1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Mel Gibson insane?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by vaspers, Feb 18, 2004.

1. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Pray for this Mel Gibson, because his possibly morbid fascination with the medical aspects of Christ's suffering, beatings, scouraging, crucifixion may indicate Mel is sadly suffering himself. A dementia related to self-loathing. We must appreciate what Jesus suffered for all mankind, yes. Dwell on it graphically, when Hollywood and video games and mass entertainment already focuses on violence a lot? No thanks. The Passion may glorify the pain and cruelty inflicted on Jesus, and downplay the victory of Jesus over death in His resurrection. And it may cause trouble for Jewish people worldwide.

2. drp737

drp737 New Member

I still don't see how this could cause the Jewish people to suffer. Yes many people will see this as blaming the Jewish people for the death of a good man, but the people that would take it to anti-semetic extremes are the people that wouldn't watch the movie in the first place or if they did wouldn't catch the importance of the death of Christ. However, I have been praying for this movie to be used by God to bring others to Christ and I think it may do so. It's like Easter sunday passion plays done in churches all over the Bible belt every year. I don't know if they are prevalent in other parts of the country or not. All I know is that every year my church's passion play touches me and if I don't think about what God has done for me enough throughout the year, at least once a year I do. I am a bit upset that he didn't add something about the resurrection, but I think it could be better without it. Forcing others to believe that Jesus was indeed resurrected should not be the reason for the movie. It should just make people interested in thinking about whether or not they believe it themselves. If millions began to believe in Christ's resurrection because they saw it in a movie it would be meaningless, compared to if a few actually stopped to think about it and chose to believe. I also do not think Mel is crazy. Actually, enlightened individuals are usually seen as crazy. I think that God has used him through several of his later movies and I think that God is using this movie as well.

3. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I think it's mentally ill to focus obsessively, graphically, excessively on the violent aspects of the crucifixion...and ignore the beautiful, victorious, saving aspects of the Resurrection. Even secular people enjoy the positive message of Easter, but they will be disgusted and upset if the violence of the crucifixion are hammered away at on a big screen. Violence freaks will love this weird film. Pray for Mel, that he will repent of this awful depiction of the half-gospel.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Vaspers, it appears to me it is YOU who is overly obsessed with the morbidity of the whole topic. You're practically avoiding the idea that the Bible discusses over and over and over Christ's sufferring, shedding blood, his torture, and his sacrifice.

Do you think that Jesus shedding his blood for you is just a figure of speech. No, he did it, quite literally, quite gruesomely, quite painfully, and quite grotesquely. Get used to it. Accept it. And be truly thankful for it. Don't take it for granted.

5. vaspers

vaspers New Member

And...His resurrection. That's Romans 10:9 "and believe that God has raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Why is the graphic depiction of brutality so shrugged off? I want to appreciate the suffering, but does that mean I have to watch it depicted on a big screen? Where does it say in the Bible we are to re-enact this episode and focus on it? I am deeply suspicious of graphic depiction violence of any sort, even in the name of "spreading the gospel."

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it doesn't. Is someone trying to force you to go see it?

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I think I'll pray for you instead. You seem to have some sort of obsession about this.

Throughout history, the church has seen the importance of the Passion (Greek: "pascho", which means suffering). The last few decades, especially in evangelical circles, the Passion has been really downplayed, with more emphasis put on the "prettier" resurrection. However, scripture is abundantly clear on the importance and seriousness of Christ's suffering, and many Christians (and all the world) need to be reminded of it. Jesus didn't just waltz to Golgotha and say "ho hum, let's get this over with". Yes, the resurrection is vitally important, but many Christians today have a false, "not-so-bad" concept of the Passion, and I think a movie like this is very much needed to wake us up to better appreciate what Christ went through - for us. The blood of Jesus is *immensely* important to Christian faith, and the blood of Christ is mentioned approximately 50 times in the New Testament. Blood. Ick. Messy. Pain. Violence. Death. Yet entirely central to Christianity. Would we rather eliminate and avoid this aspect of our faith, because it's not pretty? The movie isn't graphically violent for the sake of appealing to violence freaks. The movie is graphically violent because the historical events were graphically violent, and absolutely crucial and precious to the Christian faith.

I'm reluctant to see the movie, not because of excessive violence, but because I'm afraid I will break down and weep hysterically in the theatre, in profound awe and gratitude for what my Saviour went through for me.

God bless Mel Gibson for making this film. I pray this movie will be the catalyst for revival within the church, and provide a multitude of opportunites to bring sinners home to Jesus.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The death of Jesus was an ugly, ugly thing. It doesn't need to be sugar-coated nor ignored.

