1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Rangel Anti-Military?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Martin, Nov 21, 2006.

?
  1. yes

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. no

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a recent news report Charles Rangel said:

"Rep. Charles Rangel, (D) New York: "The draft is an option, we got to find out why do we need troops in the first place."

Why do we need troops? Is he questioning the need for the military? Is this the kind of man the democrats really want in their leadership?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think he's actually anti- military, but their needs and wants are secondary to his own political agenda.

The first time he brought up the draft, it was to purely score points and he voted against his own legislation. Because of that, we'll have to wait and see if he's playing political games now or not.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

He is not asking why do we need a Military, he is asking why is our Military in the Middle East. Why do we need more troops, american son's and daughters to be in this mess. The answer is, loosing is not an option.

4. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Rangel is a rabid racist. He wants university-types drafted rather than those on the low end of socio-economic status. He believes that Congress will vote against a military draft rather than send sons and daughters of affluent families off to war. Then he can proclaim that Congress is racist. He's a nutcase. If a "good idea" popped into his head he would announce that he had been poisoned by the religious right.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's classism, not racism.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Sounds reasonable to me... Us Po folks a chips N if de needs uses hep.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I am trying to figure out how drafting rich college boys (& girls) makes one a rabid racist . . .

I reckon that must indicate that all the college students are of one racial background . . .

;)

8. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Try reading it again, slowly. Connect the sentences. Ask someone to assist you.

Perhaps you'll see that Rangel's rant is supposed to produce just the opposite of the draft (that's no draft, if you need that clarified). He can then jump on all the WASPs in D.C., while protecting his minority from any future call-up of 18 year olds and up.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

LeBuick

Do you have a match? I am trying to heat up the sentence to reveal the hidden & invisible) ink . . .

I keep reading it . . . and while I cannot stand rangel . . . While I would like to call him a rabid racist because he wants the rich kids to serve their country like the rest of us . . . I agree that spoiled rich kids should serve our country.

God bless

Wayne

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes Sir, I's gots some matches. But de's won't do you no good with'im rabies? I hears dem rabies have you down terrible.

Actually, if you read it real slow and remove the periods you'll understand what he said????

Still didn't make sense but I do understood all the words.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

We faled de gradiate exam so's we culd skeep de draft . . .

So's we gotta protec' de rich peeple dat get rich of a us.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Call me a stick in the mud, and many have, but that is not what he said. Maybe that could be what he meant but that is not what he said. I am not willing to give Charles Rangle the benefit of the doubt (like I did w/ Kerry). His plan would actually put more of America's sons in harms way (not daughters since women are not drafted). This man is dangerous and has no place in the United States government leadership. The democratic party leadership needs to make sure this man loses his leadership position. It is bad enough that people like Rangle keep getting elected, why does the democratic leadership want to make things worse by giving him a leadership position? :BangHead:

If Rangle really wants a draft...the government can start with his children and grandchildren. They will be the first to be drafted. I wonder if he would like that suggestion? Probably not.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I'll vote for that . . .

. . . and then who's family do we personally tag second since you want the politics to be so personal?

. . . Having served my time, I appreciate even the politically motivated that encourage the draft to keep the rich pretty boys serving their country instead of just profiteering off of this country.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/473579p-398444c.html

That's his article.

In it he says: "In New York City, the disproportionate burden of service on the poor is dramatic. In 2004, 70% of the volunteers in the city were black or Hispanic, recruited from lower income communities such as East New York, Brooklyn; Long Island City, Queens, and the South Bronx."

This is technically not a lie but the idea he is trying to promote is that the poor as a whole carry a disproportionate burden which is untrue. Over 45% of military service members come from the wealthiest 40% of homes. It is actually "the rich" that are disproportionately represented.

Further, look at what his data actually says. It says that affluent New York liberals aren't carrying their fair share of the service... not that Republican politicians and voters aren't carrying theirs.

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Where did you find those stats? They don't seem to be in the article.

His data didn't distinguish between middle class and wealthy nor between conservative and liberal and moderate.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

70% + 45% . . . . sounds like political mathematics.

And having served in the US Army - I know that African Americans served at higher numbers in the Army than they are proportionate within the general population.

Do they still serve at higher numbers - I no longer know.

But rich pretty boys need to serve.

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The connection is obvious. Rangel wants all young men subject to the draft, because this would even out the burden of defending America.

More white young men can afford to avoid service, because they have other options. Rangel's bill would draw all people into the military. He's doing this because he knows that if influential people (who tend to be white) have to risk their own children, they will be a lot more careful about what foreign wars they will support.

This, whatshisname sees as "racist." It's sort of manipulative, but it's the opposite of racism. Which is why some people call it "racist." Putting white kids at the same risk as other kids seems so. To them.

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes, this is personal. I believe Rangle is dangerous and that he is harming his country. I look forward to the day when Rangle is voted out of office. I pray that this will be the reason the voters of his district will wake up.

==While I find myself having a great deal of sympathy for that statement I can't agree with it since it is not constitutional. It is at odds with the idea of liberty and freedom.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Having dealt with the draft for a purpose we never should have engaged in, I agree with Martin, the draft is extremely personal.

The first thing is that our troops defending our freedom and entitled to and expect competent leadership from the top, and do not have it. The next thing is, active duty people need to be in the proper number to execute a war. Reserves and National Guard were never meant to carry to main burden of a war, and when they do, only temporary. Something is extremely backwards and wrong about the numbers.

And finally, one must determine if what we are doing is in the interests of the United States, to the extent of American deaths.

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A military draft is by far the poorer choice to an all volunteer military. If you draft people, you get people with various attitudes, mostly negative. If it is voluntary, you get folks that want to be there and probably have good attitudes as to their service.

Rangel is simply trying to tell Congress that if we continue in our war like ways, we'll end up drafting the sons and daughters of their own constituents. And that is not fun for a politico.