1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is soul winning important in your church?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Soulman, Dec 4, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would disagee. The churches that makes disciples also win people to Christ and make disciples. But the church that thinks it is winning souls usually does little of either. Soul winning is different than salesmanship and making converts only. That is not soul winning. That is selling. The gospel is free but Jesus commanded us to follow Him and that costs us our life. Jesus paid the price for our salvation but we must receive him. That means we take him and follow him wholeheartedly.

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Broadus,
    Thank you for clarifying your position.

Posted by Broadus: You miss my point, however. My charge is that so much which passes for "soul winning" is nothing more than man-centered evangelism. It is a "gospel" that focuses upon the desires of humans than the glory of God.

There is alot of misguided soul-winning efforts out there to be sure. You are correct when you say that "The failure of modern "soul winning" is seen in the fact that the majority of "converts" are nowhere to be found." This is a tragedy. However, I believe that the motives behind most people are God centered. There are those that are looking for the perverbial notch in their belt. But I have served where Godly people really have a desire to serve God and as such tell others about Christ. These Churches are far and few between as there are alot of cookie cutter soul-winning churches out there.

You asked about assurance. But . . . "give assurance"? Again, where in the Bible do we find that a Christian gives another person assurance concerning his salvation?" We don't give assurance. We simply show in God's word where He gives assurance.

Rom. 8:35-39 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jn. 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

You state: Not the Romans Road and not saying a prayer of salvation.

You don't believe that the Romans Road and prayer of salvation carry the necessary information for a person to be saved? I disagree. People don't have to wait to become theologens to lead folks to Christ. When I got saved I told everyone I could think of. I had very little knowledge but knew where to send them.

You made some very good points concerning the majority of Christian soul-winning churches. I would rather see Christians at least attempting to give the gospel than see the alternative which is a bunch of fat cat Christians sitting around ever learning and never serving because they say it doesn't work. God's word will not return to him void.

I apologize to you if I seemed short in my other post.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

Soulman,

Thanks for your response. What I meant by the Romans Road remark is that too often it was used in a simplistic manner. I just don't see how a person can understand what it means to come to Christ with a ten-minute presentation and prayer.

Don't misunderstand--God can use whatever He chooses. Jesus, though, warned potential followers to make sure of their commitment before they decided to follow Him.

In no way am I saying that one must be a theologian to tell others about Christ. I'm not sure I can write this without being misunderstood, though. Too often the gospel is presented is such a manner that the recipient repeats a prayer in order to avoid hell---hence, the term "fire insurance." There is theology (that is a good word!) which we need to know to share the gospel adequately. We don't want hearers deceived with a partial telling of the Good News. We must understand that God alone is God, that He is holy and will not allow sin in His presence, that we are sinners by nature and by choice, that Christ, the incarnate God the Son, died on the cross in order to satisfy the wrath of God toward believing sinners by taking our place, that He rose on the third day, and that those who would be saved must repent of their sins and believe on Christ. You don't have to go to seminary to understand that.

Again, thanks for your response.

Blessings,
    Bill

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Every Christian is called to do personal evangelism.Every Christian is also to disciple those he/she has had a hand in thier conversion.

Every time the subject of personal evangelism comes up, especially if it is done in an organized way through the church,and even more so if the word soul-winning is used people go nuts crying "1-2-3 easy believism",Billy Graham,Jack Hyles", and stuff like that. Some don't believe in visitation,and some don't believe in inviting the neighbors across the street from the church to come and visit, some do.

I guess we will all answer for what we did do and did'nt do some day.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One question I like to ask them is, "Tell me about your neighbors?" Too many are so busy going to the church building that they do not even know their neighbors.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

7. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

Winning the souls of the lost to the Lord Jesus should be the Main objective for the Church!
    once they are saved we must get new converts into sunday school for Discipleship.

every message that is preached and taught in Church should point to the saving power of the Lord Jesus Christ otherwise we have missed the mark.