1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Snopes Rewritting History?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by PeterAV, Sep 6, 2005.

1. PeterAV

PeterAV New Member

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their conclusion that the story is false is belied by their own report of their investigation.

Based on what they wrote, their status would have to be "Unknown" instead of "False".

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Not really. Sometimes absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Among the reasons listed were no first-hand accounts, no second-hand accounts and no third-hand accounts - only a fourth-hand one. No mention of such a miracle by the Catholic News Service in a story on the area a month later. No such reports from Christian aid workers. No reports that the Christians were asked to hold services outside town. That the Moslem population was predominately moderate and the government was hostile to the radical group there. The lack of comtemporary reports that the Christians of the area were not allowed to worship. The number of similiar, mostly unsupported stories on the internet does not lend credibility.

I guess in Snopes view, no supporting facts when facts should be available equals false.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The snopes issue aside, I'm often concerned when well-meaning Christians will take rumored stories and circulate them as fact. I seem to recall scripture forbidding us from engaging in rumor and gossip. It doesn't say that rumor and gossip are okay if they are witnessing or evangelism tools.