1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Pink Slime in the Beef at Your Grocery Store?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, are you saying that G. Bush was a leftist. It was one of his apoiintees to the FDA, Joann Smith, who approved it being included in hamburgers for human consumption. When she left the FDA she want to work for the biggest produced of pink slime.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

And yet another example

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is so much misinformation in glfrederick's post I'm going to seek out his "am I clueless" poll.

They don't take meat trimmings off the floor of the processing plant, they don't "wash it in ammonia solution" instead it is exposed to a brief puff of ammonia hydroxide gas, they don't add it to virtually all store and hamburger at fast food stores, it is in up to 70% of hamburger sold in supermarkets whereas McDonald's, Burger King, and Taco Bell discontinued using pink slime in January.

The biggest customer for pink slime? The Department of Agriculture which plans to use it in the national school lunch program. And who is the leading spokesperson for childhood nutrition? Why, that would be Michelle Obama.

#23 InTheLight, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Q. Who is the biggest spokesperson for childhood nutrition?
    A. Michelle Obama

How dare she allow this junk to be put in our school lunches!

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn’t the pink slime help the burgers stay together?

I wouldn’t really worry about eating the stuff, it is still beef (and I like natural casings on my brats – don’t want to think about that either) – not that I’d choose the beef with “extra slime.” What bugs me is that it is sold ad 100% beef (which it is), but you are also paying for “all beef” filler. (Unless it’s only in the cheaper meat, then you’re benefiting from the filler). The worst part of the stuff is probably calling it “pink slime.”

Come on over, glfredrick – I just put some burgers on!

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What's on the menu for today? Pink slime burgers and genetically modified veggies. Yum!

The FDA is our friend. :1_grouphug:

#26 poncho, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ooooh, I see people on here who care about genetically engineered foods.

JOIN US! Do it while you still have this on your mind because there are a lot more problems with our food than just the one this thread addresses.

Here's the link: http://justlabelit.org/take-action/

Sign up for newsletter too. It is quite informative and lets you know what current issues need addressed.

Use your voice. :thumbs:

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does genetically engineered food have to do with this thread?

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

1. Poncho brought it up

2. The entire concept of not being informed of how our food was produced, especially when it may negatively impact our health or be something that we wouldn't dream happened to it before we bought it...that is the idea behind this thread.

Do you know what's in your food? Do you know how it was produced? Do you know if it is safe? Would anyone honestly tell you if it wasn't? Do consumers have the right to know if their food has pink slime in it, if the definition of beef includes noses and hoofs, if the food was genetically modified, if they use artificial sweeteners in place of sugar or honey? (the fake sugar thing is a biggie for me because it is not clearly labelled half the time and makes me violently ill if I get it by accident)

So that's how it relates to this thread. I personally think people have the right to information when it comes to the product they are buying.

I think a few others on this thread also feel that way.

If you're not one of them then just don't worry about it! I saw the opportunity to share and yep, had to jump on it. Come, join us, or your broccoli will start crying!

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Poncho's on my Ignore List I don't see his posts.

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

This is the funniest comment on this whole thread. CTBoy thinks that a pastor's responsibility is to inform people of health decisions. You are a joke CTBoy.

Oh, and if pink slime is in the burger meat I buy? Oh well, tastes yummy. I don't really care what's in it as long as it tastes good! :thumbs:

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

In as far as that we ARE our brother's keeper, we OUGHT to pass on valuable information for wise living. That does not mean that we dictate health options, but as "gospel community" (a concept alien to so many here on this board) we are immersed in the lives of our brothers and sisters, yes, including giving them a sounding board for health issues, as well as other aspects of living as a part of this world. And, don't go all off and equivocate "not of this world" with what I just said, for while that is true in regards to our "citizenship" we do indeed breath the air and eat the food and drink the water of this world on a daily basis.

13. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You go ahead and have your health seminars at your Sunday Coffee Shops. We'll continue to preach about spiritual matters at our churches. :thumbs:

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Okay... Now that you have played the piety card and gotten yourself all self-righteous, I have a question for you...

Does the Bible EVER mention any issues regarding our PHYSICAL health and well-being including foods, drink, physical capacity, etc.?

You may wish to also consider a corollary question; are we to preach the whole counsel of God's Word?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true. The “Gospel community” has in many aspects become a foreign concept (not only on this board, but in Christianity in general). Of course, just about any sense of “community” is somewhat foreign to the American mind.

I doubt that LFTB deserves the level of concerned and reprehension it receives when compared to other food processes, fillers, and treatments. But we should be aware of what we are purchasing and consuming – the problem is that, since LFTB is 100% beef, the consumer has the impression that they are purchasing 100% ground beef instead of the filler.

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Indeed... Let's take the discussion to a new thread.

I've found that the claims (McDonalds for instance) are very carefully worded. ALL of the BEEF they use is 100% pure beef (duh). But what they do not say is that EVERYTHING in their products that contains that 100% beef is ONLY beef. And, additionally, something can be "beef" that NO ONE would ever intentionally purchase or use if they knew what they were purchasing.

As for the pink slime thing, we've been eating as bad or worse for decades every time we eat processed foods, hot dogs, virtually anything in a cafeteria, buffet place, school program, or fast food restaurant.

Anyone else ever wonder how Arby's gets that perfectly consistent "meat product" that has no gristle, fat, etc., that they CALL "roast beef?" I've cooked a boatload of beef roasts in my life and I've never seen one with either that texture or that consistency. It ain't "beef" but it may be made from 100% all beef (that meaning the blood, the skin, the intestines and other internal organs, etc.) all boiled down into a slurry that coagulates and can be sliced onto a sandwich.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm old enough to remember when Arby's was real roast beef. They had a real roast hanging by chains inside a glass oven slowly cooking. When it was done cooking they would remove the roast and put it on a slicing machine. <drool>

I would guess it was sometime in the early 80's where they went to "fake" roast beef.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Or what of the "pre-packaged farts" that are White Castle sliders?

(And, for the record, I picked up that lable for them from a little old blue-haired lady who brought them for the youth group meeting at church on Sunday nights. Just about fell off my chair the first time she said that! :laugh: )

19. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Having looked up what 'pink slime' is, I have to ask how anyone in their right mind can it that stuff.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It the stuff....huh! oh EAT :laugh: ....with mustard of course!