1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Singleness A Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Oct 2, 2005.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Alexander

Unfortunately, 21 - 23 was when I SHOULD have married and did not 'have the sence God gave a goose' ...

The average age for marriage now is 28 - 31 ...

And it is climbing.

We are now expecting men and women to live the most productive years of their lives as singles ... and the period of the most temptation as singles without the protector that God made woman to be.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What idiot decided that the early 20's are the "most productive years"????

I'm 39. My life is just barely half over. I happen to think that the late 30's to early 40's are the most productive years of life.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

In responce to their question, Paul was saying that it was better for them to remain single.

Today, when so many women are led of God to a deeper dedication to His ministry, why do we think that we should not be leading COUPLES upon the journey with God?

Our problem is unequally yoking those that are called to be single with those that are commanded to be married. We are not trying to further the Kingdom, we are only reacting to what has already happened.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

John

Just call me an idiot then.

I pray that someday soon, God might bring you down to my level ...

;)

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Bwaa, haa, haaa!!!!!

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

John

My respect for you just went up. ;)

At least you didn't out right call me an idiot.

[​IMG]

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think this is a good day [​IMG] I should probably quite whilst I'm ahead.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Quiet?
    Quite?

OHHH

Quit ... ?

;)

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That California accent is always difficult to read ...

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oops, I KNEW I should have quitted ;) while I was ahead.

11. Songbird

Songbird New Member

So, was I living a sinful life since I didn't get married until I was 39? If it had been God's will for me I would have married sooner--but the right person hadn't come along when I was in my 20's. And I'm a much better wife in my 40's than I ever would have been in my 20's. And no, I was pursuing a career in my 20's. I graduated Bible College when I was 22 and was seeking God's will for my life--including marriage.

I had to look at it this way. I am not an animal so I should be able to control myself--afterall isn't temperance (self-control) part of the Fruit of the Spirit?

So, no "singleness" is not the sin. Allowing yourself to fall (or dive I should say) into fornication is the sin.

12. Songbird

Songbird New Member

That should have been "No, I wasn't pursuing a career in my 20's."

Sorry!

13. hopefullyhelping

hopefullyhelping New Member

I would think that a bigger sin would be to marry just for the sake of being married. That would lead to misery if you are not with the right person. Celibacy over misery.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

mmm ... I hear that alot ... and most of the people that are happy when they say that, are married.

Most of the singles say that and they are: busy; stressed out; lonely; and for the most part unhappy.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I hear many Christian women say that they CANNOT find any good Christian guys.

Wonder what the guys say ... mmm ... about the same thing ...

Sounds like men and women have problems communicating long before they get married ...

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There really are not many sold out to Christ anywhere one looks. Compare what Jesus taught to today's preaching and practical obedience in the churches. Josh McDowell wrote a book Right From Wrong and claimed that 25% of the youth in our churches were sleeping with each other.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Songbird- What's wrong with pursuing a career in your 20's?

El Guero - What's wrong with a single person being busy?

18. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Nothing is wrong w/it. In my case, I wasn't putting off marriage to pursue a career. It just wasn't God's timing for me to get married. I went to Bible College to pursue ministry training. I wanted to go onto the mission field or work in a church.

Some on this thread were making it sound like that if you weren't getting married in your 20's you must have been pursuing a career otherwise you would have gotten married.

I didn't always relish my single years, but I wasn't stressed out and lonely. Life is what you make. I had time to hang out w/friends and do a lot of things at church.

I believe for me, I had to learn to be content as a single person, b-4 being a married person. Marriage doesn't mean instant happiness. I am responsible for my happiness, not my dh. I had to learn that before I could get married.

Paul even said single people have more time to devote to the Lord. They aren't busy thinking how they can please their mates.

Like I said, this is MY case. It may be different for others. But I have agree I'd rather be a happy single person than a miserable married person. Fortunately, I found a mate that is a Godly man and treats me like gold--and I strive to make his day easier as well--and that makes me happy! lol

19. hopefullyhelping

hopefullyhelping New Member

I am with Songbird on this one being single does not equal selfish, career minded or lonely. It is sometimes a choice because we are happier that way, sometimes it is simply we have not met the right person.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I must agree here. I can find no scripture requirement for finding the right one "as soon as possible". Paul wasn't exactly 21, and he had no problem with the fact that he was single.