1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Paul more loving than God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

Then your sermons are very short. Folks must love it.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Skand, I gather from your posts that you are an educated man, but don't you see the plank in your own eye you when make these attacks on Calvinism (that have nothing to do with Scripture)? Your attack above could just as easily be turned around on Arminians - why are so few Asians (percentage-wise) Christian? Is it because White people are wiser and smarter than Asians?

Blah, Blah, Blah - we could go in circles on this.

I think you would be better served to keep your arguments against C based on the Scriptural evidence, and avoid these lines of arguments (which have been turned on your beliefs time and time again), because it becomes harder and harder for people to take you seriously.

The bottom line is Scripture - not your conjectures.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul says in I Tim. 1:15 that he is the foremost of all sinners. He doesn't say he used to be the foremost of all sinners. He says he is the foremost of all sinners.

Whatever the greatness of Paul's life as a Christian, he was a fallen man.

To question whether the love of Paul (or any other human being) is greater than the love of Almighty God (who is "Love"), is unseemly on it's face. It is unfair to Paul, and irreverent to God.

peace to you:praying:

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Those of us who believe in free will don't have the same problems with this particular question. We actually believe that the choices people made throughout history to go to certain people groups affects the saturation of the area with the gospel. That is why we would say less Asians have come to faith. There is no circle in that argument.

Many of my passages are scripturally based, but this one was in response to a particular point regarding God not being a respecter of persons (a scripture passage). If God doesn't base his choice on anything regarding the man (like their race) it would seem to reason that their would be a more even distribution of believers among the different races. I know Calvinists don't claim to know WHY God choose certain individuals over others but they seem certain it has nothing to do with the man, thus the purpose is somewhere in God, who clearly saw it within himself better that less Asians are saved. There is nothing wrong with speculating as to why that might be.

Also, it is a very real question to Asians who have lost family members and loved ones. This is the practical side of theology, but sometimes it is easier to stay inside the theoretical bubble of ones own dogma where all the pat answers work and no one dares to question its implications.

#24 Skandelon, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
  5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You assume that Scripture teaches that God loves all men in the sense that he wants to save them all. This is begging the question.

Scripture in context does not at all indicate that.

Do you suppose God ought to love the Devil?

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

No, Arminians don't escape the charge, no matter how much you protest that you do escape it. In Arminian theology, the bottom line hinge of salvation is based on man's response. If certain people groups haven't responded favorably to the Gospel (or the light that God gives beforehand re Romans 1 per Arminians), then it must be some inherent defect in that people group that has amounted to fewer Christians in that group.

Besides, your whole argument is silly to begin with - there are plenty of Asians who are Christians - in fact, millions. Have you heard about the growth of the church in China, for instance? You look at simple percentages, but that's just one way to slice the numbers so you can try to paint Calvinism in the worst possible light.

I am bored with your conjectures at this point. You do much better when you stick to Scriptural argumentation.

#26 Andy T., Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  7. Skandelon

I made no such assumption. First, I asked if Paul's expression of love for the hardened Jews reveals that his love and willingness to sacrifice for their salvation is greater than God's in a Calvinistic system where God clearly "hates" the non-elect?

Secondly, I responded to Grasshoppers assertion that God's choice not to effectually prevent his daughter from going to hell must be reflective of his lack of love for her in comparison to his. I was addressing that presumption by showing that God's will is not to save all without exception, but to save all who believe. Thus, His expression of love for the world and desire for all to come to repentance is genuine even if he doesn't effectually cause it. (Even Calvinists such as John MacArthur affirm this point)

8. Skandelon

Response to what Andy? The gospel, right?

The gospel is not as saturated in Asian nations as it is in others. "How will they believe if they have not heard?" That is my point, which you apparently missed.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I suppose we need to dig deeper here. Question: Why is it that for centuries and centuries, certain people groups were never brought the Gospel (i.e., the dark corners of Africa, Asia, etc)? The typical Arminian answer is that those people who respond to God's light favorably will be given more light, so that the Gospel will be brought to them. Is that your view? Or maybe more fundamentally, what do you believe happens to someone who never hears the Gospel? Are they accountable for their sins?

#29 Andy T., Mar 1, 2011
  10. Skandelon

Disobedience of believers who have clearly been directed to go into all the world and preach to every creature.

