1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Mel still Catholic?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ps104_33, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Catholics believe we are the Church too. The church is all the believers, not just the ones on earth but all the ones who have gone before us...the whole "communion of saints". We are all one body with Jesus Christ as the head. The church is me as a member, and all the other members, the priests, the clergy, the bishops, and the Pope as the vicar of Christ, with Christ as the head. The church on earth is full of the wheat and the chaff. Jesus promised to sort it all out at the end.

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Sorry, but many of your sola scripturist brothers would disagree even on this point.

Many of thenm would tell you that the church is a called out assembly. How can you have an assembly that doesn't assemble?

They would disagree with you. There is no universal church - just local assemblies.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

With due respect, I'm curious why this is your stand. How long have you been a baptist?
    To put in bluntly, my religious past is none of anyone's business. A few folks on this board have attempted to use my religious past to discredit ot belittle me. I've been called "not a real Baptist", and "not a true Christian". What I choose to share from my past is a matter of testimony, not discussion.

Since as i understand your post it seems you know few spirit filled baptists compared to "spirit filled catholics"?
    I didn't say that. I said there are probably fewer spirit filled baptists than we want to admit, and more spirit filled catholics than we will acknowlege.

I just feel sad that you don't know many spirit filled baptists as i know.
    I know many. You're reading something into my post that I didn't say.

I don't know of any spirit filled true catholics.
    Oh, well, if you don't know any, there must not be any. Perhaps they simply don't meet your definition of spirit filled.

Since most of them deny the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Salvation by way of the grace of Jesus Christ is a fundamental teaching in Catholicism.

If you find distasteful that your brethren is engage in presenting the truth i find more distasteful that you appear to be siding with the enemy of the truth.
    Since, as you say, you do not know me, nor do you know my circumstances, I find it even more distasteful that you appear to have proven my previous post regarding the abundance ot RCC bashing on this board.

I still fail to understand your forsaking the Roman Catholic Church.
    I don't owe you an explanation. For the record, I have nothing against the Amish, the Presbyterians, or the Methodists, either, and I have attended their churches as well. I suppose I should be against them as well, since it appears that your view is, if you're a Baptist, you must be against all other denominations. I have news for you my friend, Baptist churches are imperfect humanly created institutions, just like all the rest. They have no exclusive claim to Christianity. My church right now is the best avenue I've found for me to express my faith in Christ. If you don't like it, take it up with Christ, not me. I work to serve him, not you.

It still seems to be where you want to be in your heart.
    My heart belongs to Jesus. It has never belonged to a specific denomination.

( there I go again. reading hearts )
    More like judging them.

If you have no problems with their doctrine and their enthusiasm for what they believe, I am begging you, go back to where you belong. I could better deal with you.
    How dare you. At least you're admitting that you're trying to "deal" with me. In other words, you're looking for an arguement. Like a shark circling the surface of the water waiting for potential prey to drop in.

You are bad for the cause for TRUTH. You are a typical jellyfish of a moderate who stands for nothing and falls for anything!
    I'll take being called a jellyfish over being a shark who eats its own kind. Jellyfish sting, but only when necessary!!! Even Solomon was a moderate (see the story of two mothers who laid claim to the same child) and God was pleased with his judgement. So I must be in good company.

4. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

I'm sorry if i misunderstood
    what you have posted. Thanks for clearing your statement.

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

The day I "come home to Rome" is the day I leave Christ...and I'll never do that.

Mike

6. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

This is the reason why i asked you "how long have you been a baptist". If you are new, maybe i can understand your position.

I feel sad that you can't not discern the true doctrine of Catholicism with regards to Salvation. Catholicism teaches salvation by grace through sacraments. This is another gospel, and as christian we should not support them otherwise we would be partakers of their sins. The bible warns us concerning false teachers.

Galatians
    1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

2John
    1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 1:11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

I'm not for bashing, as much as possible i want to lead others to the truth. I do not agree to those who use sarcasm and other negative remarks when somebody don't agree with them. However we have responsibility to reprove them in a gentle manner.

Ephesians
    5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them

7. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I just want to say, Johnv is a Christ-like Christian. It is a sad to me that he is being called names here, but I'm also sure he is not going to lose any sleep over it.

God Bless

8. Armando

Armando New Member

To all catholics like me:

Never heard this one before. Have anyone heard this before or our brother just doesn't know what catholics really beleive?

9. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I don't agree with that! Just go read the Soul Liberty thread and you will see that I defend the idea of the universal church. [​IMG]

Neal

10. Glen Seeker

Glen Seeker New Member

Armando,

It must be true. Many Protestants who post here believe it.

Unfortunately, I for one, have never encountered this teaching in the RCC. I must be an ignorant Catholic. I mean, I believe that we are saved through grace which comes from God alone. He, in the person of Jesus, gave us the Sacraments that we might have an increase of grace in our lives and stay steadfast in our walk with Him.

11. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

My guess is that Johnv left the Romanism for personal reasons rather than doctrine. Just reading his posts show that he isnt rock solid in any doctrine or any denomination. He just a dead fish that floats downstream because it is the easy road and is more concerned with being liked than the truth. As you can see I dont have that problem.

Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. luke 6:26

These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage. Jude 1:16

12. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Reading hearts again, Psalm?

Shame on you.

13. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

PS:

Boy, "Faith Alone" sure doesn't mean faith alone does it? Maybe all those people who say the simple prayer of faith and think they are "saved" don't know thay also have to meet the criteria you guys set for who is really a "Christian".

You could have a person who thinks their faith in Jesus Christ is going to save them, and not know they are a dead fish going down stream. Somehow I think you guys are missing the boat. Johnv seems to know Christ.

God Bless

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I feel sad that you can't not discern the true doctrine of Catholicism with regards to Salvation. Catholicism teaches salvation by grace through sacraments.

Sorry, this just ain't so. Participation in the sacraments have nothing to do with salvation. It seems the Catholics on this board know that, yet you think you know the inside-out of the RCC better than they.

My guess is that Johnv left the Romanism for personal reasons rather than doctrine.
    You made my earlier point: If I left a Presbyterian church to become a Baptist, would you be saying that? Probably not.

Just reading his posts show that he isnt rock solid in any doctrine or any denomination.
    :confused: I guess all those times I've said "as a member of a Baptist congregation, I'm bound to adhere to the Baptist distinctives as matters of practice". If that ain't rock solid, I don't know what is.

He just a dead fish that floats downstream because it is the easy road and is more concerned with being liked than the truth.
    On the contrary, it's often difficult to voice my views in the midst of occaisional hyperfundamentalism.

As you can see I dont have that problem.
    :rolleyes:

15. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Is the production of "The Passion" by Mel Gibson in Aramaic and Latin without subtitles a subtle attempt to return the Roman Catholic Church to the Latin rite? Is he attempting to show a spiritual communication that transcends language barriers?

16. LaRae

LaRae Guest

According to the interview I saw with Mel about this movie ...NO.

Mel said that he wanted evrything to be as realistic as possible, language included. Jesus didn't speak with an American or Brittish accent and he doubted He had blue eyes...or spoke English. In fact he said some of the movie is being cut out because it's just too much realism and most people wouldn't be able to handle it mentally....speaking of the scourging etc.

LaRae

17. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

John, with respect I must challenge the ascertion you make here.

Being an ex-catholic I still have a copy of my Cofraternity Bible complete with Catholic Doctrinal guide, from which I quote:

Habitual grace is a supernatural quality, intrinsically and permanently inhering in the soul, by which we are made friends of God, adopted sons and co-heirs with Christ.

Habitual grace is also called sanctifying grace for it confers holiness and changes the sinner into the friend of God.

Sanctifying grace is lost through mortal sin; it is preserved and increased through prayer and works done under the influence of God, AND BY MEANS OF THE SACRAMENTS DULY RECIEVED.

End of Quote.

You simply cannot ascert that the sacraments (or, for that matter, works) play NO part in salvation according to catholic doctrine.

God Bless

Enda

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Enda, the issue doesn't appear to be one of salvation through works, but whether works/sacraments guarantees that salvation is kept. In other words, that appears to be a debate more along the lines of whether or not the RCC believed in a "once-saved-always-saved" doctrine or not.

I mean no disrespect to you, however.

19. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

John,

That seems right but it doesn't just say that sanctifying grace is preserved (kept) through prayer, works, and sacraments duly recieved. It goes further by saying that it is increased.

That's where I have a problem.

God Bless

Enda

20. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Enda,
    Are you a native of Ireland or are you a missionary working over there? The reason I am asking is that would you agree that Catholicism in Ireland is alot different than that which is practiced in America? Catholicism in places like Ireland and South America seem alot more superstitious.