1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is military service always a plus?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Sep 8, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

When it comes to politics is all military service equal? I think the Republican Party has a definite edge when it comes to the military but when I saw that Joe Biden’s son was scheduled to deploy to Iraq in October I thought that was great. To have 3 of our four candidates with children in a combat zone has to be a good thing, even if only one has military service.

But then I learned that Beau Biden is the attorney general for the state of Delaware. As a captain in the Delaware National Guard he is a captain in the jag corps. Now I am not saying that his service is less than honorable, I am glad he is serving his country, but a captain in the jag corps is just not the same as a trigger pulling PFC in an infantry battalion.

Many people on the right side of the political spectrum tried to discredit Al Gore’s military service as a reporter or John Kerry’s because his tour was cut short. On the left side many criticized George Bush’s service in the Texas Air National Guard because it kept him from service in Viet Nam.

When I was in the military we knew there were “Real Solders” and there were what we called “REMFs”, and we knew the difference.

So my question to you is this, while I would consider all military service honorable is it all equal? At what point can military service turn from an asset to a liability?

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Not all military service necessarily always involves the same degree of danger or risk.

People from all points of the political spectrum will gladly point this out--especially when it's about a person or group of people who do not share their particular view(s) on things.

If memory serves me correct, President Clinton once indicated that he had served in the military because he was the Commander in Chief of the US military. (I'm just waiting to see if Governor Palin will claim the same since she's the Commander in Chief of the Alaska National Guard!)

Our current Commander in Chief's record of military service leaves a whole lot to be desired as well.

What really bugs me are those able-bodied men who are quick to "Talk the talk" about how much they support the troops but would not for one moment ever consider even "Walking the walk" and actually enlisting in the military. (And that goes for so-called conservatives as well as anyone to the left of them.)

--ktn4eg, (TSG [E-6] Retired)
    USAF: 1964 - 1972
    TN ANG: 1988 - 2005

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I do seem remember him saying that about the Arkansas guard.
    That is exactly what I am getting at, I mean he did actually fly planes with the Texas guard. Yet if that is seen as something he did to get out of overseas service than that plus turns into a negative.

Now plenty of former presidents have military experience (Carter, Bush I), but not all do (Reagan).

It would seem to me that in the case of Bush II and Kerry what should have been a plus of military service turned into a negative.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually President Reagan did have military service
    See this link Seems as though I never heard him talk about it much, if at all.

As far as Bush II, he did serve honarably. If memory serves me correctly, he was released from duty (officers are not discharged) because the aircraft he flew was going out of service, and Bush had too little time to be re-trained to make the training cost effective.
    With Kerry, yes he served in Vietnam. But didnt he say that NIXON sent him into Laos? in '68 - if thats what he said, he was wrong - Nixon did not become Commander in Chief until '69. Also, his wounds - well - and then to take the opportunity to come back to CONUS - and leave his men...

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Cool, I did not know that about Reagan.

Here is a link to a wikipedia article that outlines the military experience of all our presidents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service

Other than Bill Clinton, you have to go back to FDR to find a president without military service, and to FDR’s credit he had served as secretary of the Navy. How many of you knew that Abraham Lincoln served in the militia during the Black Hawk War of 1832?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have served a total of some 23 years - 15 active and 8 years State or Commonwealth time.

Though military service can be a great asset for the POTUS, lack thereof is not an automatic disqualify for me. I like what Glen Beck has said recently - its not the experience you have - it the judgment you have.

John Adams was a great patriot, but never served in the Army. We need patriots, not necessarily military veterans

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

And the legend that persists to this day is that the officer who administered Abraham Lincoln's oath of allegiance to the United States was none other than West Point graduate and future US Secretary of War who was serving in the US Army in that area at that time--Jefferson Davis!