1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Psychology biblical?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by luke1616, Jan 17, 2011.

1. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Popularity does not mean biblical. But thanks Bob for the input.

2. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousnes

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Grace&Truth is correct...Psychology has nothing to do with the Bible. We are told to "study it and rightly divide it"..not internalize it and go searching for truth elsewhere. The Bible is Truth.

What "truth" have you found in psychology that isn't already in the Bible?

Jeremiah 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

Really?
    "All Truth Is God’s Truth"?​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Those who integrate psychology with Christianity declare, "All truth is God’s truth." Under this umbrella statement, they embrace the speculative notions of Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Alfred Adler, Abraham Maslow, Albert Ellis, Carl Rogers, and a host of other psychological theorists, depending upon their own individual biases.

http://http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/truth92.html

Since when did the "theories" of ungodly men such as Freud, Jung, Adler, etc. become "God's Truth"?

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Like I said before some throw the baby out with the bath water. To them psychology is synonymous with the devil.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Psychology is useful. It is an observational tool. Over the years, many observations have been made that have allowed those who study the discipline at a very high level to come to some conclusions about we humans.

But psychology is always a study of sinful humans, and as such it can never truly transcend the true problem of humanity -- our sin.

We don't have to toss out psychology any more than we have to toss out geology or physics. All are sciences that help us to "exegete" the general revelation, creation. But in no case will a inference from observation of the general revelation overtake the truth of the specific revelation.

No need to demonize the sciences. Just realize them for what they are.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All truth is God's truth. Where else would truth come from but the creator? Truth is simply knowledge of reality understood in an appropriate context.

Certainly biases can get us into trouble, but well-educated and thoughtful people (especially those who are led by the Spirit) can discern truth from error and will not wholeheartedly accept every idea that they hear. (Especially since many of the people you name disagree with each other.)

When their theories line up with what we know of truth on the basis of scripture and our experience in this world. The theories that do not line up with scripture and our experience in the world are not God's truth.

6. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

My Favorite Website on this subject....

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Reminds me of "There is a way that seems right to a man, but is not My way." Seems like those who defend this science use alot of language and hardly any scripture that relates. I still do not understand how it crept in, being a foundation clearly from men that had no Godly wisdom. I suppose the same way that some have accepted gay pastors.

8. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

The baby looks like the devil's own child, the bath water looks quite murky lol.

9. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

"Science" is based on that which can be proved. Psychology is not. It is based on the philosophies of men on how to interpert what they have observed. As a Christian my authority is the Word of God (Scripture). When confronted with anything outside of the Bible I must bring it under the spotlight of what God says not what man has observed. I have found that What is referred to as "Christian Psychology" is none other than "Christian" men (or women) yoking together God's Word and Man's Philosophy by trying to interpret it through observations of human reason and philosophy. I for one will rely on God's Word and God's Wisdom only found through Him and His Word.

10. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

Exactly, so why waste our time with it when we already have all of God's Truth for living....its called "The Word of God.":thumbsup:

11. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

Based on this logic, then how can you go to a medical doctor? Medicine is a discipline that is taught extra-biblical. Luke was a medical doctor, but he did not discuss medical procedures in his writings. When new medical procedures are discovered should Christian's shun them?

Additionally, do you drive a car? Cars are not discussed in the Bible, so we should not use them because they are extra-biblical.

Using the logic that we should avoid something just because it is not discussed in the Bible is flawed. To make a blanket statement that psychology has no place is irresponsible and uninformed. One who makes such statements obviously have never dealt with severe problems. In the same way that I would allow my medical doctor to use his knowledge, skills, and medical instruments to treat me, so a Christian counselor would use the tools available to him. Just as in any other matter if part of those tools are contrary to the Bible, then a wise counselor would avoid them.

Any wise teacher uses psychology while teaching (whether the teacher realizes it or not). Jesus as the Master Teacher used psychology based on the principles He was trying to teach at the time.

God has created man with a mind and intelligence and we are to use that intelligence. Many disciplines have been developed by “ungodly” men, but we take that intelligence and use it to glorify God. If we do not we are if fact thumbing our nose at Him who created us.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

If it's true, then it is God's truth. If it's false, then it's nobody's truth at all. I'm a little confused why you would suggest that I'm counting non-truth as being truth. I'm certainly not.

