1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is knowing Jesus as the Son of God a requirement to have eternal life or not?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

the thief had hung on the cross along with Jesus and heard all the accusations;
    And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest [it] in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

More then that he understood that one had to receive Him as Lord and not simply Saviour something some today just cannot understand.
    And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

His kingdom and Lord shows that he understood and no one ever gets saved by simply accepting Him as Saviour. They must receive as Lord.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right. We need to be careful about demanding exactly how much one has to understand in order to be saved. This is a slippery slope.

No one can be saved apart from Christ. He is the only Way. But how much people must know about him in order for him to save them is not as clear, is it?

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I agree with the last statement. Lordship is necessary for salvation. That does not mean perfection but an acknowledge meant and surrender to his Lordship.

Regardless of how much one knows about Him they must yield to him to be saved.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is exactly what the scripture teaches. We are not required to overcome our sin to be saved, but we are required to make the conscience and deliberate surrender to the One who is given to be over us. That is accepting Jesus as Lord (repentance).

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Jehovah's Witnesses that I've spoken to believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins and that we need to come to Him for salvation. Does that make them saved? Remember - they absolutely believe that He's NOT God.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No, but but that error alone does not keep them lost either because they do confess Him as the Son although not with the same meaning that we have. They are lost because they hold to a works salvation. They believe that He died to pay for their sins IF they do works of righteousness and overcome their sins. They are in essence working for His offer of salvation.

#46 freeatlast, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A JW confessing Christ as the Son of God, but not as deity does keep them lost. They put their faith in a prophet, a mere man. That is not the Son of God of the Bible, hence they believe in a false god.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This has the makings of a good discussion.

Are you saying that one must affirm the deity of Christ, that he is the eternal Logos in order to be saved.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Deity, yes as that is how anyone from Adam to present has been saved..."eternal logos" I would not expect of a lost person or a babe in Christ for that matter.

In other words, as a believer I'm a "son of God". If someone puts their faith in me they will be quite disappointed on judgement day. That is how the JW views Jesus.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do they have to understand that Jesus is eternal? That he is not a created being?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes as humans and angels are mortal and created.

12. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

This scripture was to clarify to Amy G. what kind of gods we are, not to O.P.

#52 psalms109:31, Nov 24, 2010
  13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The Early Church Fathers struggled on this matter before the Nicaean Creed of 325 AD.

Many felt that Jesus was begotten of the essence of the Father- that essence itself being eternal but the real personhood of Christ not necessarily so. Would you condemn them to hell?

What else do sinners have to know about Jesus to be saved? How comprehensive is the list?

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Wow, you argue against what you call Lordship salvation and replace it with this stuff. How about some scripture to back this up.

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Ah! that makes it clearer - thanks! But looking again at Amy G.'s post, it seems to me she was talking about the fact that Jesus Christ is God and Man, not about us being gods. I am sure she will correct me if I am wrong on that.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You need Scripture showing humans and angels are created?!?!? You need Scripture that we can put our faith in the created?!?!? Really no business questioning anybody's theology....

17. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Perspective

I was looking at totally different then, I think you are right. After talking to certain people who think they are God, I am kind of leary.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They never denied His divinity, in fact they believed He was eternal, but the purpose was to correct false teaching about Jesus' divinity while drawing the line in the sand so to speak.
    You tell me. How little can they know, or what false view of Him can they know and still be saved?

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

As long as they believe he is divine then, that's enough, right?

I think the Scripture is clear. A sinner must repent trusting in Christ as Lord to be saved.

#59 Luke2427, Nov 24, 2010
  20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No false view, but the bible says all that is needed is to come to repentance towards God and faith in the LORD (not saviour) Jesus Christ. While He is Saviour only accepting Him as that does not get one saved. So the person can be told that Jesus is Lord,the Son of God who died in their place for their sins, they need to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus and if they accept that they are saved. No prayer, no works, no baptism, no deep biblical knowledge, No Trinitarian knowledge needed. That will come later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.