1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Physical Death A Form Of God's Chastisement?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jne1611, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

He took Ananias and Sappira life.
    I can't think right now, but there probably is others.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good observation.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Because in those days, many followed for the food, they may have been Christian, then again, they may not have been.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. But you must prove from the context of 1Corinthians that that was the case.

2. Such a blanketed statement would not work.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm hard-pressed to think that Ananias and his wife were not Christians.

2. I know John MacArthur thinks that they were false believers.

3. Until I'm convinced otherwise, I suspend my judgment. You know, the same God who took the lives of those in 1Corinthians 11, is the same God here in Acts 5.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You got a point, except there will be no liars in Heaven.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The only how that I'm going to make it to heaven is because of the never ending fountain of grace that continues to flow and from which I continue to partake.

2. According to Eph.5, Jesus is the one who is going to present the church spotless and blameless to himself, not man.

3. When the Lord returns, How many of us would be sin-free? How many of us would be walking around with an unconfessed sin?

4. It's all of grace! If it weren't for the amazing grace of God, I would have no hope of heaven. Nothing I do, can secure a place for me in heaven.

5. I'm wholly dependent on the grace and mercy of Almighty God.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

No liars would be in heaven. You're right. The blood of Christ would have already cleansed that.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Amen and His Grace is sufficient.

That is why the chastisement the name of this thread and the Advocate. If it were as some say, then there would be no need for this "early" death, would there?

Then why Ananias and Sappira, please tell me why?

#49 Brother Bob, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2007
  10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Wow, I have to say I'm split on this one. For the first year or so after I was saved, I lied. Not a LOT but enough. It was habit. God embarrassed me in my lies every time, and I learned my lesson (there's a real-life case of chastising for you, and it didn't take 1,000 years in hell, either). By the time I had kids, I couldn't even tell them there was a Santa Claus (not that I would have anyway). There was no such thing as an innocent lie to me anymore.

Now -- if God had struck me dead in the first year, someone might have called me a liar, and claimed I must have been a false believer. On the other hand, I couldn't STAY a liar because God corrected me. Where does that put Ananias and Sapphira? Were they liars, or were they simply immature Christians? I have no clue, and I won't pass judgement either way.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

May God continue to Bless you, I love that testimony and its to the Glory of God's Grace and that His Grace really works.

BBob

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm glad I'm not alone in my ignorance. :laugh:

TC, is this one of those tensions in scripture?

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Died while lying to the Holy Ghost. I don't think they were saved, but thats just me.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Npetreley, there was a time that I thought that if I could get my reasoning skills just right. Maybe do a law degree the hone the reasoning skills, so I could understand the Bible better.

2. I thought I could approach the Bible as a logic-machine. You know, just put the facts into an airtight logic-machine and everything would be right.

3. Then I started to understanding the sovereign grace of God, the seminal aspect of Calvinism that would engulg me, and I had no choice but to give up my logic-machine approach to Scripture.

4. The grace of God and how it works defies logic.

5. No sin is going to be in heaven because Christ atoned for them. If God wanted to save Ananias and his wife even though He used them to teach a grave lesson to the church, who am I to challenge God and say that doesn't fit my logic-machine?

6. I love reading John MacArthur, but I think he took the seat of God on that one.

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It sure does! And praise God for that. :)

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Nite...............:sleeping_2:

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amy, until I know more, I cannot say that Ananias and Sapphira were not Christians even in death.

How many Christians would have just committed a sin when Christ would have bursted the clouds with His holy angels at his second coming?

18. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Hello Bro. Bob.
    1.Let me say again. There is to big a difference between being saved & being lost for me to make comparisons between what they do and what we do. And I have never said, become a christian so you can sin. That is a misinterpretation of what I have said.

2. When you say "pay for the sin", if you mean redemption, I say no. I do not believe that we are constantly having our sins payed for in this life as far as our standing with God is concerned. That payment was made by Christ, not us. We are being dealt with as the sons of God when we are chastised, for God's own reasons.

3. I use 1John. 2:8 because it is there to use.
    1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

4. 1 John 2:4 is a good point. It proves that God's people are characterised by obedience. But, you would not try to use this Scripture to say that a Christian can not break one of Christ's commandments would you? Have you ever went over all of Christ's commandments Bro. Bob? You can never keep them all to perfection. The rebuke is going to those who indulge in sin with no problem identifying with Christ. Those who are proud of their sin & love the world & yet claim Christ and to love him as well are liars. But, I do not think you can use this to prove that Christians cannot be disobedient, but that may not be your point. Keep the Scriptures coming. I need to be clearer as to your thinking on this matter.

5. 1John 3:9 I agree with as well. Yet this is not talking about flesh and blood. This is the inward man. "born of God". John is not going to set a standard that will contradict his own statements and the multitudes of other Scriptures that talk of the sins of the Church. That man "inward" that is born of God cannot sin. Yet we are still limited by these fleshly bodies.

#58 jne1611, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2007
  19. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Going by context, there is no doubt about the Corinthians being the children of God.

20. jne1611

jne1611 Member

I am VERY humbled in the honesty of this. This is the point I was making in the post above. Christians have problems, and sins that need work on. None of us in the flesh are perfect. God is continually working out in us what He has already worked in us. That sanctification is progressive & will never be complete till we put on in-corruption. We will die with a sin tainted body if we die before the resurrection. Some Christians are overtaken by sin at times, and if they do not as Paul said "judge themselves" the run the risk of death. It is not a payment for their sin in a saving sense. It just sets them apart form the wicked who can do as they wish with no reproof or correction in their life. Their day is coming in flaming fire.