But we can't throw out good, scientific research that is objective. It's not contrary to the Bible, but it develops and elaborates that truth. Throwing out a few cut-and-pasted verses at me isn't going to disprove this.

You listen to sermons, right? Read commentaries?

Those are tools that further elaborate on God's truth.

You probably studied Study Science and Language Arts and Math in school.

Those contain lots of facts that are not discussed in the Bible. Does that make them any less God's truth?

Do you take medicine when you're sick? Aspirin's not in the Bible, but it's helpfulness is found through scientific truth.

Psychology is another one of those disciplines that helps us discover more truth about creation. It helps us find patterns of behavior and how our bodies and our minds meet.

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You completely missed my point.

Just because many of us accept that psychology provides insight into the human condition and believe it can be helpful for us as we work to make people whole, does not mean that we accept everything that Jung, Freud, or anyone else taught.

It's not an "all or nothing" proposition. For the most part, I find Freud to be off-base in most of his major (or at least, popularly known) theories. I find Jung to be much more helpful, but I still have major areas of disagreement. Maslow has some good insights as well, but I take exception to some things he believed.

So that issue is not whether or not Christians should know anything about psychology, but rather, that Christians should know how to discern the genuine insights that psychology offers and reject what is false.

There are some here who seem to believe it is impossible for other Christians to exercise discernment in anything, so they attempt to do it for everyone and issue condemnations against those who may actually trust their own knowledge of the scripture and leadership of the Spirit instead of blanket assertions.

I, for one, have been greatly helped by a counselor who was a Christian (Methodist, I believe) who shared with me insights from psychology in our sessions to help me respond more appropriately to the suicide of a near family member this last year. There were/are significant issues regarding mental illness among members of the family that helped drive the events leading to another family member's death. Because of those sessions, I have more insight into the issues that seem to drive some surviving family members and can respond more appropriately and effectively to those issues in order to minister to them in a Christian way.

14. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Is it possible that there is NO BABY in that bath water?

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

No. The discipline of psychology, regardless of its shortcomings, is very useful. And many of those non-christians you mentioned earlier still made very astute observations about the human condition from which we can learn much.

Again, since all truth is God's truth, originating from the Creator, we don't have to be so skeptical. We just have to recognize what is useful and what is not.

16. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

At best, psychology has always been a guessing game. Shock therapy used to be quite common, until they learned otherwise. They hand out drugs like candy and then later they find that some of those drugs can never cure the sick, then deal with an addiction. If it does any good it is with years and years of therapy. Jesus is not limited and He never guesses or uses trial and error to figure out what works and what does not. Psychology is flesh trying to understand spirit. A very unstable foundation that is not the foundation of Christ. Psychologists are in the top three for occupational suicides. Wonder why. "Philosophies of men rather than the wisdom of God." I still see no scripture to support that psychology is from Jesus.

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can say similar things about the modern medical profession. Do you use doctors? Do you take prescription medication? Do you submit to surgery?

Change is usually very slow because we are mired in destructive habits. Have you noticed that spiritual growth is the same way? Old sin habits die very hard.

So do you pray for healing alone, or do you also submit to medical doctors when you are ill? When my appendix ruptured in 2008, I prayed (and many others prayed for me), but the surgical team and modern antibiotics were the means for God to preserve my physical life. In the same way, God can use individuals who have gained knowledge from the study of psychology.

More accurately, it is careful observation and experience with the reality of the human situation as it is, and careful observation of what it can become. Psychology recognizes the reality of religious commitment and the benefits faith can provide, as well as the destructive force that malevolent/false religion introduces into the human experience.

There are a number of reasons which I could share with you, but I don't think you really want an answer to that question. You're too busy whipping that straw man.

Some psychology is the false philosophy of humankind, not God. Some psychology has latched onto God's truth. It is a mixed bag, although you will not admit it.

I don't recall anyone making the claim that "psychology is from Jesus."

Psychology is a mixed bag, some good, some bad. I don't think that even a professional psychologist would disagree with that.

18. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

"Psychology is a mixed bag, some good, some bad. I don't think that even a professional psychologist would disagree with that."
    There is the clue, a mixed unsure bag. Jesus is never a mixed bag. Put it this way, are you safer just sticking with the bible?

19. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Amen! :thumbsup:

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.