1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Rock Music the Devil?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by FR7 Baptist, Mar 19, 2010.

?

Is rock music the devil?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2010.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And there is a rock group called Bad Company and they do ruin good morals.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Often times the lyrics are not even understood and it is simply the music itself that is the attraction. Like anything else whether it be politics, religion, music etc we should do a personal investigation before we decide to get to engage in it. If I were you I would stay away from feelings like being an idiot. Look into it more for yourself and search for wisdom. The fact that you are teachable on this means feeling like an idiot is not necessary.

3. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

When I look at a piece of music, I find the lyrics are important in judging acceptability, which I do on a song by song basis, with the rare exception for Ozzy Osbourne type stuff, which I just don't mess with. For example, Alice in Chains has some objectionable songs, and I don't listen to those. There are also a lot of good, meaningful songs like "Rooster", which is about the guitarist's father's experiences in Vietnam. Although, out of the songs you posted, the only one I've ever heard is "The Killer is Me." I just think, in general, each piece of music must stand on its own merits.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What does it mean "I just think"? Why is the word "just" necessary. It is a poor decision to listen to anything a group like this sings. If they are willing to put out lyrics like this why would you associate with them in any way?

5. DaleMcNamee

DaleMcNamee New Member

Is Rock Music the Devil ?

Dear Revmitchell,

You wrote: " Sigh......

1Co 15:33 Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals." (ESV) ".

OK, but you don't need music to be corrupt. " Bad company " can be anywhere,even among Christians ! :eek:

And in my example of my wife's experience in interviewing criminals, everyone who were willing to discuss their crimes admitted that they made their choices based on many reasons too numerous to list. Not to mention being around criminal relatives. There are grandmothers,mothers,aunts, sisters, whole families in the prison. Again, it wasn't the music...

Why is the idea of a corrupt nature & heart so hard to grasp ?

Or is blaming rock music much easier and more comforting ?

It's not comforting when one sees the corruption within and reads the words of Scripture that condemn it.

I'm not excusing the content of rock music,but I think that it's given too much " power " in this arguement. I don't " have to listen " or am forced to.
    It is a choice.

Besides, I never heard the songs whose lyrics you posted.

BTW, I listen to Brazilian music,Latin Jazz, African & Middle Eastern music, Classical, Classical,Jazz,Rock Fusion, Progressive Rock, Contemporary Christian Music and play in my church's Contemporary Worship Music ensemble.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being the new guy I will cover this once with you. If you are going to engage me make sure you represent what I actually say not what you want to read into it. I am very plain spoken and mean only what I say...nothing more.

Now if you would like an actual repsonse from me to you on this subject go back and reread what I said.

#26 Revmitchell, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Make sure you don't watch a movie from any major film studio, regardless of the content of the individual movie. Why would you want to watch anything from a group that puts out trash in movies like they do?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree..............

9. matt wade

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1246964&postcount=142

Second Hand Lions, distributed by New Line Cinema. New Line is responsible for titles such as Austin Powers, Friday the 13th, House Party, National Lampoon, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Sex and the City.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1248019&postcount=143

Quigley Down Under, distributed by MGM. MGM is responsible for titles such as Halloween, Basic Instinct, and Barbershop.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1453547&postcount=169

Terms of Endearment, distributed by Paramount Pictures. Paramount is responsible for titles such as Pootie Tang, Jackass: The Movie, Beverly Hills Cop, Wayne's World, and Eddie Murphy Raw.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you don't like what I said but how old are those movies? Just because I have seen movies in the past does not mean that I need to support the makers now. And just because I quoted a line from an old movie does not mean I need to support the entire industry now.

11. matt wade

Second Hand Lions was made in 2003. Just about every movie I listed from New Line Cinema was made well before that. So, you should have known the history of the movie group.

I guess it's do as you say, not as you do?

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

In case you didn't know it we are in 2010. And if you had compared a record label to a film distributor you would have had a legitimate comparison. However I was talking about neither. Anyway I do not watch anything by Eddie Murphy or many of those others you listed that are distributed.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Music is an area where legalism and tradition often cause people to say unBiblical things. Rock music is not of the devil. Anyone who says it is, is adding to Scripture. The Bible never addresses music style. Nor does the Bible say that we must only listen to "Christian" music or avoid music with a strong beat. Those type of rules are clearly unBiblical. It is my opinion that we should view music the same way we view anything else in our lives. If a song contains inappropriate content we should avoid it. simple enough? I think so. After all, that is how we determine what shows to watch and what websites to visit. Why can't such a common sense, and very Biblical, approach be used when it comes to music?

Personally, I like classical music much more than any modern music. I am generally not a fan of Christian "pop" "rock" (CCM) music. Southern gospel is good (when it sticks to Scripture). I love the old hymns, mainly ones that can be played loudly on a pipe organ. The more the floor vibrates to the deeper notes, the better. I remember back in 1992, before I was a Christian, I saw Def Leppard in concert at the Dean Smith Center (Chapel Hill). During one song the bass player hit a note several times and the entire building vibrated. O, I loved it! I like BIG music and nothing does BIG music better than an old fashion pipe organ. I could sit in an old church and listen to one of those things being played for hours. I'm probably one of only a few people who will ride down the road listening to classical music and hymns played on pipe organs (sometimes the cd player gets a bit too loud :laugh:). I still listen to some secular music. Def Leppard and Bon Jovi have some great songs in their catalog. As does Journey and Meatloaf. However you will usually find me listening to some form of classical music or orchestras.

14. matt wade

Shall I break it down to the actors in the films you talked about? How about the director? Maybe the screen play writers? I guarantee that from each of the movies listed earlier (that you've watched) I can make the same points with actors, directors, and screen play writers.

I never said you watched Eddie Murphy (though he does have some funny movies that are clean). My point is that you are condemning people for listening to "clean" songs by a group, just because the same group has "trashy" songs. You do the same thing with movies. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't do the same thing with movies. You are trying to read into something to make a point you cannot prove. Anything I may have watched in the past (even if your comparison was legitimate) does not mean I watch now today. And if you were to make a comparison of director, actor etc. then you have lost the point of your original post.

16. matt wade

Well, if you've changed your movie watching habits within the past 2 years, then yes you are correct the point is moot. You sure are missing some good movies though!

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'm sure they can be entertaining.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

I've read up a good bit on Layne Staley, the front man for AiC for years and years.

His terrible decline and death does remind us of what can happen without the presence of God in one's life.

The death of any non-believer is tragic...how Staley died, and the utter hopelessness that surrounded him, should remind us all to never hide that "light" God has given us, but let it be held up for all to see.

19. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I've read up on him as well. It's a really sad story and a prime example of why you shouldn't do drugs. He was basically a recluse from 1996 until his death in 2002, and his drug addiction prevented the band from touring after 1993 in spite of having two back to back number one records in 1994 and 1995. To be fair, the whole band was messed up at one point, but they were all able to get clean and get it together except Staley. After Staley's death, the band broke up, but the three surviving members reunited in 2005 for a benefit concert for tsunami relief in Indonesia. One thing led to another, and in 2006 they added William DuVall to play rhythm guitar and sing Staley's old parts and released their new album last year.

20. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Cant really be answerd with a clear yes or no.

Do you mean secular rock or christian rock?

Secular rock? Sometimes it is, and other times it isnt.

Christian rock? No, of course not.

#40 Alive in Christ, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010