1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Rick Warren ignoring sin in search for 'peace'?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ........McMahon contends that only the biblical gospel can change the heart of man, and that Warren is compromising that by working with people who reject the gospel of Christ. He says that although Pastor Warren claims his life's calling is "to proclaim the gospel truth of salvation in Jesus Christ," it is doubtful that gospel will be proclaimed at the interfaith meeting.........

More Here

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:confused:

Didn't you already start a thread about this? It has already been concluded that this "event" is a political platform for the candidates to speak on troubling issues in the world. It's not a church service. It's not a prayer meeting. You are chasing after something that is not worth chasing.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I did not start a thread on this until now.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know who started it, but there is already a thread on this topic.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I started the thread in the Theology and Bible Study forum, but I don't think most of the people posting realized that this conference is being held on church grounds.

To me, it doesn't matter if it's Rick Warren or Pastor Joe Schmoe in Tinytown, ND. The issue remains: "Is it okay for a pastor to host a political conference (with presidential candidates or not) at the church?"

My thread was not popular as people thought I was just trying to criticize RW, which was not the issue to me at all. I think that overshadowed the fact that this will be happening at the church.

Maybe you or I should start the thread with this topic:

Is it okay to host a political conference on church grounds?

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

RW Ignoring Sin?

Is Rick Warren Ignoring Sin? SURE HE IS !!! You have to to commit the kind of wicked unbiblical compromise he is commiting with this unbiblical P.E.A.C.E. initiative. That is my personal opinion...the following article by NewsWithViews.com columnist Paul Proctor will add a little much needed fuel to the fire. Warren needs to be avoided like the plague. He is one of the prime instruments in our day leading unsuspecting and undiscerning local churches and Christians down the compromised path into the fast-forming One World Church. Tell'em Bro.Paul !

Paul Proctor -- Rick Warren Still Doesn’t Get It

Here's Hoping Everybody Has Their Spiritual Eyes WIDE OPEN.:praying:

Greg Perry Sr.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Amen :thumbs:

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all this time I thought the "church was a body of believers".

Warren's meeting in a building, provided by his congregation.
    It's not holy ground!

I'm sure that the thousands of African orphans and other needy poor that are served by this project won't complain about who provides for them.

What have you done to meet their need?
    RW's doing while your talking.

Rob

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Strange, because the "unbiblical P.E.A.C.E. initiative" sounds exactly what Jesus taught we should be doing.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Rob, this is a political conference. I don't think we can conclude it is a direct source of provision for orphans or needy people.

It's a political conference with presidential candidates at the church.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have a poll going on "should a church host a political conference on church grounds?" on the General Baptist Discussion forum. Please vote if you're Baptist and air your views.

Forget Rick Warren - this has nothing to do with him. The issue is if a church should host a political conference on church grounds. Let me make that clear!

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree we should strive to be at peace with all, if possible (Heb. 12.14), but how does man find true peace? Only through faith in Christ and reconciliation with God. Therefore, we should be more concerned with helping men find real peace - otherwise, earthly peace will do them no good because they are at war with God.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you mix humanism with Christianity God becomes a means rather than and end. To humanist Christians the end is the happiness of man. So now God becomes the means to make man happy. This is the essence of liberal Christianity.

Fundamental, conservative Christianity recognizes that God is the end not the means. God is the reason for happiness not simply the provider of it. Happiness is a focus, glorying or worship of God. Even when we have nothing else. When the Hurricane sweeps away your house and all your belongings is God enough? When you lose your job and everything you have is taken away is God enough? if you are in a tragic car wreck and all you family dies except you is God enough?

God is not our Genie in a bottle. And we need to focus on giving Him all we have with no expectation of anything in return. That is true Christianity.

14. Joe

Joe New Member

There is nothing wrong with what R.W is doing. He has witnessed to more folks than all of us combined so we can't be hypocritical and complain he is not out witnessing 24/7. We seem to overlook this fact in all of the R.W threads.

He has the right to get involved personally, but to hold a political function in the church building makes it appear the whole church is behind him. It is not just a building, it represents a group of people who hold specific beliefs. This is unfair to his congregation whom may not agree with his views, and it borderlines deceitful imo. Not saying this is his deliberate intention, but it could appear that way.

#14 Joe, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  15. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I beg to differ:

The peace Jesus taught, 'that we should be doing', is taking his peace to others (transported in our own Holy Spirit filled temples), and teaching them that Jesus is the peace which they seek. Without him there is no peace. No man can substitute. The devil is the prince of the air and holds sway over the governments of the world.

I'm not judging RW but question his statements in TPDL which imply the study of prophecy is overated, and something to the effect that God is in everything is misleading. The reading of Revelations is promised to be a special blessing. The omnipresence of God does not imply God is 'in' everything (as in the devil or unrighteous deeds) any more than the ominpotence of God means God can make a stone so big he cannot lift. Both statements/questions imply a gnostic attempt to understand God without truely knowing him. Knowledge is not the same as relationship. When the answer to peace is Jesus Christ, then focus on any other is a distraction: I don't care how earnest, or religious, or compassionate, or sincere a person is, it is only in turning our eyes upon Jesus that we find peace.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

After reading PDL twice...I have not seen anything to this effect. Can you supply where in the book you get these messages?

As believers we should be speaking out against abortion, homosexuality...sin in general. Allowing your building to be used so we can garner which candidates support the above, and which do not is spiritually responsible. It's not like he is allowing the support and spread of the above, but to open the eyes of the voters (believer and unbeliever alike) what the candidates stand for.