1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Lordship Salvation (LS) A Logical...?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Dec 8, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Is Lordship Salvation (LS) a logical outworking of Calvinism?

2. AQ seems to think that LS is dependent on the Perseverance of the saints:

3. Of all the places to begin to show a link between LS and Calvinism, I find this one to be rather strange.

4. "The same conclusions incorporated into P are applied in LS." If this is the case, then every Baptist who believes in the biblical doctrine of OSAS, should espouse LS. But this is not the case. What happened Q?

5. I find your premise to be rather weak.

2. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Well let me take up the challenge and see if my initial response has some weight. Frankly I summoned the response rather casually and quickly so if it lacks weight, then let that be a lesson learned for me to be more thorough in answering such significant matters.

On the other hand, if through discovery I reveal the validity of the strong connection, then the thumbs up will be in order (and do not fret, if no one gives me the thumbs up it has been resentfully pointed out that I am all too happy to reward myself with such iconic platitudes :laugh: ). Give me the next 24 hours to work on it. My lovely and I have dinner and a movie this evening and tomorrow after worship I am sure I can invest more time.

In the mean time, while I still have a few minutes, I will begin processing some thoughts and engage in some discovery to see if my theological instinct was reasonably on target.

#2 Alex Quackenbush, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Enjoy your time with your significant other and looking forward to your well-reasoned response.

#3 TCGreek, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  4. Alex Quackenbush

Well, from John MacArthur (Perseverance) the following is stated:

John MacArthur, the most significant proponent of LS (he calls it a pejorative description) equates it to the doctrine of perseverance. I'd say that this recognition, coming from his own lips and connecting how he teaches the gospel to be "nothing other than the doctrine of perseverance" is rather weighty regarding the connection between the two.

But to be sure, MacArthur refers in direct contrast in this treatment of perseverance, to that which is antithetical to his position; that being what he labels "radical easy-believism".

Thanks John and hey I still have half an hour before the movie!

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I understand where JM is coming from, but we need not confuse the results of that initial reception of salvation by its results, in the process of sanctification.

Even, Lou says that saving faith has active results.

2. In this respect, I agree with JM, but not with the initial reception of salvation---so I see the link to perseverance.

6. Alex Quackenbush

And I to think I imagined my discovery taking until tomorrow. Oh well, now I have The Angelic Conflict...conflict...to resolve. :laugh:

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But, the LS has been moved from the initial reception of salvation to the end of the matter---this is to me a whole new animal.

8. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Something I learned about this whole debate was how sharply the division line is between LS and non-LS was related to the differences between Reformed or Calvinistic Theology and Dispensationalism.
    Apparantly some have seen the dispensational understanding of God's covenants as being unconditional being related to a lack of covenantal obligation with regard to salvation.
    I can provide a quote from Gentry's book, but it's lengthy and I'm lazy.
    :)
    Obviously, MacArthur along with a few others would be dispensational and LS, but that is apparantly not the norm for the LS side.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

MacArthur is not dispensational; he is a historic premil.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    and
    I'll give you a :thumbs: for finding the quote so quickly and for quoting him fully and in context. Well done.
    peace to you:praying:

11. Isaiah40:28

His church's doctrinal statement reads like dispensationalism as opposed to historic premil.
    It teaches a pre-trib rapture and a distinction between Israel and the church.
    Is that historic premil?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    J.M. calls himself a leaky Dispensationalist .

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Historic premil keeps Israel separate from the church.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Only in jest, Rippon. :thumbs:

15. Alex Quackenbush

MacArthur uses dispensational schematics but does not identify with the body and movement of "Dispensationalists" that has developed over the last 50 years, so I am certain that using the description of "Dispensationalist" in describing MacArthur would include too many views he does retain in his theological teachings.

16. Isaiah40:28

And does it teach a pre-trib rapture as well?
    I thought that they have a different timing for the rapture than dispensationalists.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

MacArthur is pretrib, and if you do a study of Dispensational premil, you will see why MacArthur doesn't fit.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compared to traditional Dispensationalism and traditional Covenant theology, Mac falls waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to the dispensational side. His commentaries and study Bible show this clearly, and most of us reformed types who are militantly anti-covenanters join to give Mac an "amen".

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, he believes in a pre-trib rapture in the same manner as other dispensationalists.
    Just as there are different groups of Calvinists there are different groups with regard toward dispensational theology. Many like the Charismatic groups on TV have taken beyond the biblical understanding and study into the twilight zone. Yet, unfortunately it is the minority who is typically used by other views to bash that view and proclaim THIS is what they ALL believe when in fact it is not close in most cases.

I taught a verse by verse through Rev (took a little over a year and are about to finish up soon) for our Wed Night bible study group and the main person I used as both a guide and study check is J. MacAuthur. I agree with 95 to 97% of his view and is what I have been taught as a Non-Cal in church and studied in School.