1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Satan defeated?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Sep 6, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Is it biblically correct to say Satan is a defeated enemy? What does defeated mean? If he is defeated why does he still cause trouble and why does he still attack christians? Isn't his kingdom of darkness very real and tangible?
    Then how can he be defeated? :confused:
    Some christians make fun of Satan and say how pathetic he is and what a loser he is but I don't think that this is very smart.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

What a great question. In finality Satan is a defeated foe, but in our present reality if we are trying to battle Satan in our flesh we will be defeated. The battle is the Lord's, which means the Lord is the only one capable of winning the battle. So if we want to have the experience of victory in the hear and now we are going to have to die to self and allow God to fight the battle on our behalf.

Hope that helps some.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Satan is defeated, but just as with Saul after he had been "dethroned", he's still on the throne and is the king of this present age.

4. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

No he is not defeated. He is the God of this world.

But he will be ultimately defeated in the future.

And let us not get into issue of God and god. The Greek does not have upper case. The upper and lower case applied to the english bible is tradition of men.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bingo!!

Satan's defeat is at the level of the book of Job - in that grand universal council - he has lost the argument.

But as Peter said HE STILL goes about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. Paul says that we should put on the FULL armor of God so that HAVING DONE EVERYTHING we may STAND FIRM for OUR WARFARE is NOT against flesh and blood... Eph 6.

In Christ,

Bob

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

And how do you put on the armor of God? Is this armor real or only a metaphor?

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Satan is defeated in that his power over those who have faith in Christ is crushed. Believers are no longer slaves to sin - they sin, but are able to resist it if they so desire. Of course, believers are not totally redeemed, so we do still sin but it is not the same as before becoming a believer.

Satan's ultimate end is sure - he only "rules" in the sense that God allows him to, and for God's own purposes.

Just as the redemption of a believer is in stages (saved from wrath, saved from the power of sin, saved from the presence of sin) so Satan's defeat is in stages.

The language in the passage for putting on the armor is a metaphor - we dont' literally put on helmets and swords, etc. But they all relate to faith, assurance of salvation, and to God's word.

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But if the armor is not real then how is it supposed to protect you?
    How do you "put on" assurance of salvation? By reading a bible verse about being saved? How do you practically use the armor if it's not real?
    Can you name me a situation where it makes a difference wether you are "wearing" the armor or not?

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Wearing the armor, imo, is a metaphor for the believer's daily walk with the Lord and dependence on Him totally. The Lord is the protector.

One can be without armor by ignoring God's word, by depending on himself, by sinning, by disobeying God.

Only a believer can "wear" the armor - an unbeliever is not equipped to do so.

I write about this in Ch. 17 of my book just released, SpellBound: The Paranormal Seduction of Today's Kids (Cook/Life Journey).

Info on my book
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_SpellBound.htm

10. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I like the book cover. :smilewinkgrin:

I actually thought that the armor is something you put on which actively protects you. For example when I wear a helmet and somebody throws a stone at my head then the helmet protects me.
    Let's say I go to the Jesus seminary and all these people throw every argument they have at me and I'm started to become really confused and my head starts to race then how exactly does the armor of God help me in this situation?
    Because I don't understand how this is supposed to work.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks!

You will be vulnerable if you do not study and learn God's word. In Eph 6, God's word is a sword. No soldier stands well without his sword, sharpened and at the ready. And this is assuming you are a believer.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

AMEN!

:jesus: is Lord, and He is our protector.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not long ago my family and I made friends with a man come to Christ in an evangelistic series. His life to that point was purely pagan - drunken brawling, cursing and partying having nothing to do with God and knowing almost nothing about the Bible - but he knew it existed.

His wife accused him of being afraid to go to a church meeting - so he went. His life was turned around and he wanted to serve Christ, but he had so little understanding of where things are in the Bible - he could not tell you OT from NT. His friends at the "factory" took note of the new change and proceeded to let him "have it". They were after all - his old drinking buddies.

His instinct was "to punch someone for Jesus".

Their instinct was "to make him do it - make him curse then deride him for being a fake".

When he came to the meetings one night he was truly a beaten man. He confided to me that inside the meeting he felt great - but when he stepped out those doors it was a whole different fight and he was on the losing end.

We decided as a family after that meeting to gather around him and pray over him the Eph 6 armor of God. For two weeks he said that the enemy was beaten back and he was given a chance to stand up and follow God without hinderance. When the enemy did come back he was a stronger more steadfast Christian having grown in Christ during that time of relief. He still had struggles but that was a lesson about the "reality" of the Armor of God in "real life".

In Christ

Bob

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

There was a battle in Mobile AL in 1865 ("Fort Blakely," I believe?)--a pretty big civil war skirmish between union and confederate troops.

Only one problem: there had been a Confederate surrender at Appomattox hours earlier. But word had not reached the troops, so they fought as if the war's outcome were still in doubt.

Battles continued for a while--losses were inflicted, but the surrender was a done deal.

Anyone see a parallel?

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Satan was defeated at the cross. But not in any way related to his ability to tempt, torment and harass sinful mankind. If anything he is stronger in his ability to practice his craft.

Paul argues that we must "suit up" and then "having done everything" we will "stand firm".

Peter says he is like a great lion going out to hunt and kill.