1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is lying ever good?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Apr 10, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So where was the sacrifice? I don't see where any sacrifice actually took place. If no sacrifice took place, not only was the truth not told, but deception had occured...which further hits home with the OP.

#21 webdog, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  2. His Blood Spoke My Name

Read it in context.

It is not those who are in God's will that are being given the lying spirit, nor that God is sending strong delusions to. It is those who will have nothing to do with Him.

God's people are not to lie.

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Ok, I thought you were against God and man lying or using lies. You say that it is alright if God sends delusions and lying spirits to His enemies?

A nation's diplomats must lie. Something the free press should learn to do.

I would agree with you but for circumstances.

john.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An honorable lie?

"Remember, God holds us accountable for our words and actions."
    It’s still a lie but the intentions were honorable.
    It’s walking a fine and very dangerous line.

Consider Rahab. God honored her actions.

But the woman [Rahab] had taken the two men and hidden them. And she said, “True, the men came to me, but I did not know where they were from.
    And when the gate was about to be closed at dark, the men went out. I do not know where the men went. Pursue them quickly, for you will overtake them.”
    But she had brought them up to the roof and hid them with the stalks of flax that she had laid in order on the roof.
    So the men pursued after them on the way to the Jordan as far as the fords. And the gate was shut as soon as the pursuers had gone out.
    Before the men lay down, she came up to them on the roof
    and said to the men, “I know that the Lord has given you the land, and that the fear of you has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away before you.
    Joshua 2:4-9 (ESV)

And the city and all that is within it shall be devoted to the Lord for destruction. Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall live, because she hid the messengers whom we sent.
    Joshua 6:17 (ESV)

By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies.
    Hebrews 11:31 (ESV)

And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? (bolding added)
    James 2:25 (ESV)

In the past physicians might hide a terminal diagnosis from a patient to “save” the patient from the awful news.

Now a-days doctors usually provide full disclosure knowing that truth is better than deception.

I’d bet that for every honorable lie, there are millions of dishonorable lies.

Rob

#24 Deacon, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm glad this topic is being discussed because I've had the same questions as Webdog. There are plenty of times in Scripture when God's people lied.
    Remember Abraham asked Sarah to lie and say she was his sister? Even though she was his half sister, he was still lying, since his intention was to deceive. Even though it was Abraham who lied, God plagued Pharaoh with "great plagues".

Genesis 12
    12 Therefore it will happen, when the Egyptians see you, that they will say, 'This is his wife'; and they will kill me, but they will let you live. 13 Please say you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that *I may live because of you."
    14 So it was, when Abram came into Egypt, that the Egyptians saw the woman, that she was very beautiful. 15 The princes of Pharaoh also saw her and commended her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken to Pharaoh's house. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake. He had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male and female servants, female donkeys, and camels.
    17 But the Lord plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram's wife. 18 And Pharaoh called Abram and said, "What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, 'She is my sister'? I might have taken her as my wife. Now therefore, here is your wife; take her and go your way." 20 So Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him; and they sent him away, with his wife and all that he had.

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Would it ever be wrong to lie when answering this question?

Does this dress make me look fat? :laugh:

7. His Blood Spoke My Name

There is no such thing as an honorable lie. When one lies, one is not honoring God with one's lips.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

NO! That is never wrong! You are a smart man!:laugh: :laugh:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If it is, I'm asking for forgiveness :D

10. His Blood Spoke My Name

Man can try to justify any sin by pointing to another and saying, 'He did it, so it must be ok.'

But God commands us to put sin from us.

Hebrews 12:1 (KJV) Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

This one should make it plain that we are not to lie even to protect another person or ourselves...

Revelation 21:27 (KJV) And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither [whatsoever] worketh abomination, or [maketh] a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Those who lie will not enter into God's Kingdom. plain and simple.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Still waiting on when the sacrifice took place in 1 Samuel 16...

12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess Abraham didn't make it into the Kingdom...

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Did Esther lie about who she was?

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

That would be a conscience issue.

Rahab lied her way into the Kingdom did she not?

john.

15. His Blood Spoke My Name

Those who think that it is ok to lie, go ahead and lie. It is not the Kingdom of God that will welcome those who think they can lie without judgmetn.

16. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Lying is definitely justified in certain circumstances for a greater good. Also, tact and diplomacy often involves not being brutally honest in order to not hurt someone's feelings and end up being a jerk.

17. His Blood Spoke My Name

I would rather tell the truth and look like a jerk in front of man than tell lies and end up in hell.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bump for HBSMN...

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Wait, If you tell a lie you will end up in hell?

While not a good thing Peter did, I have not heard anybody say he will be in hell.

20. His Blood Spoke My Name

The Scripture clearly says, 'And call Jesse to the sacrifice.' There was a sacrifice. God intended one to be given at that time. Just because 1 Samuel does not record when exactly that sacrifice happened does not mean God told Samuel to lie.