1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Psychology biblical?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by luke1616, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the "other side" has now arrived at the cheer leading and pontificating phase, and has now stopped interacting with those who disagree with their position.

3. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

That's the scripture I was looking for! Thank you Fred's Wife!

#43 luke1616, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  4. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Read it, bookmarked it, thank you. Sandy was a sad case as it was local and she just could not repent.

5. Alive in Christ

6. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Wow, eye opening article!

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is a website that is devoid of any substantial Bible exegesis or credible scholarship. It contains no persuasive arguments. Just a bunch of rambling about their uninformed beliefs.

8. Alive in Christ

You are entitled to your opinion.

I still HIGHLY recommend this ministry to anyone who is considering the humanstic "psychological/psychotheraputic" babble, that is nothing but a counterfiet "solution"..that is currently infiltrating the Body of Christ with the slithering ease of the *snake" that it truly is.

The choice is Gods way, vs the Great Counterfieters way.

And we all know that the Serpent is a master of desquise, dont we?

Dont we?

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Discerment is the key not an all out attack on anything from the modern psychological world.

10. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

So how exactly does this work in actual application? To me this is not just about personal discernment. So I (let's say in this case I am a new, immature believer) go to a "Christian" Psycologist for a problem I am having....how do I (not having a good working knowledge or discernment of the Word of God) know if I am being counseled according to God's Word or not? Ok another situation....Let's say I am a Pastor....a new immature believer comes to me for counsel....do I send him/her to a "Christian" Psycologist, trusting he/she has discerned truth from error. Am I not responsible as a Pastor for the spiritual growth & maturity of my flock based on the Word of God? Will not I as the Pastor have to answer to God for the counsel given to my church member? Why would I endanger them to someone who has mixed Truth with error, trusting they are throwing out the error?

Please explain in your world how you cannot see a problem of mixing truth with error than trying to discern the truth from the error? How is this good or right and please how is this Biblical?

Is it possible to give some examples so I know exactly in what situations you would send someone to a "Christian" Psycologist?

Personally, you might have discernment, you might be spiritually mature, you also might be deceived I don't know...but, I do know what the Word of God says...."What fellowship has light with darkness?

11. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

This response shows that just because you do not understand something, you attack it with worthless arguements. There have been many good questions asked of you and you have not answered them in favor, it seems, for beating a dead horse.

12. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

A poorly documented and worthless website. Nothing but the rantings of less than informed individuals. This site should be avoided at all cost.

#52 RevGKG, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  13. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

We know that the Bible is 100% truth....why integrate that Truth with the "wisdom of men"? (1 Corinthians 2:5)

Psychology may have some "truth" in it, but it is not the Truth of God's Word. Truth mixed with error is still error. A glass of water with 1 drop of arsenic will still kill you. Mixing/integrating psychology (the wisdom of man) with the Bible pollutes God's pure Word.

14. Alive in Christ

We have no business doing that. God forbid.

God gives to us His scriptures, promising us that they contain "all things" pertaining to the living our lives, and living out "godliness", and we turn around and seek out empty meanderings and man made methods, conjured up by unbelieving men who have turned their back on God, some of whom deny His existance.

God help us.

15. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

2 Timothy 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

16. Alive in Christ

Freds wife...

That verse could be paraphrased...

2 Timothy 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto psycho-babble instead.

AiC

17. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Very appropriate!

18. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

Sad that you have to add to Scripture to attempt to prove your point. :BangHead:

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is an obvious misuse of Scripture.

Psychology as a discipline helps us to better understand ourselves and the world around us. There's nothing wrong with this at all. The Bible does not tell us every scientific detail about everything in the world. That's why psychology can be helpful.

Again - all truth is God's truth - it all comes from him. We can find it all over the world around us.

Check out Aquinas's writings on general revelation.

20. Alive in Christ

No adding at all. Its a fair comparison

AiC