Yes, they are accountable for their sins and I believe the scripture indicates they are "without excuse" and will be held accountable to their level of revelation.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, if God didn't predestine her to be "elect" and hates her as He does Esau by withholding love from her, wouldn't any parent of those who end up in hell love their child more than God?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are saying Skan is a "natural man"?!? You do realize questioning the salvation of others is a violation, right...or don't you care?

13. Skandelon

Actually it is a very biblical thing to refer to other believers who can't understand some deep spiritual truths as "natural" or "carnally" minded. In fact, that is what Paul is actually doing in the context of the letter to Corinth that Calvinists like to pluck out of context. Cor 2:14 is in the context of Paul addressing "brethren" who clearly cannot receive the content either, so this is not about lost men's inability to receive the gospel, it is about even believers who are carnally minded not able to understand and accept the "the deep" spiritual things of God. (vs. 10)

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, I agree with that understanding completely...just ask Luke :) He'll be shocked to know I'm not the only human throughout history to state exactly what you just did (what he accused me of on a thread devoted to this particular passage a couple months back).

Earth, Wind and Fire sided with Luke, though, and both of their interpretations were the natural men spoken of in that text were lost. Knowing that I called EWF on the carpet for him using it in describing you.

15. Skandelon

It also brings the passage they always quote out of Romans 8 about the natural man not being able to please God into the light. If even brethren can be "carnal" or "natural" this passage can't be used as a proof text to mean that unbelievers can't believe because that would "please" God. If you have people who've already believed living carnal lives then they too "cannot please God" as long as they continue to live carnally. This has nothing to do with man's ability to live by the spirit once the spirit makes the appeal to be reconciled to God. :thumbsup:

16. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ok, per the quote you provided, it said, "those who respond positively, God gives more knowledge—as He did to the Ethiopian eunuch and the Roman centurion, Cornelius (see Acts 8,10 ). Those who are lost will be judged according to their response to the spiritual light they have received ( Hebrews 4:12-13 )."

Therefore, since so "few" (I wouldn't call millions few, but you do) Asians are Christian, we can only surmise that (a) some of them have heard the Gospel and rejected it, or (b) the rest of them have never heard the Gospel, because they have not "responded positively" to the light God has given them. Therefore, the same essential charge can be laid at your feet: There are fewer Christians in Asia because they are not as smart or wise as whites, since there are far more white Christians (as a percentage of their group) than Asians.

Again, I'm not the one making this argument, since it is all conjecture, but it's the game you tried to play in your OP, a game with which you have failed in your attempt to malign the beliefs of your brothers in Christ.

#36 Andy T., Mar 1, 2011
  17. Skandelon

You left out an option causing your inaccurate conclusion. (c) many [Asians] haven't heard the Gospel and therefore haven't had the opportunity to respond to its very powerful and persuasive truth.

Additionally, I'm not sure you worded option B correctly...I wouldn't say "the rest of them have not "responded positively" to the light God has given them" is the the REASON they haven't heard the gospel. The reason they haven't heard the gospel is because no one has preached it to them due to disobedience of the church. The reason God may judge them differently is because they will be held accountable for the level of revelation they have received.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

But according to your quote, those who respond positively to God's revelation will receive more revelation. If they haven't received more revelation, then we can only conclude that they haven't responded positively to God's initial revelation - i.e., they aren't very smart.

Sorry, it still backfired on you. Again, I suggest you go back to Scripturally-based arguments and apologize for your attempt to unfairly malign the beliefs of your brothers in Christ.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually Scripture says nothing of intelligence, but loving the darkness more than the light.

20. Skandelon

That doesn't necessarily mean the gospel. It just means with more faith in the light given that more will be understood and seen. For example, if I see and accept God's creative power in a sunset, I might later be able to see and accept his divine attribute of kindness in the way a mother hen instinctively protects here chicks. Nothing guarantees the gospel being preached accept that a messenger is sent, he obeys and goes and preaches it. Those are the means God has chosen.

BTW, you can leave out the frail attempts to rebuke me for my views, they presume my position is incorrect and disregard the very purpose for a soteriological debate forum, which is to debate differing views. Plus, it makes you come across in a negative light to those objectively searching for truth on this forum--which doesn't serve your purpose.