1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Ron Paul actually a Baptist?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Is Ron Paul a Baptist? Who cares, and why does it matter?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because he calls himself a baptist. But then again he calls himself a Republican when he is really a Libertarian. At least he is consistent!

Salty

yesterday I went into the garage, so I guess I can call myself a car:laugh:

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When has Ron Paul ever called himself a Baptist? Do you have any proof? Every place I have checked other than the one link you provided do not list him as a Baptist but simply as a Protestant.

There are a number of libertarians who are Republicans. I wish they would leave that wretched party but that is their choice to make.

#23 KenH, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John was a baptiser which is why he is called John the Baptist. Baptist is just another denomination, with a set of theologies which they hold fast to.

If John the baptiser is the definition of a "Baptist" then all calling themselves Baptist must be baptising folks with water.

Maybe this is why they are called Baptist as a group, because as a denomination they emphasis water baptism. Not that each member actually personally performs the cerimony on others.

God Bless! :thumbs:

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, there is no such thing as a "Baptist denomination". One of the main beliefs of Baptists is the automonty of the local church.
    In addition there are some 100 Baptist groups with a wide range of theologies - some of which are in direct contrast with other groups. And believe it or not some Baptist groups do not require immersion.

Its not that Baptists puts an emphasis water baptism (actually - so do Catholics - they just don't use as much). The Bible REQUIRES immersion.

So back to Ron Paul, I wonder if he has been properly baptized. If not, then he is NOT a Baptist, like he claims he is.
    Mind you I am not concern whether or not he is a Baptist, just don't call your self a Baptist if you are not one.
    Likewise, I have no problem with Mitt becoming President just because he is a Mormon. I trust he would become a Christian. In the POTUS I want a man who will uphold the Constitution of the US while protecting us.

Salty

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

From my orgianal link:
    "According to Benton, Paul feels the "greatest affinity right now" with the Baptist denomination and identifies himself as a Baptist, though he is not a formal member of a local church. In the past, Paul has identified himself simply as "Protestant" but is now saying "as a matter of "clarification" that he is a Baptist, according to Benton "

I suppose the bottom line is who do you believe. But like you said, what difference does it make

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Thanks. I hadn't seen that.

It's like the situation where most people who identify themselves as a Democrat or as a Republican are not formal members of the party(paying dues, donating money or time, attending meetings).

10. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Well, my dad is Methodist since childhood and attends the church where he joined in membership back then: So, without doubt, denominationally wise, he is a Methodist. My mom, however, grew up and accepted Christ in her childhood at a 'missionary Baptist Church' which is now SBA. Until daddy recently started going to church (had a visit from 'his' pastor who was cleaning out the none supporting cobwebs that seem to exist on the rolls only....but never went to church unless it was homecoming) Mother continued her membership affiliated with a local Baptist church. I believe she has now identified her membership with the Methodist Church which they both now attend.......... but her beliefs are still Baptist. If Baptist is a denomination then membership is probably the deciding factor....... but if Baptist is identifying with a set of beliefs regarding the relationship between God and man and the authority of the Scriptures, as accepted in th e 'Baptist' tradition..... perhaps a person may identify their beliefs as 'baptist' whether or not they are a member of a local Baptist Church.

One makes of it what they will: I'm more concerned with a persons' understanding of their relationship with God and with others than the particular denomination to which they are a member. Consistancy in how their life reflects values in setting priorities, making decisions, and taking action..... is far more relevant, imo, than the church they attend, or the one they 'belong to'.

--------------------
    As to whether Ron Paul is a Republican or not: This is my opinion fwiw: In the 50's I heard the talk of family members who were 'good ole' fashioned southern Democrats' discussing how 'the party' was leaving country and values behind, and were switching to Republican. As a teen ager, I identified with Republicans, as from all appearances, that party represented conservatism and values including the civil rights of individuals, and restriction on government and liberallity towards individual and business innovation and enterprise.

I see both parties now as being so similar in what they actually do as opposed to what they traditionally stood for....... and both going the way of globalism, I now look more to the individual and how he or she seems to express himself in his words, plans, and actions. I think our country is still a great country, but its leadership from both parties has us in foul shape: Whoever is elected will carry that burden of either trying to lead us closer to the ideal held by our founders, and individual responsibility, recognition and representation, or continue on the path of compromising our liberties and negotiating away our prosperity with alliances with business, international bankers, the United Nations, and raising global interest above our own. Both parties are supposed to represent the interest of the people, but as a whole both parties now do a very good job of representing the special interest and monies which help them into office without recognition and responsiveness to the voters who put them there. Ron Paul, represents to me, the ideal of what both Republican and Democrat USED TO STAND for, imo, in the most important way----the basics of leadership upon our Constitution. So whether I'm Republican or Democrat, its not a matter of whether I left the party...... but rather at sometime along the way both parties have left me.

