, is clearly unfounded. The POINT is that God's hardening/cutting off is for the purpose of showing mercy. He has bound the Gentiles (made of up of individuals) and Jews (made up of individuals). Why? So as to show them ALL mercy...not "so as to show a preselected number mercy."

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It's a good argument, Skandelon- as I expect from you.

I have an answer for it that I will get to shortly.

But I wish you would take this skill demonstrated here whereby you faithfully handle the Scripture and correct the error of Van and Winman.

I KNOW that you know that many of the things they say from the Scripture is ABSOLUTELY BOGUS and HORRIFIC HERMENEUTICS.

I KNOW it because you do the opposite of what they do.

They are not helping your side by representing your side as dumb or Pelagian.

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Quicken

Wrong thread

#86 psalms109:31, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you and I look forward to it...

I barely have the time when I come here to engage the discussions I've already started. I really don't feel like wading through every other posters responses and correcting their nuanced views. And to be fair, I don't expect you to do so with Icon, Aaron, JesusFan or the other Calvinists who clearly don't agree with you on every point. I haven't seen you take on Jhb and his infralapsarianism, yet, for example.

However, you can ask Winman and Van and they'll be the first to tell you that I have openly expressed my disagreement with them on several points. I have to elect which posts I will address and you of all people should understand that. :)

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is it wrong to have the lord to make the decisions in salvation? would he do betetr at deciding the right way to go than leaving it up to sinners like us?

9. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    indeed, all those whom have been chosen in Christ will have Eternal Life!