1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Singleness A Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Oct 2, 2005.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Martin,

This scripture implies that a man has a wife ... as if a woman is born to be a man's wife ... and a man is born to be a woman's husband.

I don't know that I think it is a mandate for ALL, but it has got to be close ...

2. kubel

kubel New Member

1Co 7:6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
    1Co 7:7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
    1Co 7:8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
    1Co 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

All of chapter seven discusses whether it is right or not to marry. Paul basically is saying that if you can live single without having sex- that's fine.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Kubel,

Paul says if you have the 'gift of God' (singleness) then remain as you are called (single).

Why is this generation SO focused on telling people NOT TO MARRY?

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Paul told Tim that marriage was good and not to be rejected. He had also told Tim that there would come those that would tell people not to get married, and those 'hypocrites' were liars ...

1 Tim 4: 1-5

1 Tim 4: 6

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That has to be CLOSE ... </font>[/QUOTE]==If you read Genesis 2:18 carefully you will find that it refers to Adam, "the man", and not everyman. Now the family is established here as the norm for the human race (2:24) however it is nowhere close to a mandate for all to be married. This is even more so when one see what God Himself said about this matter in Matthew 19:10-12 and 1Corinthians 7 about singleness and marriage.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is this generation SO focused on telling people NOT TO MARRY?

==I am not saying, nor is any other christian group/teacher/preacher, saying that people should not get married. Far from it. As I have said several times marriage is for the majority of people. It is the norm. The point here is that there is nothing wrong with people remaining single for a while or for life if they can (1Cor 7:6-7) however there is nothing wrong with marrying either (1Cor 7:28). What I said here last night, and it has recieved little reply, is that God has placed very few commands on whether or no a individual should be married/single. God seems to leave it up to the individual. Every person has to prayerfully make the decision themselves (1Cor 7:35-36). Nobody here is saying not to marry or that marriage is bad. That is not the issue.

Martin.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Martin,

Godly marriage is not the norm. That is why we have divorce.

Divorce is the reason given why so many Christians choose to live together rather than glorify God in marriage.

We have a problem.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Divorce is certainly a major problem and you are right that Godly marriage is not the norm.

Martin.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It doesn't, and it's not.
    That has to be CLOSE ... </font>[/QUOTE]If that's the case, then Paul is wrong, and scripture is therefore in error, when he says it is good to remain single.

Rather, scripture tells us that it is neither wrong to marry, nor is it wrong to remain single.

10. Nomad

Nomad New Member

I was feeling somewhat jocular in my previous post, but to be more serious there is nothing intrinsically sinful in being single. I think that if it were, Scripture would make that clear. Speaking personally, I feel no leading from the Lord to seek a wife at this time, and I don't have any sense that I am sinning in this attitude. I don't know if that's the "gift" of singleness, but I assume that if God wanted me to be married He would bring someone into my life. To me, purity is more important than marriage, and I am content to wait for the right (i.e., godly) woman to come along.