But if one really wants to see who the globalist are.... in both parties, follow the crowd and the popularity of the media and see who is getting the most positive attention and the influence of big money: For the most part it looks like the races are narrowed down to Clinton and Obama, or Romney and Huckabee. Ron Paul does stand a chance IF people can recognize they have a choice not to be swayed by media isolation and popularity contest. Can he do all that he says he'd like to ...... I doubt seriously that he can.... BUT his presidency would be a wake up call to all political parties regarding the power of the vote, the voice of the people, and the correction many complain that they've wanted but have had no one to lead the way.

In a comment made to a Columbia University class on Nov. 12, 1963,

Ten days before his assassination, President John Fitzgerald Kennedy allegedly said:

"The high office of the President has been used to foment a plot to destroy the American's freedom and before I leave office, I must inform the citizen of this plight."

As mentioned above: JFK was dead 10 days later. Had he lived, Vietnam might have ended sooner......and many things might have been different.....especially regarding the debt, internaltional banking, our involvement in the affairs of other countries, both overtly and covertly.

God is sovereign in all things, and truly nothing we do will alter by hastening or preventing His timing in the affairs of men and what will happen to our nation and to this world: But we do bear responsibility for the choices we make and the master we choose to serve; whether we are complacent or resistant to the evil which is coming. Only one man can save us and that is the God Man Christ Jesus. No person we elect can do more than God enables, and we are disobedient to the Holy Word if we put our trust in any man.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, Ken do you have that right!!! Here in NY (and most States probably) when you register you fill in what party you are & bingo you are a member. Several years ago, several Democrats changed their party affiliation to the Conservative Party in the town of Van Buren. They did it to take control of the town party - and it worked. For the next two years the town "Conservative Party" endorsed all Democrats. Normally, the Conservative Party endorses the Republicans, though not always. Often the additional votes a Republican gets from the Conservative and/or Independence Party can mean winning the election. (NY has the fusion ballot)
    Bottom line, I don't like the fact you make a check mark on your voter registration and bingo you can dictate party policy.
    The only thing worse is States who have open primaries.

Salty

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course in red states where a Democrat politician has little chance of election, ambitious liberals politicians often morph into the political beast known as the RINO, Republican in Name Only.

RonPaul says he is a believer, attends his daughter's Baptist church several times a year and agrees with Baptist principles (exactly what is unclear). What is keeping him from taking the plunge?

13. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "groups"

We call them "denominations" here in Pa. :wavey:

14. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

You say that like Ron Paul is trying to be something he's not. The way I see it, he is being honest, if that's what he said. He, unlike other canidiates states what he feels and believes and not what the people want to hear.

Ever hear him talk about State rights, and Iraq and other topics which may not be the "popular" stance, but it's what he believes in.

First of all it doesn't matter what religion he is... Second, we would have to hammer out what defines one as a Baptist to be able to even talk about this more, and then based on what we all decide then we can see if he fits into our mold.

I for one am glad he knows God and believes in Jesus Chirst vers the other end of the scale.

Jamie

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Thats like calling Penna a State, when it is not. Pa is a commonwealth!:thumbs:

Most people call Baptist groups a denomination, but they are actually incorrect. I tend to be very specific. Thus the term "groups"

Denomination basically refers to a "higher headquarters" Baptist groups have no such authority over local autonomous churches. The purpose of conventions and association is to work and fellowship togther.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I will either vote for Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee. What amazes me is Christians on this board rake Ron Paul over the coals, when he shows clear evidence of honesty and a heart for the American people. Then they turn right around and tell in post after post how they are supporting the self indulgent pigs like Romney and Giuliani. They are also the same ones that call Bush a conservative.

17. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

This is strange isn't it? I can understand a republican supporting someone like Huckabee instead of Paul, but the disgust some here show toward Paul is amazing! You would think he was running for the democratic nomination.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The main cause is lack of common sense and inability to discern character.

19. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

You would think he was running for the Nazi nomination to mandate forced abortions!

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Terms such as Conservative and liberal are variable

Compared to Hillary, Bush is more conservative.
    Compared to Reagan, Bush is more liberal

I do not like polls that ask are you satisfied / dissatisfied with (whoever)

If I were a pollster, I would ask people to grade a politician on a scale of 1 -100. I would probably give Bush a B-. Overall, I am please with his performance, but there are some things I am in total disagreement with.