The whole point of the movie is that WE, or should I just focus on ME, deserved to die that way.

The pain and bloody agony that He suffered for you and me is what makes the resurrection from the dead so miraculous and important.

It's ALL important:

His supernatural birth...
    His beautiful life...
    His humble sacrifice...
    His violent and horrible death...
    and His glorious resurrection.

Show me how you can have the gospel of Jesus without one of these parts?

The portrayal of the death should be an eye-opener and a convicting message to haughty and unchallenged Christians (like myself).

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    <><

9. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

And when you make your movie, you can focus upon what aspects of the gospel you choose. In the meantime ... where is that "shut up" graemlin when you need it??? [​IMG]

As has been noted, if you choose not to see it -- don't. But stop pretending we all have to live in the same world of bondage in which you choose to dwell.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to see a similar movie on the nativity. The names Mary would have been called. The filth of a stable. The abject poverty.

We live in a "sterile" world. Showing how it really was helps us to understand what "humanity" is all about.

11. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"I think it's mentally ill to focus obsessively, graphically, excessively on the violent aspects of the crucifixion...and ignore the beautiful, victorious, saving aspects of the Resurrection. Even secular people enjoy the positive message of Easter, but they will be disgusted and upset if the violence of the crucifixion are hammered away at on a big screen. Violence freaks will love this weird film. Pray for Mel, that he will repent of this awful depiction of the half-gospel."

Your posts do not flatter your intellagence. Gibson is hardly "obsessed" as you seem to be with the graphic nature of the Passion events. Christ suffered in reality beyond comprahension. This movie tries to capture that suffering so we as Christians can appreciate it in a way we never could before. The Gospel is brutal. Increadibly brutal. Dying for the sins of the world isn't a fun journey. Christ became "the lamb of God". Lambs were sacraficed in the Old Testament for sin. That is something that we need to allow to impact us as Christians. His resurrection was not the payment for our sins, it was his suffering and death.

If you don't want to see it, don't.

Gibson, as a believer, has given us a great and wonderful gift. And in doing so has made himself vunerable to persecution and attack.

My favorite to Mel quotes are:
    I'm a believer and
    Read the Gospels, Diane! It's all in there.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes IMO Mel (one of my favorite actors) suffers from what quite a few Catholics are inflicted with, unrequitted guilt. Being a former Catholic I know all about it. I went to confession/communion every week, sometimes several times a week, I made the Stations of the Cross every week, said rosaries, Novenas, etc...

Guilt is never satisfied by religious exercises, only the Blood of Christ applied to the soul can remove it forever.

Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

HankD

13. Forever settled in heaven

i wonder which Gospel he had in mind.

the Gospel According to Emmerich?

14. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

That was a low-blow FSiH. Did you see the interview? He, naturally as a believer in Christ with faith only in Christ as his savior, pointed to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

The media right now is trying trying to paint as horrible of a light as they can on Mel. The media and the world HATE the good news of Christ!

15. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Hank, I feel guilt every time I sin, and I'm saved. I realize everytime I sin I still am commanded to go to confession on my knees.

If we don't feel guilt for sin...something is really wrong.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No doubt, but it is via guilt over past sins that allows me to break free from them and not repeat them. The difference is, I'm no longer a slave to sin, or guilt for that matter, via Christ Jesus.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Technically speaking what you feel as a believer is godly sorrow for sin. If you still feel guilt that is because you are a babe in Christ or a young or carnal Christian.

Yes, Mel is probably a babe in Christ. This is about as far as a Catholic can go.
    He is a creative genius no doubt, but that wont sanctify him.
    If he keeps reading the Word of God the truth will set him free as I was set free and he will leave the Church of Rome.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

HankD

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And if he doesn't he'll still be a babe in Christ.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course!

HankD

20. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Joe Stowell of Moody said an hour into the movie he wanted to leave. Many Christians and unbelievers will not go to this movie for various reasons. At prayer meeting tonight my pastor enthusiastically asked if I was going with the church on Feb 29 and I said no, and gave my reasons. I removed from the church the 15 posters I created promoting the film. I refrained from going out with the Junior High youth group to put promo door hangers on doors, and explained to the Youth Pastor why I cannot support the film or any promo of it. He graciously understood and appreciated my honest stand. A few others are also abstaining from this film. Our "No Go" opinions are being honored and I respect their "Gonna Go" opinions also. This issue should not ruin our unity as the Body of Christ.