1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Ray Comfort Wrong In WOTH?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you continually show you are talking about something you do not udnerstand.

He doesn't need too.

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Because God can use other methods to bring the elect to salvation besides the 10 commandments as he is sovereign in salvation. I have books on evangelism written by Reformed whom argue this.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I mean is why would believing that the Law is the only right method exclude one from being a Calvinist? Some do think it is the "best" method...although I suppose this places all convicted of sin apart from the Law as being of God's substandard workmanship...I just don't understand the link of how denying other evangelistic methods excludes one from being a Calvinist.

#23 JonC, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Read the following books

Today's evangelism
    Nothing but the truth

The first book the author elaborates on the DOG and hits on the effectual call of the spirit. He says the law is a good starting point but does not say God is limited to this method.

In the later book Mac argues for the holiness of God and presents a reformed soteriology in that God can bring in the elect via His own methods as long as he grants faith and repentance. The doctrine of election is emphasized.

Compare them to WOTM and see what I mean. I love WOTM and think of it as the best method but it's not the only method.

5. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

You are nothing but a modern day Pharisee. You put so much faith in your books and your school, the very things that have put you in a debt pit you will never get out of, in everything but the Word of God. People just aren't smart enough. Their theology isn't graduate level enough. You are to far above everyone else. Blah blah blah. Do you know what led the Pharisees to condemn themselves by committing the unforgivable sin? Thinking they are so dang smart and putting so much into their man made ways, traditions, and writings.

You rattle on, insult everyone that doesn't bow to you, even your own wife, and never listen to solid, sound, Biblical advice and wander yourself down a very dark path to destruction. You want to go and argue with some woman and tell her she is a heretic... Durham, NC mean anything to you? Do you learn? Can you learn?

[snipped for questioning salvation of a brother. Why on earth would you do that]

#25 ShagNappy, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brother, i prefaced that by he seems to hold to that, and have heard from his own lips on several DVD my church used, that true salvation requires the sinner to place faith in jesus and repent/forsake all of their known sins!

7. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once saved always saved. As well as letting God grow in you. Read John 3:16 as it says it all. Jesus is available to ALL!

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Re-ported.....

#28 convicted1, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excuse me?????????? Why do you harass me with this post and slander me and bear false witness?

You lied at least once and I bolded it. Have you ever had medical problems (dental costs, car repairs) and the like when you were out of a job with no income? Thats what I had. But the good news is that I have no new debts and am paying on all my debts praise God.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not familiar enough with Comfort to determine the doctrine he teaches. If it is “clean up your life so that you can be saved” then I obviously disagree. If, however, it is that salvation yields fruit then I would agree. We do not know the status of another’s salvation based on his/her works (that person may be struggling and it not be externally obvious, that person may be a “backslidden” believer, etc.). I believe that we are to treat the person by the fruit that he/she yields. If the person appears to be unsaved, then love and evangelize that person as if he/she is unsaved. If the person appears to be a believer, then consider that person a brother in Christ. It is not up to us to separate the wheat from the chaff (unbelievers who by all appearance are Christians) nor is it up to us to coddle believers in sin.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeshua1

And He is correct 100%....which sins do you not repent of?

Which sins are okay to keep?

Is being a drunkard a sin....or just a preference?

Is using heroin okay ? as long as you go to church once in a while...we are under grace right???

seems like you have no idea on these topics to post like this.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So he is wrong??? You should give up a few sins ...but keep their favorite ones?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They are venial sins. They are okay Icon. An example of a mortal sin is when you stay away from Confession. That is when you are in trouble. :D

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not a dentist...to get him to actually answer is like pulling a tooth.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What TND said is correct:

This is not just common with Comfort, but with many preachers, Cal and non-Cal alike. "Repent of all your sins and be saved."

Such teaching is not found in the Scriptures. The NT does not command the unregenerate to repent of his sins. As stated, he cannot remember all his sins, much less repent of them. It is an unbiblical concept.

Repentance is not an act of works. Salvation is not of works. Repenting of sins is an act of works. One might repent of certain sins AFTER salvation (1John 1:9).
    Repentance is a change of mind with respect to one's attitude to God.
    Once I was in rebellion to God. Then I repented, that is, I changed my attitude toward God. Having put my faith and trust in Him, I now am submissive to him and not rebellious to Him. My attitude toward Him has been changed 180 degrees. It is a change of mind, a change of direction.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Repentance is a gift of God....period....nothing more...nothing less....a repentless salvation is a salvationless salvation.....

18. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, correct. And as always we remember that God grants repentance. Repentance is an act of grace to man by God.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is a skewed definition and it is wrong--a a wrong interpretation of one text taken out of context and used as a pretext to try and validate a particular point of view.
    Look the word up in a Bible dictionary.
    Look the Greek word up in a Thesaurus. The word does have a meaning.
    If you don't have a meaning for the word and simply say it is a gift then you don't know what you are talking about. You might as well say that the moon is a gift from God and equate it with repentance. You haven't defined either one.

20. thisnumbersdisconnected

The question is, repent of what? Sin, before you can be saved? No way. that's unbiblical.

As DHK said, repentance is a turning away, and "about face" -- the Greek metenaeo was that exact command in the Roman legions. It means to "turn away" from your old life and turn toward God. Change your attitude about Him. End your rebellion and engage in loving Him.