1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is NT Wright "new Pauline Understandings" Strictly Biblical or?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Dec 28, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

is his teaching/theology on the new pauline studies biblical based, or is it more based on trying to intergrate philosophy with his own OT viewpoint as relating to the new Covenant?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Please stop trying to synthesize ideas you don't understand. The term "new Pauline understandings" is neither helpful nor an accurate descriptor of the New Perspectives Movement.

Since I can actually, after some personal exegesis, understand what you're asking I will say this: NT Wright's New Perspectives movement isn't at issue with NT theology or biblical teaching. That's the wrong question. It is a very good discussion about the nature of second Temple Judaistic influences on Pauline theology. From my perspective it has been helpful for contemporary NT theological work.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

isn't he true though that he seeks to base his interpretation of pauline theology nased not upon solely the biblical ttexts, but pours into that basis also the Judaism theology of the era? As if paul merely was "christianizing" those beliefs in the name of jesus, and that we have misunderstood what paul meant by the law and being justified past 2000 years in the Church?